Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi, I am a new member - been here along time ago - maybe 5 or so years since we lost our Golden at 14 1/2 years. But my husband and I are now ready to rejoin as we are finally in a new home with a perfect yard for another Golden!

I am especially interested in anyone who may have a Golden young adult that needs a new home. My husband is not sure he can handle the housebreaking of a new puppy.

Thanks so much for your help in advance!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi, I know what your husband means about a puppy! Our 5 yr old Scottie was four months old when we got her, so we haven't had a puppy since 2001.

Do you already have a breeder?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, we do have a breeder. But we are finding it difficult to get an older puppy/young adult. Do you have any suggestions?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was wondering if there are any breeders that have some young adult dogs that may be available for adoption? My husband is not sure he can handle the housebreaking of a new puppy. But I know this is a difficult challenge for us and I want a Golden in our household sooner than later. We are open to either sex.
Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
9,019 Posts
Breeders often have older dogs available- but it would be helpful to know what part of the country you are in

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks so much.. I live in Fairfield County Connecticut. I am sorry I didn't mention that. We would drive hours to find the right dog.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Have you tried the puppy referral people at:

Hudson Valley GRC
Hudson Valley Golden Retriever Club: Contact

Southern Berkshire GRC
Southern Berkshire Golden Retriever Club

Connecticut River Valley GRC
Connecticut River Valley Golden Retriever Club

Even though the typical inquiry is for a puppy they may also know of breeders who for one reason or another have an adult available.

I also live in Fairfield County and I think these are the Golden breed clubs closest to us. There's also Yankee GRC up in Massachusetts Yankee Golden Retriever Club

·
Registered
Brady Aedan Finch and Wren
13,424 Posts
Can you also tell us what you are looking for? That is; companion, active companion, therapy, obedience/agility/field, a hunting companion, children's play mate etc.

I sent a PM about a possible youngster fairly close by you in NY.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looking for a companion to just my husband and me. We are 58 and 66 and no children. We have a fenced in 2 acre property with a pool just right for a dog to run around!! I love to take walks and know that this companion would get me out and about more often!

·
Super Moderator Leader
51,293 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I merged your two threads together so you will have all the replies and info in the same thread.

Best of luck to you in your search for a young adult.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'd look at the many GR rescues. I got Bella when she was 2 from a rescue and she was a wonderful, no problem love of my life for almost 10 years....

·
Registered
9,019 Posts
If travelling is an option, you might consider contacting Sue McGavick at [email protected] for the KY/OH areas, and I 'used to' be the informal GA/TN person, haven't quite made the FL person status yet having just moved here a year ago ! but I still hear of the GA TN dogs, and don't know of any in those states being rehomed anytime soon. Though they do come up and go quickly to new homes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I, too, am looking for a young adult male. I would love it if this forum had a special section to help those of us who are not wanting a "puppy" stage but would love to buy a young adult from a breeder. I am in No. California but would be willing to speak with an out of state breeder. Any recommendations appreciated. Prefer a male, if possible?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts