Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many years ago a good friend bred Afghan hounds and I can remember her saying (and I'm not certain of the exact age) that look at them good somewhere between 5 or 7 wks old and don't look again until they are several months old because they tend to go through some very sloppy growing stages. Does this happen with goldens? The reason I ask is because I have seen some very well bred pups look quite elbowed in at some points in their growing spurts, or feet that turn out a bit at the pasterns, only to mature into a very nice looking front. Are there stages in their growth that you just can't trust gangly look?
I know many breeders hold on to some pups to watch their development, is there an age range that you finally decide they are what they are?

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
Well my feeling has been to take pictures up to about 10 weeks of age and then wait till they are over two years old or older to start taking them again. :no:
Then can go thru a gawky (sloppy) stage. :)

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I agree with Hank. They do have some funny looking stages. Of course I still like to see pictures of them in those awkward stages.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
You mean like this?

That was Tucker when he was right around 4 months old. As you can see, they go through growth spurts and have periods when they are all legs and head, but have this skinny little body that is completely out of proportion to their legs and head. He had also just blown all of his puppy fuzz in this picture, which made him look even funnier. It will be interesting to see what Tyson looks like in a couple of months.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
jwemt81, you better not let Tucker see you posted that picture. He might file charges against you! ;)

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
jwemt81, you better not let Tucker see you posted that picture. He might file charges against you! ;)
It could be worse! I could post puppy bath pictures! :bowl:

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Yes they do go thru gawky stages and it is one of my favorite stages. I love when they are all legs and ears.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts