Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal policy, when a contract says,you must inform the breeder, for the LIFE OF THE DOG, IF YOU SHOULD GIVE UP THE DOG?

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
I do in my contract. And in my opinion any responsible/reputable breeder would have that or similar wording in their contract.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Yup! That's a typical part of an excellent breeder's contract. It prevents dogs from ending up in shelters and rescues. A great breeder is always willing to step in as the safety net to make sure the dog has a safe home.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
I had it in my breeder contract for my yorkies. I am in 1 of the owners wills if she passes before her pup does because she has no living family. This way he will be taken care of after her passing.

Reactions: goldensrbest

·
Kate
21,672 Posts
Well... if you go by contracts, except for our first golden (byb, no contract), each contract dictated that for any reason we had to give up our dogs, they had to go back to the breeder.

Whether they enforce this contract or not, I have no idea. The previous two maintained contact with us for a good portion of our dogs lives. The last breeder, whether they like it or not, I've maintained contact with them and made them aware of everything going on with our dog. They know the good and bad. I've seen that they've rehomed dogs before, so I imagine the owners do go back to them when there is any problem or change in household.

As far as why breeders do this... I'm guessing because of experiences like that of a breeder friend of mine who got out of breeding when she discovered that one of her dogs had been rehomed and abused by the new owners before winding up in rescue. <- This woman was very particular about where she placed her puppies and the fact that this happened despite her care made her decide to get out.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does no one question, the fact that if you return a dog to the breeder, that they again make money on that dog, if they sell it again? N o money is given back to thefirst person,that bought that dog. , that feels like the dog ,is just a material thing, that the breeder would do that, i understand the breeder wanting the dog placed in a good home, but selling again,just does not leave a good taste , to me.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Reselling would leave a bad taste in my mouth too. I always thought of it as a free rehoming process, and I wouldn't like to hear of a breeder reselling my dog. At the same time, there might be a situation where the breeder took the dog back, kept it for a while (and incurred food and medical expenses) and then charged a small fee to cover that when rehoming the dog. That wouldn't seem so bad.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Does it say you have to give it back or just let the breeder know?

What if you were giving the dog to say, your grown kids or had a good home lined up for it. Does the breeder get to say they cannot have that dog?

Once you have a bill of sale, isn't that dog property? Is it legally enforceable?

Just wondering....K

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If i give up this cute girl, i want the best for her, not sold, no o,utdoor living, i want her to be a inside dog, loved, cherished, taken care of like i do, , just trying to learn what they do, with returned dogs.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
does it say you have to give it back or just let the breeder know?

What if you were giving the dog to say, your grown kids or had a good home lined up for it. Does the breeder get to say they cannot have that dog?

Once you have a bill of sale, isn't that dog property? Is it legally enforceable?

Just wondering....k
if says i have to inform him, he has first rights to do what he wants, yes he told me i could not give her to a person i trust, to find a great home, susan marie.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
it could happen that way...sure....but most don't rub their hands with greedy-glee at that thought of trying to resell an adult dog. Its not as easy or as fast as placing a puppy.

However, EVERY time I look through Uncle Henry's I see owners trying to sell an adult dog for "X-Number" of dollars because they paid "X-number" of dollars and want to recoup their money.

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
Well, I return up to the purchase price of the original dog, depending on age and condition, so yes, I resell the puppy if I choose not to keep it. Sometimes the resell price is the same as the original selling price (young, healthy puppy or adolescent) and sometimes it's less. I did once take a dog back and did not refund any of the original selling price (and they did not expect it), because she had been backed over by a car and their vet did not properly set the bones. I put a few hundred more dollars into her, and when the right home came along, rehomed her at no fee to them, since I knew she would possibly have some arthritis in those broken bones.

I also had a puppy returned to me because the young daughter of the family was caught (twice) abusing the puppy. The parents were horrified, returned the puppy because they did not feel they could keep her from harm, and would not accept the check I wrote. The puppy was rehomed, and was a wonderful pet.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
if says i have to inform him, he has first rights to do what he wants, yes he told me i could not give her to a person i trust, to find a great home, susan marie.

That is what most breeders have in their contract. I something were to happen to me and my husband, Brady is to go back to the breeder not to a family member.

My friend who is a breeder, had a contract written by a lawyer, and the lawyer said that the contract was not enforceable.

·
Banned
616 Posts
If the breeder took the dog to the vet, and had to groom it, and do some training, I can see asking a re-homing fee. Breeding dogs if done right looses money. Its not free to show dogs, get all the health clearances, do hours of training, buy the best food on the market, house them in your home (wear and tear are increased tremendously.) If you think oh well they get $1500 dollars a puppy, finishing a dog in the states is around $15k if your lucky, let alone all the vet costs, health clearances, food, supplies ect ect....a reputable breeder as to do what they have to do to keep from going broke.

I generally believe a lot of pet owners have no idea what reputable breeders go through in terms of cost.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
Does no one question, the fact that if you return a dog to the breeder, that they again make money on that dog, if they sell it again? N o money is given back to thefirst person,that bought that dog. , that feels like the dog ,is just a material thing, that the breeder would do that, i understand the breeder wanting the dog placed in a good home, but selling again,just does not leave a good taste , to me.
Cozy was a rehome. She was returned to the breeder. I did not pay anywhere near full price for Cozy. The breeder did not make money on her in addition to the original purchase price. She had me make the check out to Cozy's first owner that had to return her. Cozy was sent back to the breeder because her 1st owner was diagnosed with breast cancer and did not have a strong support system for herself and did not want the puppy to suffer.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
T he story does keep changing, first he knew of people that call and want a older pup,for hunting, to no you can't rehome her, to now, he would keep her, make her his indoor dog, i just don't feel comfortable, with returning to breeder, i have had her since she was 8 weeks old, i love her, want the best for her, if i don't have enough to worry about,i have this problem now,

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
It is pretty standard--but as an owner I would be concerned if I was getting conflicting statements or I felt the breeder was not as reputable as I had been led to believe. For my pups, my contract states that the dog may be rehomed only to a home I approve, or else returned to me for rehoming, and any difference between my boarding/vet expenses and the fee paid by the new family goes to the original purchaser. I have also had friends have an 11y.o. senior dog returned to them due to the death of one owner and the other being too frail to manage the dog alone--she stayed with them until she passed at 13.

·
Kate
21,672 Posts
T he story does keep changing, first he knew of people that call and want a older pup,for hunting, to no you can't rehome her, to now, he would keep her, make her his indoor dog, i just don't feel comfortable, with returning to breeder, i have had her since she was 8 weeks old, i love her, want the best for her, if i don't have enough to worry about,i have this problem now,
Have you talked to other breeders... particularly those who recommended this person to you?

I can understand your hesitation to ship your dog, whom you've owned and bonded with for the past year, across the country to somebody who may not care about her specific welfare as much as you have.

To begin with, this guy shipped a puppy across the country after selling her to you, sight unseen, without interviewing you and evaluating your home.

I'm a little surprised that this breeder is having any issues about you rehoming her, unless this has to do with you being antagonistic about registering your dog.

Can you see if somebody local is willing to adopt her? Somebody who may be looking for a dog for hunt and obedience. See if that person could go to bat for you.

I honestly would be more comfortable talking to local trainers and local clubs vs shipping my dog across the country to be rehomed. It seems like that would put additional stress on the dog in what will already be a lot of stress and upheaval in her life.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
BaWaaJige would only go back to his breeder if my family decided not to keep him if anything should happen to me. I discussed all of this with my breeder before I ever decided to get a pup from her. I wanted to know that this pup would have a home no matter what.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.