Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again,
I posted earlier that I was looking for a breeder who wasn't a psycho or a puppy mill and was striking out big time. A friend of mine suggested an out of state breeder and based on the website, it looks like a good place but because of covid and the distance I can't go check the place out in person which is what I would usually do. So I was wondering if there is anyone here that knows how to interpret OFA and health clearances, just to make sure I'm not missing something.

Side note: why is it so hard to find responsible breeders?!? Some of the places I've found have made me downright sick. These poor dogs deserve better.

·
Puddles
3,959 Posts
Sadly finding a breeder is sometimes like finding a word in the dictionary. You almost need to know how to spell it to find it. It's easier when you know where to look and what to look for.

If you are searching by websites here are some tips to thin out some of the less than stellar breeders. A good breeder will have the registered names for each of their dogs listed and easy to find. Most have a link to their k9data page so you can look up the pedigree. k9data has a link to OFA information to confirm as k9data is user input and not everyone is truthful. If they have an upcoming litter they will usually have this info and a k9data link for this breeding.
Good breeders never refer to their dogs as "american" or "english cream". If the purpose of their breeding is to make money they are not necessarily interested in health or temperament and probably don't do any testing.
Good breeders are usually active in some venue with their dogs. Most will be members of the GRCA and happy to post it on their sites.
Please remember having a litter of puppies is a 4 month long process and this comes after months of planning to get the right pair to improve on the next generation. Good breeders only have a few litters a year and pups are sometimes spoken for before they are born but they do get cancellations, the supply is much smaller than the demand but so worth the wait.

I hope this helps your search. It's good to see you are searching for a breeder and not a puppy! If you want to post the general area you are looking there may be someone on the GRF that is familiar with breeders in your area.

·
Super Moderator
3,935 Posts
Watsundance

Glad that to hear that you are looking for a RESPONSIBLE breeder. I personally look for health clearances and like to see CCA on the parents. Just be patient.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Hello again,
I posted earlier that I was looking for a breeder who wasn't a psycho or a puppy mill and was striking out big time. A friend of mine suggested an out of state breeder and based on the website, it looks like a good place but because of covid and the distance I can't go check the place out in person which is what I would usually do. So I was wondering if there is anyone here that knows how to interpret OFA and health clearances, just to make sure I'm not missing something.

Side note: why is it so hard to find responsible breeders?!? Some of the places I've found have made me downright sick. These poor dogs deserve better.
I don't think anyone has yet addressed your first question... If you can post the name of the kennel here you can get feedback on the breeder (or at least our impression of their website and whether they have a "presence" on k9Data or within the reputable Golden community). If you post the registered names of the parents (sire and dam), we can absolutely take a look at the clearances and give you some feedback there.

As to your second question... a lot of reputable breeders don't maintain a website. They are able to maintain a wait list of buyers who want their puppies through reputation and word of mouth. On the other hand, those who are breeding to make money off puppies almost always have a website, which may be why you are finding a disproportionate number of "poor" breeders in your search. That's not to say that there aren't many reputable breeders that have a website, it's just those that don't are a lot harder to find. That's why we often recommend contacting the breeder referral person for the local Golden Retriever club, or asking other reputable breeders for referrals, or coming here for recommendations...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Watsundance

Glad that to hear that you are looking for a RESPONSIBLE breeder. I personally look for health clearances and like to see CCA on the parents. Just be patient.
What's CCA? I'm not in a rush to get another pup (losing my two so close to each other kind of tore me up and with the pandemic I'm sure that will complicate things) but figured I'd start looking. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sadly finding a breeder is sometimes like finding a word in the dictionary. You almost need to know how to spell it to find it. It's easier when you know where to look and what to look for.

If you are searching by websites here are some tips to thin out some of the less than stellar breeders. A good breeder will have the registered names for each of their dogs listed and easy to find. Most have a link to their k9data page so you can look up the pedigree. k9data has a link to OFA information to confirm as k9data is user input and not everyone is truthful. If they have an upcoming litter they will usually have this info and a k9data link for this breeding.
Good breeders never refer to their dogs as "american" or "english cream". If the purpose of their breeding is to make money they are not necessarily interested in health or temperament and probably don't do any testing.
Good breeders are usually active in some venue with their dogs. Most will be members of the GRCA and happy to post it on their sites.
Please remember having a litter of puppies is a 4 month long process and this comes after months of planning to get the right pair to improve on the next generation. Good breeders only have a few litters a year and pups are sometimes spoken for before they are born but they do get cancellations, the supply is much smaller than the demand but so worth the wait.

I hope this helps your search. It's good to see you are searching for a breeder and not a puppy! If you want to post the general area you are looking there may be someone on the GRF that is familiar with breeders in your area.
I've been

Thank you for this info. I was a little confused by the whole English Cream thing as many of the sites that I saw listing them seemed pretty dubious.
I've got "dual residency" so I split my time between Utah and Texas. I'm willing to drive (or fly depending on pandemic situation) about anywhere in the US or Canada though to get a healthy pup from a responsible breeder. I'm currently looking at some in Wisconsin because I gave up on the Intermountain West (so many backyard breeders and people trying to make a fast buck) and I have a friend in WI that I could visit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi all and thank you for your help so much! I really am new at this but want to do it as "right" as possible. The breeder I'm currently looking at is https://nalynsgoldens.com/ I'm not sure the dam and sire yet because I'll probably get on a waiting list. If you could let me know if this is somewhere worth checking out that would be super helpful! I wanna make sure before arranging travel plans. I split my time between Utah and Texas but I'm currently in the "Utah phase" of my year but I couldn't find anyone nearby that didn't look super sketchy (and some were downright combative when I asked them health questions). It doesn't look like Utah has a club or anyone to refer and the closest Texas club won't do referrals so I thought maybe it was time to plan a road trip to my friend in WI and pick up a pup along the way.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dk why it is hard.
If you will post sire and dam info there are several people here who are very good interpreters.
I don't know the dam and sire yet because I'm pretty sure I'll be put on a waiting list but here is the breeder I've been thinking about Nalyns Goldens – Golden Retrievers Wisconsin I've been looking all over the Utah/Idaho area but have only found BYB and people looking to make a quick buck to fund their kids' after school activites. I don't want to support that sort of breeding in any way.

·
Super Moderator
3,935 Posts
What's CCA? I'm not in a rush to get another pup (losing my two so close to each other kind of tore me up and with the pandemic I'm sure that will complicate things) but figured I'd start looking. Thanks for your help!
CCA is Certificate of Conformation Assessment. It is a non competitive one on one evaluation where dogs are assessed against a standard and not against each other. If a dog doesn't have a CCA I would ask why.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know the dam and sire yet because I'm pretty sure I'll be put on a waiting list but here is the breeder I've been thinking about Nalyns Goldens – Golden Retrievers Wisconsin I've been looking all over the Utah/Idaho area but have only found BYB and people looking to make a quick buck to fund their kids' after school activites. I don't want to support that sort of breeding in any way.
A friend of mine also recommended Trilogy Goldens, Golden Retrievers, Sherwood, OR in Oregon.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I'm afraid Nalyn's Goldens has been discussed (negatively) on this forum many times in the past (use the search function to find old threads). I know there are a LOT of great breeders in Texas (you may want to do a search on "Texas breeders" as well to see who has been recommended). I'm sure others will hop on this thread with other suggestions for you...

·
Registered
490 Posts
You also asked about Trilogy. I took a quick look at their site and a quick look at the K9Data listings for some of their studs and they look like a much better bet to be a responsible breeder. If you begin to go that route, post the registered names of the dam and sire (or proposed/planned dam and sire) here and we can do a deeper dive into the actual parents/litter.

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,256 Posts
You also asked about Trilogy. I took a quick look at their site and a quick look at the K9Data listings for some of their studs and they look like a much better bet to be a responsible breeder. If you begin to go that route, post the registered names of the dam and sire (or proposed/planned dam and sire) here and we can do a deeper dive into the actual parents/litter.
Careful, though. There's a Trilogy here in California that is a very good and responsible breeder (her dogs and ours routinely duke it out in the show ring, and I really like what she's breeding), so simply searching for "Trilogy" won't necessarily get you to the Oregon breeder.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A friend of mine also recommended Trilogy Goldens, Golden Retrievers, Sherwood, OR in Oregon.
And t
I'm afraid Nalyn's Goldens has been discussed (negatively) on this forum many times in the past (use the search function to find old threads). I know there are a LOT of great breeders in Texas (you may want to do a search on "Texas breeders" as well to see who has been recommended). I'm sure others will hop on this thread with other suggestions for you...
OH WOW!!! I super dodged a bullet on that one! Thank you so much! I didn't think to try straight up googling the breeder here. I'm glad that you suggested that. Dang, that sounds like a completely bonkers situation. And I thought because it was a silver breeder that it would be a good choice.

If anyone does know of breeders in Texas I would be super grateful for the information. The one that I went to personally check out had about 20 dogs running in a field and couldn't really tell who the dad was of the litter they had. It was a strange situation...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you SO MUCH for your help! I'll do a bit more digging.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Use the search bar to look for "Texas breeders." There looks to be quite a few threads, including one that's fairly recent...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts