Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! We lost our golden of 12 years back in February. It’s been really tough on the family, especially the kids. We are looking to add a new member to the family towards the end of the year or the beginning of next year. We are starting the process of looking for a reputable breeder of golden retrievers.

Can anyone provide current information on Golden Creek Kennels in Durham, NC?

All the best and thank you!

·
Registered
758 Posts
It doesn't look good to me from the website. No registered names listed on the website. I didn't even see the name of the breeders listed. It looks like a large scale breeding operation.

Do you know the registered names of the parents?

Hopefully someone else will take a look.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello everyone! We lost our golden of 12 years back in February. It’s been really tough on the family, especially the kids. We are looking to add a new member to the family towards the end of the year or the beginning of next year. We are starting the process of looking for a reputable breeder of golden retrievers.

Can anyone provide current information on Golden Creek Kennels in Durham, NC?

All the best and thank you!
So sorry for your loss. Happened upon this recently, which I bet speaks to many of us:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It doesn't look good to me from the website. No registered names listed on the website. I didn't even see the name of the breeders listed. It looks like a large scale breeding operation.

Do you know the registered names of the parents?

Hopefully someone else will take a look.
Thank you so much for feedback. We are new to this and finding a reputable breeder is so important. The parents names are Thor (dad) and River (mom). How do we find out if registered? She said the dogs were AKC registered but the puppies are ACA or UCA registered? Thx for help. I found bad comments on this breeder in 2011 but pretty positive since then.

·
Kate
21,060 Posts
Thank you so much for feedback. We are new to this and finding a reputable breeder is so important. The parents names are Thor (dad) and River (mom). How do we find out if registered? She said the dogs were AKC registered but the puppies are ACA or UCA registered? Thx for help. I found bad comments on this breeder in 2011 but pretty positive since then.
If one or both of the parents have limited registration - that means any puppies produced cannot be registered.

If you come across any like that, I'd publicly share the parents registration #'s - because people should NOT be breeding dogs left and right like that. Whoever they bought their dogs from should kinda know what's going on.

Oh, and 6 upcoming litters? That's kinda like a puppy mill...

·
Super Moderator
907 Posts
That’s a big reg flag. Those are essentially puppy mill registries, or registries that are used when the puppies cannot be registered with AKC because the parent dogs were not sold with breeding rights.

·
Registered
758 Posts
That's what I sort of expected. So I doubt they do any health testing. I would RUN away from this breeder. The fact that they take credit cards is alarming as well. To find the registered names you would have to ask the breeder. If I were you I would ask the question.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's what I sort of expected. So I doubt they do any health testing. I would RUN away from this breeder. The fact that they take credit cards is alarming as well. To find the registered names you would have to ask the breeder. If I were you I would ask the question.
Thank you so much for the feedback. Very helpful. Will keep searching.

·
Puddles
3,682 Posts
Something to watch for when searching... any breeder that advertises having a "foster" program, takes credit cards or has 6 litters coming at the same time is NOT someone that cares about providing you with a healthy puppy from parents with OFA clearances for the many health issues that plague the golden retriever.
A good breeder never promotes the English vs American... they are all golden retrievers. Good breeders are proud of their dogs and of all the work they put into making puppies. They will proudly show registered names, usually have links to k9data... which contains a link to OFA to verify clearances. They proudly have titles before and most times, after the names. If you want to know what these titles mean, AKC has a list. This is how breeders verify their dogs can learn a skill and have the temperament we all have come to expect in a golden.
Golden Creek is all about taking your money and has no concern for the product they are selling and guessing their price is the same if not higher than getting a quality bred puppy. Don't know about you but if I'm paying for a Tesla I'm not accepting a Kia just because it will get me to work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. It’s so sad to lose a precious family member. After a similar loss, and several months of mourning, I started my search for my puppy. Since I was willing to fly to pick up my puppy, using an airline that allows puppies to be in the cabin with me, I searched nation-wide. I diligently studied all the breeders’ websites and looked at the number of sires and dams they use. I checked to see if each dogs’ pedigree and health information was available. If not, I passed on any further research on that breeder.
If the information was on the website, I looked to see how they place their puppies ( do they have an application, do they speak with the potential puppy parent over the phone, etc.). Then I looked at the number of litters expected. If more than 3 or 4 litters were expected over the course of 18 months or 2 years, I looked deeper. It’s not unusual for a reputable breeder to have a few dogs with them and to also have relationships with owners of dogs with whom they breed and are well cared for (pedigrees and health certificates also available). I know this because years ago I bread my golden under these circumstances.
After months of research, I narrowed my search to two breeders: one on the West Coast and one in the Mid West.
I then called each and had a few conversations. I determined that the breeder on the West Coast was the best fit for me. I waited 7 months for the breeding to take place. My puppy was born in April and I’ll drive to pick her up in June. I get pictures of the litter every week. Next week I’ll get both pictures and videos.
My search was long and extensive, and it’s a long wait for my fur baby, but it’s worth it! She’s going to be a member of my family for many years, so to me she’s worth the wait.

·
Puddles
3,682 Posts
Hi. It’s so sad to lose a precious family member. After a similar loss, and several months of mourning, I started my search for my puppy. Since I was willing to fly to pick up my puppy, using an airline that allows puppies to be in the cabin with me, I searched nation-wide. I diligently studied all the breeders’ websites and looked at the number of sires and dams they use. I checked to see if each dogs’ pedigree and health information was available. If not, I passed on any further research on that breeder.
If the information was on the website, I looked to see how they place their puppies ( do they have an application, do they speak with the potential puppy parent over the phone, etc.). Then I looked at the number of litters expected. If more than 3 or 4 litters were expected over the course of 18 months or 2 years, I looked deeper. It’s not unusual for a reputable breeder to have a few dogs with them and to also have relationships with owners of dogs with whom they breed and are well cared for (pedigrees and health certificates also available). I know this because years ago I bread my golden under these circumstances.
After months of research, I narrowed my search to two breeders: one on the West Coast and one in the Mid West.
I then called each and had a few conversations. I determined that the breeder on the West Coast was the best fit for me. I waited 7 months for the breeding to take place. My puppy was born in April and I’ll drive to pick her up in June. I get pictures of the litter every week. Next week I’ll get both pictures and videos.
My search was long and extensive, and it’s a long wait for my fur baby, but it’s worth it! She’s going to be a member of my family for many years, so to me she’s worth the wait.
Congratulations on the new puppy! Great job, it's so worth it to wait. Be safe on your journey! I hope you will share pics when you get back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts