Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm a new user looking for some help! I've been doing a lot of research recently on breeders of Golden Retrievers and am finding it quite overwhelming/hard to sift through the disreputable breeders. My family has always gotten dogs from shelters, but I'd prefer a puppy and want to get one from a reputable breeder.

I am looking for a service/emotional support dog (yes, I'm aware there's a difference; my dog will only be certified as an ESA but will need to be trained to do specialized tasks to assist with my disorder). I don't care about having a show-quality dog, but I DO want a healthy dog with a good temperament, who comes from an ethical breeder who cares about the health of their puppies and dogs. I live in southern Kansas, but am willing to drive for the perfect pup! I'm a college student; I have a job and have funds to care for a dog, but with costs for training and such I would prefer not to spend several thousand dollars on the pup alone.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi! I'm glad you are looking for a reputable breeder. I only have experience with one breeder, but there are many threads on this forum with lists of ethical breeders. I would search for "breeders in the mid west" or more specifically "breeders in Kansas". I can say that, unfortunately, for a well bred dog, you are looking at around $2000. Depending on the area you could spend as little as $1800 or as much as $3000. If this is not something you can afford, or are not willing to spend, then I suggest sticking with the adoption route. If you find a puppy for less than a thousand, make sure to throughly check the health clearances because it is likely a scam/puppy mill.

I sincerely hope you find a well bred puppy because I am planning something similar for my puppy. I know it will be a long and hard process, and you will want to give up sometimes but keep on persevering!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts