Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I'm going to be a first time dog owner and I want to do it right. I've been trying to research reputable Golden Retriever breeders around the NE area (I'm from MA) and it is quite overwhelming. I have a couple that I found:

Whalen's Wonderful Golden Retrievers in NY
GousinsGoldens of Wilmington in VT
Golden Dreams Golden in Union, NJ

Does anyone have any input on these that I found or have any reputable breeders they know?! Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't have any input on the above breeders. But if you are from MA you should check out Diedre Doyle of Errigal Goldens in New Hampshire. She is reputable and certainly has the best goldens in the area! Good luck with your search! You made the right choice for a Golden!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have any input on the above breeders. But if you are from MA you should check out Diedre Doyle of Errigal Goldens in New Hampshire. She is reputable and certainly has the best goldens in the area! Good luck with your search! You made the right choice for a Golden!
thank you so much!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't know those breeders, but am also in MA, and have heard very good things about Beau Geste (in Acton), and Lazy Daze.

A friend has had three dogs from Golden-B-Bear in New Hampshire, and they are lovely dogs, but you need to be ok with the dietary and vaccine protocols she expects her buyers to follow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know those breeders, but am also in MA, and have heard very good things about Beau Geste (in Acton), and Lazy Daze.

A friend has had three dogs from Golden-B-Bear in New Hampshire, and they are lovely dogs, but you need to be ok with the dietary and vaccine protocols she expects her buyers to follow.
thank you, will check them out too!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you checked with the Yankee Golden Retriever Club breeder referral? I spoke to them when we started our search, and she was very helpful.

Finding a puppy is a challenge right now, but IMO it is worth the wait to find a good breeder and the right dog for you.

Yes I have, just waiting for an email back from them! Thank you!

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
Cranbrook Goldens in Vermont, Tangleloft Goldens in MA

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Here‘s a recent thread you may find helpful. Looking For Breeder Advice [New England]

In this thread I listed all the breeders I had researched and felt were reputable a year or two ago. I’m not ”recommending” them necessarily, but it’s a good place to start.

There are other, similar threads in the forum... you should be able to use the search engine to find them...

I'm not familiar with the breeders you listed, but I’ll take a quick look and let you know...

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Reactions: nova ISO golden

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Gouins “doesn’t believe in testing eyes” (recommended by the GRCA to be done yearly), and none of the dogs I checked had all the required health clearances (heart, eyes, hips, and elbows). Her main stud does not show an elbow clearance, or an eye clearance, and his cardiac was done by a practitioner (should be done by a cardiologist for Goldens).

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Couldn’t find much on Golden Dreams, but going by their AKC Marketplace listing they don’t belong to any breed clubs. I would need some registered names or numbers for her dogs to research on K9Data or OFA but my gut says this is a backyard breeder who doesn’t adhere to the GRCA Code of Ethics.

BTW - Just FYI the AKC Marketplace is rarely used by reputable breeders... it’s mostly a place the backyard breeders use for cheap advertising. That said, you will occasionally find reputable breeders there... you will know them because most or all of the club membership/dogs compete categories will be checked and they’ll talk about clearances, conformation championships, club memberships, and things they do with their dogs. Check out the Marketplace listings for Royal River and Sunkissed to see what a breeder who may be worth pursuing would look like (and compare them to most of the other New England listings.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi! I am in the exact same boat. I posted a similar question a week or so ago, you can find it here: Breeder Reviews and Recommendations. I am a NJ resident, so it is naturally more so focused in that area. Hopefully it helps you :D
Good luck, please keep us apprised on how you proceed. I'd love to hear who you end up selecting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Couldn’t find much on Golden Dreams, but going by their AKC Marketplace listing they don’t belong to any breed clubs. I would need some registered names or numbers for her dogs to research on K9Data or OFA but my gut says this is a backyard breeder who doesn’t adhere to the GRCA Code of Ethics.

BTW - Just FYI the AKC Marketplace is rarely used by reputable breeders... it’s mostly a place the backyard breeders use for cheap advertising. That said, you will occasionally find reputable breeders there... you will know them because most or all of the club membership/dogs compete categories will be checked and they’ll talk about clearances, conformation championships, club memberships, and things they do with their dogs. Check out the Marketplace listings for Royal River and Sunkissed to see what a breeder who may be worth pursuing would look like (and compare them to most of the other New England listings.
thank you for all this information!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi! I am in the exact same boat. I posted a similar question a week or so ago, you can find it here: Breeder Reviews and Recommendations. I am a NJ resident, so it is naturally more so focused in that area. Hopefully it helps you :D
Good luck, please keep us apprised on how you proceed. I'd love to hear who you end up selecting.
thank you!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts