Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Really Loves Goldens
Sadie, my 3rd Golden and 1st Female.
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello group,

I've been away from the forum for a good while due to some health issues, and life, etc...:--pipe: but I've worked thru much of that and it's nice to be back on the forum.

My last Golden died Christmas Day at 11YO to Hemangiosarcoma - the same cancer that took my first Golden at 13YO. Dear God it's a terrible thing to happen to such a wonderful dog.

So I've been shopping for a puppy and I've had many questions arise. I've learned a lot, but have long ways to go. Currently I'm looking at a puppy that's looking like he might be the one but the Grand Sire has an eye issue that concerns me because I don't understand it. This is it:
NORMAL W/BREEDER OPTIONS NOTED E2:posterior Suture Tip Opacities
This dog has produced lots of dogs with good clearances and quite a few champions. CH and Intl CH scattered about starting with 3rd gen and on thru 5th gen. OFA clearances that I've had time to review are good except a few Fair Hips, and several are missing Thyroid - especially on the older generations.

I'm copying just the eye results from OFA to keep this shorter. Maybe I can get some feedback from some of you.
This dog's DOB is May 2012, and he's a CH. Hey, at least they have kept up with his eye exams. Results follow:

GR-EYE1196/22M-VPI EYES Mar 31 2014 * 22 NORMAL

GR-EYE1196/34M-VPI EYES Apr 23 2015 * 34 NORMAL W/BREEDER OPTIONS NOTED E2:posterior Suture Tip Opacities

GR-EYE1196/46M-VPI EYES Apr 17 2016 * 46 NORMAL W/BREEDER OPTIONS NOTED D1:Uveal Cyst

GR-EYE1196/61M-VPI EYES Jul 20 2017 61 NORMAL W/BREEDER OPTIONS NOTED D1:Uveal Cyst

I've spent hours trying to find out if this Posterior Suture is hereditary and everything I've found is too complex for me. I've used good resources - vets, vet schools, and research organizations. I did find one site that said they do not believe they are hereditary. I also just discovered today that they can show up as young as 7 to 8 weeks, and then resolve. This site said that they can resolve on their own or they can become cataracts.

I've looked at several of the dog's offspring, siblings, dam and sire and haven't seen the Sutures or Uveal Cyst. But since I only found one site that said they weren't hereditary and all other sites were vague I'd like to hear from you guys.

The fact that the sutures showed up in 2015, and didn't show in 2016 or 2017 makes me wonder - did they resolve or did the Breeder/owner not list it because of the uveal cyst? Or are they treatable? Looked that up too and struck out.

I called the breeder and she hasn't replied. The owner passed away so I can't go to the source.

Thanks for any help.

Regards, and happy to be back.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Ah....this is one of those really weird things.
MANY eye doctors consider this a *normal* finding, and don't even note it on the exam. I've been told by one that if you look in the right light, you will see them in just about all dogs.
That might be why it was noted on some CERF exams, but not others.

·
Registered
8,831 Posts
It wouldn't be a choice the owner could make on listing it. I would assume it either resolved or the next ophthalmologists did not see it.If they did, it would be there. Uveal cysts- if they are pigmented, there is a suspected connection to PU. If not, not.

·
Really Loves Goldens
Sadie, my 3rd Golden and 1st Female.
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah....this is one of those really weird things.
MANY eye doctors consider this a *normal* finding, and don't even note it on the exam. I've been told by one that if you look in the right light, you will see them in just about all dogs.
That might be why it was noted on some CERF exams, but not others.
Thanks Hotel, I like the way u described it as this is one of those really weird things. Because after I spent so much time researching it and not really learning anything - your description is perfect.
Your further comments on this disorder are very interesting, and since I've starting doing fairly detailed research on clearances, and talked to people, I've come to the conclusion that this testing can be really objective in some cases. You could have 3 docs look at a hip x-ray and get 2 or 3 different opinions. And Hotel, you and Robin both just confirmed my opinion there.

And Robin, Thx - I learned something new about the health clearances results details. "Breeder options" made me think that the breeder/owner had the option to declare it. And thanks to your post on another eye related question, I know that Uveal Cysts ARE something to be concerned about and it confirmed my previous research that tells about them potentially progressing into PU. So the advice was to make certain you get the eyes checked yearly. (even if you're not breeding/showing your dog)

I love this Golden on-line Encyclopedia! :nerd:

I hope this is my puppy, but since it's a 6 hour drive all I have to go by is pics and pedigrees and my conversations with the breeder. When/if I actually get there I could get a vibe that says this isn't the pup for me. I have to keep my head into it and leave my heart out of the decision. Not having Tyler at my side for 2 months has made me get a little too anxious and I've had encounters with 2 very unscrupulous breeders - because I jumped too quickly. But at least I figured it out before I bought a pup from them, and I learned from it. There are ways to do some of my homework before I get into discussions with the breeder.

Okay - Off Topic - Sorry. Wish me luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts