Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Breeder of the Pack | Breeder of the Pack: Share your thoughts

Animal Planet are planning on featuring a breeder of goldendoodles on their "Breeder of the Pack" show.

Please support the breeders who are trying to preserve and improve golden retrievers by making a comment to Animal Planet.

While reputable breeders do various testing to reduce the risk for genetic issues, breeders of the designer breeds do none! This testing and showing their dogs to ensure that they conform to breed standards, and participating in various other training costs lots of $$$$$. Breeders of designers dogs, including goldendoodles do no such trialling but just pocket the $$$$$.

It's time that we spoke out & tell breeders of these designer breeds that they are just mutts. Please go onto the sight & have your say!

Reactions: cubbysan

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
My response is "awaiting approval." This is hardly the first time AP has chosen to promote "designer dogs." They did one of those Dogs 101 shows on doodles a little while ago too. One would have thought they'd think better of it after the comments they received from that show. Unfortunately for them, like doodle breeders, it's all about the bottom line... make that lining their wallet.

Julie, Jersey and Oz

·
Registered
13,077 Posts
UGH.

"Pick a Puppy" here in Canada has also featured GoldenDoodle "breeders" - and even let it go when a breeder talked about how the mixes were healthier than pure Goldens. Though nothing about clearances or anything health-related at all for the doodles. I went straight to CMT's website, but found no place to send a comment, either to the network, or to the individual show.

Reactions: Phillyfisher

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Mine is awaiting approval too.

·
Registered
788 Posts
This infuriates me. They try to come off as they are better than any pure bred out there... bet they won't advertise when people complain that the pups have severe health issues after a few years.

I was looking at the website and what in the heck is this??? bernedoodles :confused: I have never seen these before and I would be scared to see what an adult one looks like... note that the breeder says "we have been waiting for tri coloured standards for a long time" meaning they keep pumping out puppies until they get the ones they want. :yuck:

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Did anyone look at the breeder referenced? So sad--

Goldendoodles
Wowzers! Look at all those girls she has.. and most have just prelims done.. and why is she keeping the goldendoodles?? thought she was just doing the f1 crosses.. yikes..minigoldendoodles..bernesedoodles.. c'mon on now people..

·
Registered
3,645 Posts

·
Banned
616 Posts
what is really disgusting aside from every dog having prelims (no finals) and the hearts done mostly by a practitioner. If you look at Carrie (on of their females) and Enya, they posted the same eye clearance for BOTH of them, with the same name........so they are clearly forging one of their health clearances. That is one of the most sick things I've seen. Clearly AP, doesn't do very much research for their shows, this is destroying their credibility IMO.

They also uploaded a "females"(as the male/female block is filled in as a female) eye clearance for their Canadian champion stud......this sort of thing makes me mad, as the average person would NOT notice that. On top of the fact that the Canadian champion is apparently 27 inches tall and 110lbs!!!! seriously I hope not, or my respect for a canadian champion will be gone.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Did anyone look at the breeder referenced? So sad--

Goldendoodles

Wow and the male berner she has up for sale on 'older dogs' is $3500 and has a good hip rating which is 'very rare for a bernease mountain dog'

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
I have a close friend who has two Goldendoodles. She adores those two dogs and firmly believes they are the best. I don't find them particularly wonderful.

Personally I find it odd that people are paying for mixed breed dogs but it seems to appeal to a lot of them for different reasons. A lot of people are scared by all the stories about the genetic problems of purebreds; some are put off by the "eliteness" of having a purebred. A lot of people at the dog park go out of their way to tell anyone who will listen about how they got their purebred dog from a rescue group. As if buying from a breeder is a bad thing.

With all that said, most breeds recognized as breeds today resulted from a breeder somewhere combining different dogs to achieve a desired result. Most of us know the history of Goldens and what other breeds went into their makeup. There aren't all that many truly ancient breeds.

To play devil's advocate, who are we to judge?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Just an FYI - the "American Champion" sire she calls "Catch A Falling Star" is this dog: Pedigree: Laurell's Catch A Falling Star

According to AKC, he has ZERO points towards his Championship. He used to be owned by a guy who called his breeding program "Champion Golden Retrievers"

BTW, she is in violation of the CKC's by-laws by breeding mixes:
That they shall not engage in the breeding, buying or selling of dogs that are not purebred, unless such activity is consistent with the Objects of the Club and has received the prior approval of the Board;
That's from section 7.2 of the CKC By-Laws. A complaint can be filed but for non-members of the CKC, it's about $300 canadian.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Yikes. Am I the only one who sees a lot of overweight female goldens on her website? No way they are the weights she is saying. Sad that people get duped into the hype. I have yet to meet a doodle with decent temperment. We only see the nut jobs in our classes. People love those doodles though. They seem to get lots of attention when I do see them out. I will never understand the craze....

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
Our local shelter has a doodle bred by a local vet who was surrendered bc of mass allergies - and they won't take it back or take responsibility for it. grrrrrrr.

Reactions: Jamm

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
Yikes. Am I the only one who sees a lot of overweight female goldens on her website? No way they are the weights she is saying. Sad that people get duped into the hype. I have yet to meet a doodle with decent temperment. We only see the nut jobs in our classes. People love those doodles though. They seem to get lots of attention when I do see them out. I will never understand the craze....
Nope. I saw a lot of fat dogs. I even remembering her mentioning how at least one of her goldens was a perfect show dog with highly desired conformation.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts