Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Investigating a breeder in Northern CA for potential purchase of a puppy in several months. Breeder says that she no longer provides AKC registration numbers as she has had scammers use that information to create a fake social media site which was fraudulently trying to get people’s money for puppy reservations using her sire and dam AKC numbers. Has anyone heard of this being an issue? I had, in fact, read on the breeder’s FB page that she was alerting people that she had been scammed and not to communicate with her via FB. Is there another way that I can get access to health clearances without the registration numbers? Although I trust in all of our communication I don’t think it would be wise to pay for a reservation for an upcoming litter without seeing health clearances.

·
Kate
21,688 Posts
What?

No. That's nonsense. Thieves are more likely to steal PICTURES of dogs, including puppy pictures. People have found images of their puppies on scammers websites. Or pictures of their dogs....

If people wanted a goldmine for registration numbers, they could simply do random searches on AKC! LOLOLOL.

They could also do random searches on OFA for that matter.

Or K9Data.

So I would make it clear to this woman before walking away..... registration numbers are not the same thing as social security numbers....

The only reason to hide that information is 3 reasons -

1. She's breeding dogs she's not allowed to breed (ie limited registration, puppies not getting any AKC registration)
2. She's embarrassed by the pedigree she has - while overcharging for pups.
3. No clearances and she's keeping that from prospective buyers.

·
Premium Member
18,421 Posts
You can get the registered name of the dog without the actual registration number and look them up on OFA or K9Data easily. So ask her for the specific registered name without the number. If she won't give you that, walk away, she's not a reputable breeder.

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
Not happening. People are stealing photos, but reg numbers are everywhere and easily obtained.
With Myslissyk ask for names but if she won't share realize one of the conditions Kate mentioned is in place, that, or she's got a mental condition where she imagines people want to steal her stuff.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Scammers are creative and they always have a new scam coming. Ask breeder if there is any way she can get the sire and dam clearance info to you in a way that she would feel did not invite scamming. I always give people the benefit of the doubt, but just once.

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
Scammers are creative and they always have a new scam coming. Ask breeder if there is any way she can get the sire and dam clearance info to you in a way that she would feel did not invite scamming. I always give people the benefit of the doubt, but just once.
You can figuratively go to k9data.com, OFA.org and AKC.org and get every single AKC number listed all those places. This is ignorance or worse on this breeder's part. And not only that, if the registered name is given, the akc number is provided on AKC.org and OFA.org to go with that name. The excuse of scammers is just ignorance and gotta wonder how good a breeder this is if she doesn't know these elementary tidbits of info.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you so much for all the input! I will reach out to her and ask for the registered names of the sire and dam and continue to investigate the health histories. Obviously I don’t have a lot of experience with this and thought that one could only find the OFA information with AKC registration numbers.

·
Maegan
737 Posts
Kinda sounds like she’s the scammer to me. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Reactions: StarBright

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
What needs to be safeguarded is the Certificate Issued date on the AKC registation.

This combined with the other numbers (birthdate, registration numbers etc) is how someone can falsely register a litter ... this happened to a breeder I know. But AKC needs that date to register a litter. The other information is readily shared.

Reactions: StarBright

·
Registered
879 Posts
I would take a hard pass. Not a great way to build a relationship that you should have with a breeder.
Jules

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,527 Posts
I frankly can't imagine what scam someone could pull with a registration number. Sounds weird to me.

Reactions: BlazenGR

·
Registered
88 Posts
What needs to be safeguarded is the Certificate Issued date on the AKC registation.

This combined with the other numbers (birthdate, registration numbers etc) is how someone can falsely register a litter ... this happened to a breeder I know. But AKC needs that date to register a litter. The other information is readily shared.
Thanks for sharing, I didn’t know that about the certificate issue date. Good to know.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Investigating a breeder in Northern CA for potential purchase of a puppy in several months. Breeder says that she no longer provides AKC registration numbers as she has had scammers use that information to create a fake social media site which was fraudulently trying to get people’s money for puppy reservations using her sire and dam AKC numbers. Has anyone heard of this being an issue? I had, in fact, read on the breeder’s FB page that she was alerting people that she had been scammed and not to communicate with her via FB. Is there another way that I can get access to health clearances without the registration numbers? Although I trust in all of our communication I don’t think it would be wise to pay for a reservation for an upcoming litter without seeing health clearances.
Most the breeders I know willingly post their dogs on K-9 Data with links there to their OFA health clearances. They are proud to have people see the great pedigrees with many generations of cleared and titled relatives. In the pass I had contacted a local breeder, that attended my church. She told me her dogs had their clearances, but always had an excuse why she couldn’t provide AKC numbers or registered names. Needless to say I did not get a pup from her. Later I found a couple of her dogs that were on K-9 data, with little or no clearances or titles. Of course they all claim Champion lines. My first golden, 1981, was from a BYB, claiming “Champion lines”. Later after I learned more, and added him and his parents, grandparents, etc to k-9 data, there was nothing in his pedigree going way back. Now as more dogs have been added, there are some Champions, too far back to matter. So beware of many false or misleading claims of titles, clearances, etc. They could be claiming these from relatives 10-20 or more years in the past not the actual parents or grandparents of the litter.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts