Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
DAC
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I found a breeder that I really like. It's Adirondac Golden Retrievers. I'm thinking about getting a puppy from their upcoming litter. I was online checking the clearances and I noticed that degenerative joint disease is in the family. Everything else checked out. Should I be concerned with this being in the family, or is this pretty much the norm?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Adirondac is a good breeder, I would be interested to know more about what information you are looking at.

·
Kate
21,676 Posts
I think it depends on WHERE you saw this in the pedigree.

If the parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, etc had something wrong with their joints and were bred... that would be a problem.

·
DAC
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've also heard they're a very good breeder. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong. This is my first time using a breeder. If you go to their website www.adirondac-goldens.com and look at clearances on Trixie x Pete and Misty x Pete. You can view the clearances at www. offa.org. Please let me know what you think.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
We definitely need more information. Even the best breeders have some sort of DJD show up occasionally. My youngest is from a good breeder with clear parents and still has elbow dysplasia. It happens. But of course no dog that has DJD themselves should be bred.

Reactions: Sally's Mom

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
can you tell us exactly what it is you are seeing? These lines go back to Push, so you will see a lot of dogs that are carriers for PRA, but that has nothing to do with joint disease.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
I went up and visited there in person when I was puppy searching, and they were in my top three. I ultimately chose Finn from Sand Dancer goldens/ Sunfire line instead, bc the Adirondac goldens were too far from the standard for me personally ( in terms of size and substance). Hopwever, I believe they are very bright, driven performance dogs with fabulous health records. They have bred some legends. I would be surprised if clearances were not in order there.

·
Kate
21,676 Posts
Admittedly, this would bother me if I were looking to get a puppy from this litter... even if Misty herself has Excellent hips and good elbows. But her mom had grade II elbow dysplasia.

On the other hand, it might have something to do with how breeders used to view elbow dysplasia during the 90's and early 2000's... as not being hereditary.

Orthopedic Foundation for Animals

Nope. Found Trixie (http://offa.org/display.html?appnum=1470697#animal)'s dad, he just wasn't hooked to her pedigree on OFA. I'm not sure why. http://offa.org/display.html?appnum=1054049#animal

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
You're right, there it is. Personally I have been hearing too much about elbow problems to take the risk. Yes Misty passed her clearance but out of the very few offspring she has so far one also has elbow problems. And it looks like Trixie is a Misty kid.

·
Banned
616 Posts
One of Misty's offspring is listed with elbow dysplasia (out of 4) and there is one listed with a hip clearance and no elbow clearance, which is a very "odd" thing, and can be interpreted how you will. Me personally I assume elbow dysplasia in that situation, so in my mind it's a 50% chance at elbow dysplasia, I would pass. The breed average is about 10%, this would not be an improvement of the breed in the area of health. Even though they have really nice titles and do all the clearances on their dogs, the pedigree health is not to be over looked. I applaud the OP for doing their homework and not just looking at the parents, but their ancestors as well.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
If you were otherwise interested in this breeding, if I were you I would contact the breeder directly and ask about the grand-dam's elbow clearance. Her elbows were xrayed at age 8 and came back a grade II, so there could be some info that the website isn't telling you that might explain some things. It never hurts to go to the source and ask the questions.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
If you were otherwise interested in this breeding, if I were you I would contact the breeder directly and ask about the grand-dam's elbow clearance. Her elbows were xrayed at age 8 and came back a grade II, so there could be some info that the website isn't telling you that might explain some things. It never hurts to go to the source and ask the questions.
Agree! Tell the breeder your concerns and see what they say.

·
Kate
21,676 Posts
I noticed the date and guessed her age when it was done... I think it is very possible that she either had an injury or the dysplasia was excused as natural wear and tear. She had a CDX, so...

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've also heard they're a very good breeder. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong. This is my first time using a breeder. If you go to their website www.adirondac-goldens.com and look at clearances on Trixie x Pete and Misty x Pete. You can view the clearances at www. offa.org. Please let me know what you think.

I don't know anything about Trixie or Misty, but my little girl Swift is by Pete, and I have been very impressed with her! She is a very bold, clever little girl with great structure and a wonderful personality.

Are you planning to do field work or dog sports with your pup?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts