Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was referred to a place called Tranquil Hill Kennel. I cannot find any information about them and they also go under Tranquil Hill Goldens. The referral came from a place called Rainbows End Goldens which I also can only find limited information about. Does anyone have info about either of these breeders? Should I be wary of them?

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Is this the Rainbow's end you're referring to? Breeders.NET
If so, I'd be cautious of any suggestions they offer. I cannot find any dogs of current breeding age that have full certifications under that kennel name. It appears they used to do clearances, but joined the "English Cream" fad.

Back to Tranquil hill, it may actually be "Tranquil Hil" with only one L. I found several dogs under that kennel name. Some with certifications and some without. I would request the registered names of the dam and sire before considering this breeder further.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's interesting that she hasn't responded since I asked about clearances. I am also dealing with Cheyenne Farm Kennel in Ashaway, RI. By all accounts she seems very good and doing things the right way. Any experience with this one? Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Cheyenne Farm Kennel looks like bad news. They're most certainly a commercial kennel, they have over 9 breeds listed that they're selling, including many varieties of "doodles" and other crossbreed which is a HUGE red flag. There is just no way that these puppies are going to get the socialization and attention that they deserve, imo.

Have you contacted your local golden Retriever club for their breeder referrals?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have been down there and have seen the parents on site for the golden retrievers. They also give a 2 year health guarantee. The dogs are all registered as well. If you know something I don't that would be great to know because there does not appear to be much selection available in the Rhode Island area. The only other place that I am considering was Arcadia White Goldens. All the rest just seem kind of sketchy.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Does the guarantee require you to return the dog? Does it cover the full cost of bilateral hip replacement ($5,000+) or pain management for the life of the dog? There usually is little "guarantee" in these instances.

These dogs do not have any health clearances listed on OFA under that kennel name. AKC registration is not a guarantee of quality. Puppies and dogs appear to be raised in kennels and there are multiple litters on the ground at once. Many would consider this breeder a puppy mill. I am absolutely sure that there are reputable golden retriever breeders in Rhode Island or very near that area. The problem is that they may not have puppies constantly available because they are not breeding for maximum profit.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Sunfire has a great reputation and there are many happy owners on the forum. My female Golden has sunfire back in her pedigree and she's everything I think a golden should be.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I was able to get back in touch with Tranquil Hill and she was able to provide me with the clearances for the mother and the father and they were all good. The father is from a different breeder. This is not a "puppy mill" since the puppies are all living in the home etc. This seems a little better than the first place I was dealing with I suppose. Some of the others listed on the other forum post have retired.

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
Sedona and Demi have clearances. Aurora's eyes are out of date. If it's any other Tranquil Hil bitch, be certain that you were not shown a prelim and saw actual clearances.
Same on stud dog.

Most breeders who seek to improve their program use outside stud dogs as their own are likely too close and no one buys stud dogs to use on all their girls.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again for all your help. Going up this week to see them. Prices are steep for goldens at this point. 2000 for this litter.

·
Premium Member
16,438 Posts
Pebwin Goldens, Cressida Goldens. . . MA has many good breeders. IN RI there is Friday Goldens. Check with Yankee Golden Retriever club for a solid referral.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You might want to open your search to all of New England to give you the most options. Our 4 month old boy is from Sunfire and he's the love of my life, but more importantly, all of their litters have clearances going back generations and they compete with their dogs which is important because then you have a history of biddability, intelligence and correct conformation. Good luck, I know the search can be stressful, but if you're patient and willing to wait, you'll find the best puppy for your family. I think waiting made it an even better experience for our kids.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was referred to a place called Tranquil Hill Kennel. I cannot find any information about them and they also go under Tranquil Hill Goldens. The referral came from a place called Rainbows End Goldens which I also can only find limited information about. Does anyone have info about either of these breeders? Should I be wary of them?
You may be referring to Tranquil Hill Goldens in Bellingham, MA. Deb is the owner and a great breeder. We have purchased 2 Golden's from her over the last few years and I can't say enough good things about her and her breeding program. Both of our dogs are simply amazing!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts