Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I'm looking for a responsible breeder. I have had no luck finding any puppies, there's a pet store near that says they have puppies, but the store has received really bad reviews. Does anyone know of a breeder in the NY/NJ/CT area? Willing to go outside of the area if necessary.
I have already contacted the local club and no luck.

Thanks

·
Registered
691 Posts
Well-bred puppies are in very high demand now (and NONE of them will be found at a pet store). Most responsible breeders are fielding hundreds of inquiries and many have wait lists that extend into 2022.

Finding a well-bred pup from a responsible breeder is never a quick process, but it's especially hard right now. PLEASE do not compromise on breeder quality/ethics for the sake of getting a puppy sooner rather than later. Read the GRCA Code of Ethics to know what a responsible breeder is expected to do, especially in terms of health clearances for the dogs they breed. Be aware that a well-bred puppy will likely cost you $2000-$3500+ (and will be worth every penny, as a single major health issue, which is more likely in a poorly bred dog, could easily cost you twice that much).

I invite you to spend some time here in the forum reading as many threads as you can. There is particularly good information in the Choosing a Golden Retriever Breeder or Puppy subforum: Choosing A Golden Retriever Breeder & Puppy

You can also use the Search field for the forum to see what breeders have already been recommended in the states you are willing to consider (just search on something like "breeders NY" to find existing threads). I know several people have asked for leads in these areas in recent weeks.

If you find a breeder or litter you think might be good, come back here with the kennel name and/or the AKC registered names/numbers of the parent dogs so we can help you determine if it looks like a reputable breeder.

·
Kristy
9,688 Posts
I second the above. Puppies who live in a cage or a run in a pet store or at a puppy mill are almost impossible to house train/potty train. They learn to potty where they sleep and it will break your heart trying to break them of this only to realize that the dog you've fallen in love with can't live indoors with you because he pees and poops everywhere.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
All of my dogs with the exception of one were puppy mill dogs sold thru pet stores, purchased by families that quickly lost interest. On top of that, one of my girls was kept locked in a basement after her first family purchased her. She was so easy to housebreak. She has never gone in the house and never had health issues.

My male Teddy that I got last yr when owners no longer wanted him was purchased from Golden Gals in Ct. Never any issues with health or housebreaking.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think it is important to know that no matter how good the reviews for the pet store is, they will NEVER be able guarantee you a health puppy. Pet store puppies are from puppy mills 100% of the time. No reputable breeder (a breeder that can provide you with a healthy pup) would ever let their puppy go to a pet store. So please know that if you purchase a puppy from a pet store, not only are you supporting greedy people, but also you will likely end up with a lot of vet bills.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts