Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever heard of "Gage's Goldens"? One of my family members is interested in contacting them but they seem to have a LOT of litters a year, so I'm a bit wary..?

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
Current litter go home April-
Their stud dog GG Marcus Aurelius -https://www.ofa.org/advanced-search?f=sr&appnum=1759261 has out of date eyes, his own dam had no clearances and his sire pretty likely failed elbows.
The dam-https://www.ofa.org/advanced-search?f=sr&appnum=1874871 no hips/elbows, eyes last done @ 11 months- just smh-
her sire and dam are hugely lacking in anything that says 'breed me!'... and it is pretty obvious hips/elbow are a problem in the paternal half sibs. What is not on OFA is as telling as what is on OFA.

next litter same stud dog https://www.ofa.org/advanced-search?f=sr&appnum=1775137 is dam. Eyes out of date, one sib looks to have failed elbows.

There have to be breeders who do a better job in your area? To charge $2800 for these puppies is imo overcharging. They don't show their dogs, they are selling puppies on coat color alone. What needs to be searched for is a breeder who not only SAYS they do the core 4 clearances, hips, elbows, heart by cardiologist and current eyes... but actually DOES do these four core at a minimum. Ideally, the breeder will also be active in some dog sport, not just breeding dogs who happen to have a light coat color.You should find a depth of clearances as well- not first generation clearances.
In case they are hunting for ECtype- none of the ECGR press is accurate or a reason to choose a pedigree built on European origin. There are no studies that confirm any of the press. There were two 'surveys' which did not account for origin that are used on many of these breeders' sites.... they call them 'studies' when in fact no studies have ever been done and the surveys cited are not peer reviewed or even useful.

·
Kristy
9,291 Posts
Sunfall, welcome to the forum. Could you give us a little more information on what you are looking for in your dog? Have you ever owned a Golden before or raised a puppy? Have you had time to read over all the (amazing depth) of information on this forum or have you consulted the national club site www.grca.org? That helps us know how to help you.

You are fortunate to have had Prism spot your post, she is very good at spotting red flags and wow, there are too many to count with the breeder you asked about. There is no way to feel good about giving your money to a breeder who is so lax about any clearances, but elbows especially. How sad...

Try reaching out to Starz Golden Retrievers, she is someone who cares about clearances, structure and doing something with her dogs to prove they are more than just pretty faces. She would be worth waiting for a puppy from and may have suggestions on other people who might be planning a litter and are reputable. https://www.facebook.com/StarzGoldens/

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently came across Slater Creek Golden Retrievers but can't find any information regarding their operation even after an exhaustive online search. Can anyone fill me in? Thanks!

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
Some points: "We have chosen the best possible Champion Blood lines & parents with great health certificates we could find. " line 1 of their site... that is a limited group of dogs to choose from. Most, I would even say all good breeders don't sell puppies on full registration to people who are planning to breed them.

I'm curious- what appeals to you about this breeder?

There are no dogs on k9data attributed to belonging to them
https://www.ofa.org/advanced-search?f=sr&appnum=2039796 Assume this one

is named Bubbles. She has one grandparent w any clearances. Her dam had no clearances. Her sire appears to have failed elbows and he has no other clearances. Click on him for his page- He has all of two g'parents w anything. He himself only has a heart clearance and it is only marginally better than if I did it- NOPI (no perm ID) and a practitioner did it. BUt interestingly I see he has a full sib w Council House prefix , and we have discussed them (and by the way- the sort of breeder who would sell dogs to anyone w a checkbook and let them name them as if they produced the pup themselves- that is why I disagreed w the first line on their page) so you might search that name and see what turns up. It feels like it was in the last few months.
Lastly on OFA- https://www.ofa.org/advanced-search?f=sr&appnum=2039794 I
am guessing they call her Lady or Liberty- no heart or eyes. They're probably going to breed her.
You can do way better.

·
Kristy
9,291 Posts
I recently came across Slater Creek Golden Retrievers but can't find any information regarding their operation even after an exhaustive online search. Can anyone fill me in? Thanks!
You can't find any information because:

1) they don't provide registered names of their dogs on their website - red flag #1
2) they don't appear to compete in any structured activity such as obedience, hunt tests or conformation - which is red flag #2 Good breeders almost always have photos posted bragging about their dogs' training and competitive accomplishments.
3) they do not have any dogs listed on the internationally recognized data base (k9data.com) listed under either of their names personally (Gary and Linda) or under the kennel name Slater Creek. - Red Flag #3 Good breeders use k9data to help make good breeding decisions for parents of their next litter. This kennel is breeding all their own dogs together which is never done.
4) they do not have any dogs on the health clearance public database - OFA Orthopedic Foundation which is officially red flag #4

Most likely they are too busy excavating ground for their extremely expensive kennel. The fact that their facebook page has a big announcement "ALL FOUR LITTERS SOLD!!!!" lets you know where the money to fund the kennel came from. Pretty easy cash when there is no outlay for health clearances or training and showing expenses.

This is one of those situations that I'd say if you're bent on giving these people your hard earned money I'd set some aside to pay for pet insurance. You couldn't give me a puppy from a set up like this is portrayed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Prism and nolefan, we are looking for our first golden retriever puppy and do not know exactly what to look for in a breeder. Can you please recommend one or two places you would get a Golden Retreiver puppy from in Colorado? Thank you very much in advance, reading your posts has been very helpful.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please let me know what your research has shown about Colorado breeders. Our sweet Golden passed away last May unfortunately from an enlarged heart at the age of 6. The breeder we got him from is no longer breeding and I fear we did not do our research right last time. We are currently looking but need to be smarter this time around!

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
Hi Prism and nolefan, we are looking for our first golden retriever puppy and do not know exactly what to look for in a breeder. Can you please recommend one or two places you would get a Golden Retreiver puppy from in Colorado? Thank you very much in advance, reading your posts has been very helpful.
I didn't see this- bet Nolefan didn't either.
It's very difficult to suggest a breeder, not everyone likes the same look, same talent- but if you will search via the GRCA club and even google, and post sire X dam info here we can absolutely give you advice on particular litters. Thank EDOUG303 for bringing the thread back up!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts