Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a lurker for quite some time and am incredibly impressed with all the support and information shared on this forum. I originally found you right after my beloved golden Kasey was diagnosed with hemangio in Feb. Unfortunately, we lost her in late July. I am so thankful she owned us for almost 12 beautiful years and I can't wait to see her again on the Rainbow bridge. Amidst our grief, this forum provided me with tons of knowledge and immeasurable comfort knowing our family wasn't alone in dealing with this horrific experience. My thanks to you all!!

Fast forward to now - our hearts are beginning to heal and we are seeking another wonderful life experience with a golden puppy.

We are looking for a family companion; we are not interested in showing or hunting the dog. Health and temperament are our main priorities and we tend to prefer medium to lighter golds (no offense anyone!).

We have been doing our research reading as much as we can from online resources, both here and the GRCA. We want to do our best to find a reputable breeder who truly loves the animals and is willing to provide all certifications.

I have reached out to our local GRCA clubs and am quite overwhelmed by all of this. Although we've been provided names of breeders, it's difficult to figure out where to turn because folks seem to love talking about the parents, but don't necessarily want to share test results, etc. I was also told they can only give me names of breeders who have available puppies, which makes me wonder if there are preferred breeders which may just not have litters coming soon?

So now I am asking for your help please! Can you recommend some breeders in the eastern part of NY? We are willing to travel too, CT, eastern PA, southern NH and MA are also possible.

Thank you!

·
Registered
869 Posts
If you are contacting the GRCA's member club's Puppy Referral, yes, they will only give out information on breeders who have litters listed with them now. Each club's requirements for listing vary, but the breeder's submit the information on the litter to the person doing the puppy referral for the club and then the names of the breeder's with puppies at the time, are given out.

There is no reason that a breeder shouldn't want to share information on test results, ie clearances. You should be given the parents registered names and you should be able to check the ofa website at www.offa.org to make sure that the parents have their hip, eye, heart and elbow clearances.

You can certainly contact breeders that are recommended or that you have come across while searching, who do not have puppies available right now. Many will probably have litters coming in the spring.

Jane Zimmerman is Cloverdale and she has been breeding for probably 40 years. She is in CT and is very good.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts