Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I am looking for a breeder in Ohio or nearby as we are willing to travel, I prefer English but ultimately want a HEALTHY family dog. My husband bought a lab without doing any research who is the sweetest boy around but has so many allergies and other small issues. I would really like to avoid any issues if possible in the future.

I have read through quite a few threads about English/Creme breeders being a scam and after doing more research feel hesitant with a lot of the breeders websites in Ohio I have come across (Buckeye Kennels, Starr, New Moon, Treasure goldens,etc). Do you have any recommendations?

I really appreciate any help!!!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Contact the Cuyahoga Golden Retriever Club: THE CUYAHOGA VALLEY GOLDEN RETRIEVER CLUB. Rhonda Hovan is the puppy referral person for the club and she can help you find some good breeders. I'm involved in the club and they're all nice people.

Speaking from experience, I would recommend Gangway. I don't think anyone in the club breeds in the English style but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi from the midwest! I wanted to reply to you about your post looking for reputable Ohio breeders of English-style goldens. I've been surfing this site and learning a lot, but your post inspired me to sign up and start asking questions. I am in the midwest, too, and looking for reputable breeders. You mentioned not having a good feeling about New Moon. I was looking at them along with several others and I was hoping you could share what gave you doubts? Their site seemed to have good information, and I like that they are very serious about diet, age of neuter/spay, vaccines, etc. But I can't find any other info about them aside from their own site. I will probably reach out to them to start a conversation, but I wish I could find owners of their pups on here as recommendations too. Is it weird that their dogs are european imports? I'm new to the process and take selecting a breeder so seriously, so any tips or opinions you have would be so appreciated!

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
You need to familiarize yourself with the health clearances recommended by the GRCA which means cardiologist cleared heart, annual eye exams performed by an ophthalmologist, and hips/elbows cleared no earlier than the age of 2 yrs all clearances to be posted in a public database. To me if the dog resides & is bred in the US then it should have at minimum US clearances that are publicly verifiable.

Also, if a breeder is offering a health guarantee, then it need not state you must return the puppy in order for it be honored, IMO that's counting on an owner not invoking it which in turn isn't really a guarantee. Personally, if the breeder is breeding to the GRCA COE & there are generations of clearances, I am ok w/ no health guarantee as they've done everything on their end to produce a healthy pup.

Recommend contacting your local GR club for a breeder referral & getting out to shows so you see goldens in action & then figure out which breeders are producing what appeals to you & start from there. Quite overwhelming, but if you're adding a family member that will hopefully be with you for the next 12 yrs, why not take your time & put your best effort forward in doing your homework.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hi from the midwest! I wanted to reply to you about your post looking for reputable Ohio breeders of English-style goldens. I've been surfing this site and learning a lot, but your post inspired me to sign up and start asking questions. I am in the midwest, too, and looking for reputable breeders....... Is it weird that their dogs are european imports? I'm new to the process and take selecting a breeder so seriously, so any tips or opinions you have would be so appreciated!
Is there a particular reason you are looking for an english style golden? (there is plenty to read on this forum about the english marketing issues that seem to be plaguing the golden retriever breed). I would, personally, avoid a US breeder who is only breeding with imported dogs.

·
Registered
10,557 Posts
Is there a particular reason you are looking for an english style golden? (there is plenty to read on this forum about the english marketing issues that seem to be plaguing the golden retriever breed). I would, personally, avoid a US breeder who is only breeding with imported dogs.
While I agree that you need to be very wary when looking at the English/European Golden breeders, I would not go so far to say avoid a US breeder who is only breeding with imported dogs. Some reputable breeders are very dedicated to that style of Golden. And no, they are not any healthier than so-called North American goldens. I had an interesting talk with someone who postulated that if cancer is at least partially environmental, then any differences seen would be moot once the dog is brought to this environment. And I am on a Scottish fb group and a couple of others and can tell you that I have seen several European style Goldens die of cancer recently :(

She is in Michigan but you might want to check

BRANDEGOLD GOLDEN RETRIEVERS

No matter how highly recommended the breeder, you always want to see hips and elbows done at or after 2 years of age, eyes done annually by a veterinary ophthalmologist and hearts done after 12 months of age by a veterinary cardiologist.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not for the color--I just really love the thicker bones and head styles of English-style goldens. I also visually prefer the more muscular look with the body slightly longer than the legs, over the taller, more lithe look. And I love wavy coats that are longer than some of the English styles I've seen, but not as long as some American goldens. Ultimately I want healthy, and an easy-going temperament. And I want to spend my money with a reputable breeder. My fear is supporting one with less than ideal practices, unknowingly.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Not for the color--I just really love the thicker bones and head styles of English-style goldens. I also visually prefer the more muscular look with the body slightly longer than the legs, over the taller, more lithe look. And I love wavy coats that are longer than some of the English styles I've seen, but not as long as some American goldens. Ultimately I want healthy, and an easy-going temperament. And I want to spend my money with a reputable breeder. My fear is supporting one with less than ideal practices, unknowingly.
Have you seen goldens at a conformation show? If not, you may be surprised about your opinions of American goldens. I know my initial experience with goldens is what I saw in the neighborhood which matched what I worked with in rescue. Going to my first show & seeing the conformation-bred goldens was an eye opening experience since I was only familiar w/ those produced in puppy mills or by BYBs.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
You might be surprised over how much of that is grooming.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi from the midwest! I wanted to reply to you about your post looking for reputable Ohio breeders of English-style goldens. I've been surfing this site and learning a lot, but your post inspired me to sign up and start asking questions. I am in the midwest, too, and looking for reputable breeders. You mentioned not having a good feeling about New Moon. I was looking at them along with several others and I was hoping you could share what gave you doubts? Their site seemed to have good information, and I like that they are very serious about diet, age of neuter/spay, vaccines, etc. But I can't find any other info about them aside from their own site. I will probably reach out to them to start a conversation, but I wish I could find owners of their pups on here as recommendations too. Is it weird that their dogs are european imports? I'm new to the process and take selecting a breeder so seriously, so any tips or opinions you have would be so appreciated!
Heroe's Gold in Illinois has English-style goldens. They have all the clearance information and pedigree information for each dog on their website. We talked with them and they were very helpful but they are over priced probably because of the English crème craze.

·
Kate
22,652 Posts
Heroe's Gold in Illinois has English-style goldens. They have all the clearance information and pedigree information for each dog on their website. We talked with them and they were very helpful but they are over priced probably because of the English crème craze.
Be very careful though -

Dandy failed elbows on his final clearances. And they are breeding him anyway.

Sailor is only a year old (so he does not have hip and elbow clearances as they are only legit after 24 months) and has been bred already....

Pilot does not have any hip or elbow clearances. And of course he has a cataract noted on his OFA. Which breeders option or not, I would not want a puppy from him.

Puppies from people like this are overpriced because - yeah - the breeders know people are conditioned to pay more for these dogs. And the dogs are not worth it in most cases.

I had a chuckle looking at the "New Moon" website where they bragged that the pictures of their breeding dogs only show them standing because you can't "hide" flaws the same way you can with dogs sitting.

Which is true to a certain extent since if a dog is standing - you can't help but notice hunched shoulders and high rears....

But then again - side note, but if a dog is standing and the owner says they have excellent structure.... you can still note that every single foot on the dog is pointing out and he's bracing off his front legs (which could just be the dog, but because of how nervous I am about elbow dysplasia, I always think of that).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Be very careful though -

Dandy failed elbows on his final clearances. And they are breeding him anyway.

Sailor is only a year old (so he does not have hip and elbow clearances as they are only legit after 24 months) and has been bred already....

Pilot does not have any hip or elbow clearances. And of course he has a cataract noted on his OFA. Which breeders option or not, I would not want a puppy from him.

Puppies from people like this are overpriced because - yeah - the breeders know people are conditioned to pay more for these dogs. And the dogs are not worth it in most cases.

I had a chuckle looking at the "New Moon" website where they bragged that the pictures of their breeding dogs only show them standing because you can't "hide" flaws the same way you can with dogs sitting.

Which is true to a certain extent since if a dog is standing - you can't help but notice hunched shoulders and high rears....

But then again - side note, but if a dog is standing and the owner says they have excellent structure.... you can still note that every single foot on the dog is pointing out and he's bracing off his front legs (which could just be the dog, but because of how nervous I am about elbow dysplasia, I always think of that).
You are a rockstar. I didn't even notice Sailor's age. I PM'd you. :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
My Hope is from Donna Edwards--Hytree Goldens near Cleveland. Hope is the sweetest puppy, just lovely in temperament and beautiful, as well. Best wishes on your search!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi there, I think I understand what you are looking for as it sounds very similar to what I wanted. After doing more research as some other people said a well bred golden should have these characteristics. I would highly recommend reaching Rhonda Hovan-330-668-0044 she was INCREDIBLY helpful in just assisting in educating me on what to look for, she sent me multiple documents and I am happy to forward them onto you if you'd like, just private message me your email. She is well versed on the Northern Ohio breeders but might be able to point you in the right direction closer to where you are located.

Ultimately we decided on a breeder in Northern Ohio (Gangway) after recommendations and speaking to the breeder and looking through her dogs health information.

Not sure where you are located in the mid-west but here are some of the breeders Rhonda recommended (in Northern Ohio). Looking back through emails Donna Ernst (Anthem) had a planned litter in a few weeks.

Julie Corral and Cortney Corral (Lakesyde)
[email protected]
440-213-4245 (Cortney)
Wellington, OH
Also 3 yr old female

Donna Edwards (Hytree)
[email protected]
330-527-4715
Garrettsville, OH

Donna Ernst (Anthem)
[email protected]
440-773-5052
Newbury, OH

Beckie Gang (Gangway)
[email protected]
330-325-7438
Rootstown, OH

Vicki White (Gideon)
[email protected]
330-947-2425
Atwater, OH

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Hi there, I think I understand what you are looking for as it sounds very similar to what I wanted. After doing more research as some other people said a well bred golden should have these characteristics. I would highly recommend reaching Rhonda Hovan-330-668-0044 she was INCREDIBLY helpful in just assisting in educating me on what to look for, she sent me multiple documents and I am happy to forward them onto you if you'd like, just private message me your email. She is well versed on the Northern Ohio breeders but might be able to point you in the right direction closer to where you are located.

Ultimately we decided on a breeder in Northern Ohio (Gangway) after recommendations and speaking to the breeder and looking through her dogs health information.

Not sure where you are located in the mid-west but here are some of the breeders Rhonda recommended (in Northern Ohio). Looking back through emails Donna Ernst (Anthem) had a planned litter in a few weeks.

Julie Corral and Cortney Corral (Lakesyde)
[email protected]
440-213-4245 (Cortney)
Wellington, OH
Also 3 yr old female

Donna Edwards (Hytree)
[email protected]
330-527-4715
Garrettsville, OH

Donna Ernst (Anthem)
[email protected]
440-773-5052
Newbury, OH

Beckie Gang (Gangway)
[email protected]
330-325-7438
Rootstown, OH

Vicki White (Gideon)
[email protected]
330-947-2425
Atwater, OH
This is a great list of very reputable breeders in this area. We bred our girl to one of Cortney's dogs. Puppies are due mid Febuary. Pretty exciting.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Forevergoldens -- it's also my understanding that an early neuter/spay (like before 1) will produce a taller, less-stocky/muscled golden, no matter what the parents look like. Just something else to consider as you get your pup. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am brand new here and also in Ohio. We are just starting to look for a Golden. I don't want to jump into this thread if this is bad behavior here. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Breeder in Ohio

We have a puppy from New Moon Goldens who is in Ohio City Ohio. This is a great breeder. She is very particular about feeding the dogs raw meet. We have done that with our dog Sadie for three years and she never has anything wrong with her. She does not smell like a dog and she hardly ever sheds. I contribute alot of that to the dog food. This breeder uses only dogs from Russia and other European countries, which is another reason I picked her.
She also does not recommend neutering until they are 2 years old. Our dog Sadie is one of the best dogs we have ever had. She has the best temperament ever.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts