Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Zuko (16mo Rottie/GSD)
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have plans to be ready for my first Psychiatric/Medical Alert service dog in about a year or so now and, of course, I am heavily considering getting a Golden. I am in the process of moving to Colorado (Denver) and while I know what to look for in a responsible breeder, looking for a new one is honestly overwhelming and my head feels fuzzy from the amount of websites I’ve flipped through recently.

This is obviously a very important choice, so I would appreciate any recommendations or advice on picking the right breeder, preferably one in Colorado, in a state close by or one that’s ok working out transporting a puppy.

Overall I am just looking for a breeder that’s does all the proper health testing, has produced service dog prospects, and is preferably active in shows, sports or therapy work etc with their dogs.

Any feedback would be helpful, thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Welcome to the forum! As you wait for specific responses I encourage you to make use of the "search community" function above to search on "Breeders Colorado" and see what breeders have been recommended (or warned against) in the past. Don't be put off by threads that are 5-10 years old. Reputable breeders often breed for many years and are likely still breeding now. You can also use the search to see if there are any existing threads on a breeder you think may be promising.

You say you know what to look for in a responsible breeder, which is great, but if you'd like a second pair of eyes on a particular breeder or breeding pair, we are always happy to take a look. We just need registered names or numbers of the parent dogs and we can take a deep dive into OFA and confirm for you whether everything looks good or if we're seeing red flags.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hi, I have plans to be ready for my first Psychiatric/Medical Alert service dog in about a year or so now and, of course, I am heavily considering getting a Golden. I am in the process of moving to Colorado (Denver) and while I know what to look for in a responsible breeder, looking for a new one is honestly overwhelming and my head feels fuzzy from the amount of websites I’ve flipped through recently.

This is obviously a very important choice, so I would appreciate any recommendations or advice on picking the right breeder, preferably one in Colorado, in a state close by or one that’s ok working out transporting a puppy.

Overall I am just looking for a breeder that’s does all the proper health testing, has produced service dog prospects, and is preferably active in shows, sports or therapy work etc with their dogs.

Any feedback would be helpful, thank you!
The only reputable breeders I can think of in Colorado are Katmar, Summerwind, and Timberbash. You would still want to check OFA clearances, genetic testing, titles, pedigrees, etc. I live in CO, but I got my boy from a breeder in FL. Reputable breeders are pretty hard to come by in CO.

·
Registered
Zuko (16mo Rottie/GSD)
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only reputable breeders I can think of in Colorado are Katmar, Summerwind, and Timberbash. You would still want to check OFA clearances, genetic testing, titles, pedigrees, etc. I live in CO, but I got my boy from a breeder in FL. Reputable breeders are pretty hard to come by in CO.
Yeahh that’s mostly what I was seeing, I did find a breeder of field goldens north of Denver that has puppies that’ve gone on to become service dogs that are currently active, but I still need to take a look at their registration profiles & OFA info (as far as i can tell they dont have them openly listed besides the general ofa clearances, but are available on request.)

I’ve also heard good things about Sierra Knights Goldens from people that have some of their dogs? and they do seem to produce many service and therapy dogs so I’m considering them.

But yeah there’s definitely… a lot to look through to find the most reputable ones haha. I wouldn’t mind getting a puppy out of state and even flying out to get them myself if it’s a shorter flight and i can meet the breeder at the airport, but the options are still overwhelming in that case.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Yeahh that’s mostly what I was seeing, I did find a breeder of field goldens north of Denver that has puppies that’ve gone on to become service dogs that are currently active, but I still need to take a look at their registration profiles & OFA info (as far as i can tell they dont have them openly listed besides the general ofa clearances, but are available on request.)

I’ve also heard good things about Sierra Knights Goldens from people that have some of their dogs? and they do seem to produce many service and therapy dogs so I’m considering them.

But yeah there’s definitely… a lot to look through to find the most reputable ones haha. I wouldn’t mind getting a puppy out of state and even flying out to get them myself if it’s a shorter flight and i can meet the breeder at the airport, but the options are still overwhelming in that case.
OFA results should be inputted into the public database. By saying they are available upon request, I would assume they don't do proper clearances. I just checked out Sierra Knights and found no clearances on the dogs listed on their website, no genetic testing, and no titles. They are also using the term "English cream" which is a marketing ploy used by irresponsible breeders. I would expand your search outside of Colorado. I'd recommend Leongolden Kennel in Florida. They've produced many successful service and therapy dogs. Their dogs have incredible temperaments. They are a conformation breeder, but produce dogs with working ability that also excel in performance. I also like Rush Hill and Hillock. It can be very overwhelming to find a responsible breeder and the perfect puppy! There is so much to consider and look for.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
If I knew I was really going to need a service dog a year from now I would not restrict myself to a Golden. Taking a chance on getting a puppy soon enough and that pup working out would also be a gamble.
I would contact as many pro field trial retriever trainers as I could, explain the situation and ask that they let me know if they have or know of a washout trial dog that would work for me. It would most likely be a lab.

·
Registered
Zuko (16mo Rottie/GSD)
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I knew I was really going to need a service dog a year from now I would not restrict myself to a Golden. Taking a chance on getting a puppy soon enough and that pup working out would also be a gamble.
I would contact as many pro field trial retriever trainers as I could, explain the situation and ask that they let me know if they have or know of a washout trial dog that would work for me. It would most likely be a lab.
Thank you but I’m aware of how long it takes to train a dog from a young age, I’ll be ready to get a dog in a year but if I can’t magically find an adult dog, with the help of my support system I will survive while I raise & train a puppy. Honestly there’s risk in getting any dog that isn’t fully trained for service work already and my budget is limited, while I’m not against getting an older started dog I figured I would look into breeders first before I consider that route. For 1 I’m not ready for a dog yet so there’s no point in looking for dogs immediately available yet and 2 raising a puppy myself & working closely with a trainer so I will know the full background of the dog is appealing to me and I assume will probably be more affordable.

I’m not against looking at other breeds either, I have considered labs and a few others but for the moment Goldens are my first pick.

·
Registered
Zuko (16mo Rottie/GSD)
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OFA results should be inputted into the public database. By saying they are available upon request, I would assume they don't do proper clearances. I just checked out Sierra Knights and found no clearances on the dogs listed on their website, no genetic testing, and no titles. They are also using the term "English cream" which is a marketing ploy used by irresponsible breeders. I would expand your search outside of Colorado. I'd recommend Leongolden Kennel in Florida. They've produced many successful service and therapy dogs. Their dogs have incredible temperaments. They are a conformation breeder, but produce dogs with working ability that also excel in performance. I also like Rush Hill and Hillock. It can be very overwhelming to find a responsible breeder and the perfect puppy! There is so much to consider and look for.
Yeahh they have a ‘gooddog’ page that claims their dogs are OFA registered for the standard eyes/heart/hips/elbows, just no public link to the actual clearances so I’m really not sure, I’m not keeping my hopes up though lol

and yeah they did actually have like, I want to say, at least another handful of dogs on their site a few days ago? but it seems they're redoing that whole page, their one male Tahoe does have his clearances listed but I haven’t checked the numbers w a key yet (I don’t have that stuff memorized yet haha) but the other male seems to only have two listed and they’re out of date.

But thank you I will expand my search and check those out thank you!

·
Registered
Zuko (16mo Rottie/GSD)
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome to the forum! As you wait for specific responses I encourage you to make use of the "search community" function above to search on "Breeders Colorado" and see what breeders have been recommended (or warned against) in the past. Don't be put off by threads that are 5-10 years old. Reputable breeders often breed for many years and are likely still breeding now. You can also use the search to see if there are any existing threads on a breeder you think may be promising.

You say you know what to look for in a responsible breeder, which is great, but if you'd like a second pair of eyes on a particular breeder or breeding pair, we are always happy to take a look. We just need registered names or numbers of the parent dogs and we can take a deep dive into OFA and confirm for you whether everything looks good or if we're seeing red flags.
Thank you so much I will definitely search there and ask for a second opinion on those clearances too once I narrow down my search!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts