Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first time getting from a breeder. We made a deposit and there are several upcoming litters. 4 dams currently expecting in the next couple weeks. I was told there was a relatively long waitlist but no specifics. Is it appropriate to ask my place in the waitlist? I don’t want to be annoying or seem impatient. We are just excited and anxious to have an idea of timing. I know waitlists are very subject to change, but I figured having an idea of where I stand on the waitlist would be helpful. Is it typical to not be informed of your place in line? Thanks so much!

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have to raise my eyebrows at your breeder having four litters in the next couple of weeks!?? Sounds like a factory to me... I'm sure others with more experience can add their opinion.

Notwithstanding, coming from a recent puppy purchaser in the last year, our breeder did not maintain a formal waitlist where you have a number and you just wait for it to be called. Kinda inconvenient? Yes. Puts you on pins and needles? Heck yes! Oftentimes, breeders will wait for the litter to hit the ground first and then evaluate the puppy and his/her personality as the puppy forms one, and pick the home best suited for that puppy... not the other way around.

But to answer your question, for me, it was typical to not be informed of your place in line. Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have to raise my eyebrows at your breeder having four litters in the next couple of weeks!?? Sounds like a factory to me... I'm sure others with more experience can add their opinion.

Notwithstanding, coming from a recent puppy purchaser in the last year, our breeder did not maintain a formal waitlist where you have a number and you just wait for it to be called. Kinda inconvenient? Yes. Puts you on pins and needles? Heck yes! Oftentimes, breeders will wait for the litter to hit the ground first and then evaluate the puppy and his/her personality as the puppy forms one, and pick the home best suited for that puppy... not the other way around.

But to answer your question, for me, it was typical to not be informed of your place in line. Good luck!

Thank you so much! So she has a large farm and has many dogs as her pets that she breeds but she seems like a wonderful woman who cares deeply about the breed and they all come with health clearances, lineage, etc. this is my first time with a breeder, should I be nervous about the fact that she has many dogs that she breeds ? Ugh, such a learning process for me!

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! I agree that your description of the breeder raises several red flags. Reputable breeders rarely have more than one litter at a time since raising a litter “right” is a very labor-intensive process. When we speak of “clearances” on the parents we are talking about four very specific health exams as outlined by the GRCA Code of Ethics. This is a hip x-ray (usually submitted to OFA.org and given a rating of fair, good or excellent, or more rarely a PennHip evaluation), an elbow x-Ray evaluated by OFA to be normal, a heart clearance done by a cardiologist, and an eye exam done by an ophthalmologist no more than a year prior to breeding. Completing these four clearances are the absolute lowest bar for a breeder to be considered ethical/reputable.

I know all this may be Greek to you, but we’re always happy to check out breeders for you. Ideally we’d want the registered AKC names or numbers of the potential parents, but if your breeder has a website you are willing to share, we’re pretty good at investigating and letting you know if we see red flags. You can also search the forum for the breeder’s name to see if they’ve been discussed here before.

I’ll also link two good resources for you below…

This blog has several posts on how to recognize reputable breeders: Home - The Canine Chasm

This video gives you a good overview of how to find a healthy golden pup:

·
Registered
Finn
686 Posts
You should probably be concerned less about the number of dogs, and more about the fact that she's breeding them all at once- how much individualized attention do you think your pup will be getting with four litters of 4-10 puppies each? You might want to post or PM someone your breeder to see if they are a good source before proceeding- I'd be happy to check them out if you send me a link to the website.

To answer your question, usually you will not know your place on the waitlist, and usually will be contacted when the breeder has an idea of their placement plans for their puppies (that's a mouthful!).

·
Registered
14 Posts
The breeder I went to had maybe 30 dogs max at one point at her place, but she still usually just have no more than 3 litters a year. She has been breeding for over 30 years and there has been only 2 times where 2 litters were close together. She gave me some reason about the bitch going into heat and the timing, but that is not her preference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts