Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi golden fans!
My girlfriend and I are looking to purchase a puppy from Melissa at "CMP Kennel " in Washington. The mom is August and is due this month, so we can pick up sometime in mid-late April.

Always had goldens growing up and very excited but I want to make sure we are doing it right. Does anyone know the reputation of the breeder? The mom "August" and dad "Comfort" are "AKC, OFA Certified Hips and Elbows, PRA 1, PRA 2 Sire" according to their website (cmpkennel.com)

We would super appreciate any help!
Thanks

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Do you know the parents registered names or numbers? The breeder doesn't list them on the website, which is a bit of a red flag. I was able to find one dog named Comfort that lives in WA but I can't be sure it's him.

·
Registered
10,519 Posts
Pedigree: COMFORT RIVER RHYTHMS, https://www.ofa.org/advanced-search?f=sr&appnum=1783783 and if he IS that dog, he is lacking heart and eye clearances...
from the site: Why are not all your dogs AKC, OFA certified? Simple and honest answer- Its too expensive for many of our families. ...
and
We feel strongly that breeding dogs should only be done when you have spent years researching and preparing for the life long career commitment.

these sentiments are quite silly. Clearances are not that expensive. And they do not appear to have full sets on any of the dogs, and without any competition, they do not have those years researching in.... competition is part and parcel of any good breeding program.

Reactions: HudsonRiver

·
Puddles
4,020 Posts
I'm not finding any golden's on OFA starting with CMP, full names would help me. The fact they breed dogs that are not AKC concerns me as well as the statement "it's too expensive to get everyone tested".
I'm sorry but testing for hips/elbows & heart is a one time thing and around $500 (Texas pricing) and only has to be done on breeding stock. If they are asking $1500. a pup they should be receiving plenty of income to warrant OFA clearances. Why would they breed dogs that could be passing on hip or elbow dysplasia? My dog was only $1500 and can trace her OFA clearances back to the early 1900's. To me that is just greed ... shows no concern for the breed.
Read some of the post on people that purchased pups from parents without clearances. The cost of surgery is in the thousands and extremely painful. Sadly these are the dogs that end up in rescue...
I don't mean to sound like a snob but wouldn't touch a pup from this breeder.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
BTW OP, I live in the Pacific Northwest and we have a fabulous clinic in WA that has a breeder day twice a year where you can have hips, elbows, eyes and heart done for less than $200 per dog. That excuse is laughable.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Lots and lots of red flags. If a breeder is proud of their dogs and has full and verifiable health certifications they don’t hide behind call names.

At 1500, these are expensive puppies from unverifiably tested dogs with no investment from the breeder in providing these are good Goldens in any sort of competition. These dogs are clearly income and sadly they want to justify poor breeding practices because so homes don’t or can’t spend $2000. They could easily afford to get the health certifications. Honestly it would cost half of one puppy price or less. Tell me how that would mean they need to increase every puppy by $500?!

If you want or need a cheaper price tag, you’ll better off finding some local family that had th “one time for the kids” or oops litter. At least they aren’t living off of their dogs and making you buy a food that gives them kick backs. It would also be cheaper.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We will inquire for the reg numbers.

Sounds like so far the only worry is price. Which is a factor of course. If this place doesnt check out, does anyone know where we can get healthy gr pups? Doesnt need a blue ribbon pedigree but just healthy and happy, ya know.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
We will inquire for the reg numbers.

Sounds like so far the only worry is price. Which is a factor of course. If this place doesnt check out, does anyone know where we can get healthy gr pups? Doesnt need a blue ribbon pedigree but just healthy and happy, ya know.
No, the price is secondary to the lacks in health certifications. Blue ribbons or not, being a companion is the most important job. Health certifications should not be just something fancy for show dogs.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Off the top of my head, up that way. Chuckanut Goldens. Also try the local club. There is contact information here EGRC-Breeders

Please get the registered names and numbers of the dogs you are considering. It is sad how many time bad breeders claim certifications they don’t have. There are several people on the group that will help you understand what is there and what is missing. Do your due diligence as a buy and verify all health certification claims.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Definitely not a breeder I would choose to support. August and Comfort have been bred together at least once before, when they were both just 1 year old. August turned 1 approximately just 3 months before she was first bred.

This is their 1 offspring listed on OFA. For some reason he has a Patella clearances, which isn't even recommended by the GRCA code of ethics, but not hips or elbows even though he's old enough. https://www.ofa.org/advanced-search?appnum=1942641

You'll see both parents do have hips and elbows, but only that. No heart or eye certifications for either parent and 0 of their siblings, half siblings, parents or grandparents have any health certifications. There is just nothing there.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
My recommendation would be to contact the local Golden Retriever clubs for referrals. In Washington you have the Evergreen GR Club and the Inland Empire GR Club. Oregon has the Pacific Rim GR Club and we're mostly northern Oregon and Southwestern WA breeders.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dang, so glad I turned to this forum! Learning a lot. Looking into Byall acres as well. Hoping for Ripley + Princess Sara litter

Males:

TOBI LEE BYAL: Hips - Fair / Elbow - Normal
RIPLEY NETHER N THE LAND BYALL ACRES: Hips - Good / Elbow - Normal
Females:

BYALL ACRES PLATINUM PRINCESS SARA: Hips - Good / Elbow - Normal
RUTH ANN OF BYALL ACRES: Hips - Fair / Elbow - Normal
SWEETIE PIE OF BYALL ACRES: Hips - Fair / Elbow - Normal
LA SQUIRT OF COTTAGE GROVE: Hips - Good / Elbow: No data

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Similar not so great stuff. Sara whelped a litter at 20 months so she was bred before 1.5 without certifications. Her DOB is 1/20/2015 and she whelped 5/16/2016. She has good hips and normal elbows, but her sire only had hips so we can assume he failed elbows as did her 2 full siblings. Elbows were added to the code of ethics around 2002 so it's been standard to do them together for some time now. Her mother is completely missing from OFA and her grandmother had Moderate hip dysplasia. I'll dig in to the sire tomorrow if no one beats me to it.https://www.ofa.org/advanced-search?appnum=1792061

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Dang, so glad I turned to this forum! Learning a lot. Looking into Byall acres as well. Hoping for Ripley + Princess Sara litter

Males:

TOBI LEE BYAL: Hips - Fair / Elbow - Normal
RIPLEY NETHER N THE LAND BYALL ACRES: Hips - Good / Elbow - Normal
Females:

BYALL ACRES PLATINUM PRINCESS SARA: Hips - Good / Elbow - Normal
RUTH ANN OF BYALL ACRES: Hips - Fair / Elbow - Normal
SWEETIE PIE OF BYALL ACRES: Hips - Fair / Elbow - Normal
LA SQUIRT OF COTTAGE GROVE: Hips - Good / Elbow: No data
This breeder has been discussed before and has posted on this forum: http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/golden-retrievers-main-discussion/389026-disappointed.html

·
Jeff
1 Posts
Greetings. I, too, have come across CMP Kennels. Wondering if the individual who started this thread wound up with a golden from there and what the experience/impressions were. Thank you.

·
Registered
10,519 Posts
Unless something has changed it would not be a grand idea. The price of a puppy or less- that's what full clearances on OFA would cost on both sire and dam. If a "breeder" cannot afford them they should not be breeding.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts