Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I applied and was accepted and put on a waitlist for a golden, which will be born any day now. Last year when I was put on the waitlist the price was 1200$. Today they messaged me to make sure I was still interested as they'll be born any day now, and informed me the new price is now 1800$. Is this a common thing to change the price in this instance? I haven't paid a deposit or anything but I still feel it's a little bit scummy to not honor the original price

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Hmm.....I don't know. Doesn't sound quite right to me but I'm no expert. Is it a reputable breeder? Do you have the registered names of the parents so you can look at clearances?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No they aren't registered dogs or breeders. I don't even mind paying the price, it's just the fact that they were posted for 1200 when I applied. I just don't know whether to say anything or not as I want the puppy without paying 3000$ for a registered one. Just curious if it was a common thing or not

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
I can't speak to whether this breeder is reputable or not, but a breeder is allowed to change their prices. It sounds like you were on a waitlist for some time and now are getting a puppy. Puppies are now $1800. In a vacuum there is nothing wrong with that. They can choose to sell you a puppy or not and you can choose to buy a puppy or not. Personally, I have never made money on my dogs and I charge more than $1800 for my puppies if that tells you anything ;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don’t think it’s unreasonable for a breeder to have a higher price a year later. However if the dogs aren’t even registered, there’s no way the breeder is bothering to get OFA clearances so I wouldn’t spend $1800 on a dog with completely unknown health background. If they’re not competing with their dogs or doing health clearances, the only rationale for the price is...because so many people want puppies that they can charge that and still find buyers I suppose. Definitely recommend getting pet insurance as soon as you get the puppy if you decide to go forward with it.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I will preface this with that I do believe there is some price gouging going on with puppies right now and that is not right. I am a firm believer in cost should reflect value.

Prices of everything change. That is actually the norm, not the exception. I could call and check a gas price at station one day but I will likely have to pay a different price if I show up a few days later. Same with buying new construction home, or groceries and so on. Costs change and then of course the price we pay changes.

As a breeder if I am asked about price I give a range and this here is why. I never want someone upset with the idea that my costs and therefore my prices can change litter to litter. As an example, if I have a girl that needs medical care such as a c-section, that will impact costs.

Once you sign a contract, then that should lock in the price.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't think it is unreasonable for a breeder to change prices if you haven't put down a deposit and are just on their waiting list. The flip side of this is that you could walk away from the waiting list at any time and not owe the breeder any money. If I did put down a deposit on a future litter, I would expect a refund of the deposit if the price changed and I didn't want to pay the new price. I would be angry if the price changed after the puppies were born if I had already made a deposit or we had a verbal agreement on the price.

Other will comment on unregistered puppies, and I agree with their disapproval at supporting practices that are bad for the breed and the puppies.

Even if you disagree with the disapproval or are not willing to pay for a well bred dog, $1,800 is too much. You can get well bred field labs for that cost. There are plenty of pretty yellow labs that are close to a Golden, and the dog will have clearances and you won't be supporting someone who is doing bad things.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
No they aren't registered dogs or breeders. I don't even mind paying the price, it's just the fact that they were posted for 1200 when I applied. I just don't know whether to say anything or not as I want the puppy without paying 3000$ for a registered one. Just curious if it was a common thing or not
I say this with kind intentions--I am afraid it is quite possible that in addition to the price problem it is likely the puppy you want is not the puppy you may end up with. Puppies from backyard breeders are less likely to have the great Golden temperament or be as healthy as puppies from a breeder who does health testing on the parents and carefully considers the best combination of parents. A price jump of that much seems a little unethical to me so don't expect other aspect of the deal to be any better. You might also look into pet health insurance. Costs to repair bad hips or elbows can be $3,000 to $5,000 each.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I'm somewhat prone to "incremental cost syndrome". A well-bred puppy, a this point, is only $1,200 more than a puppy where it's somewhat of a crap shoot on health and temperament, and it's likely you're supporting someone who is not all-that-interested in "what's good for the breed".

When I was first looking, a breeder who "does it right" pointed out something to me that bears repeating. Getting a puppy from a reputable breeder who follows GRCA guidelines is even more important for those of us who are "just looking for a pet". We're much more likely to be devastated by the health issues more common to goldens, and much more likely in litters being bred by those who cut corners.

·
167 Posts
I applied and was accepted and put on a waitlist for a golden, which will be born any day now. Last year when I was put on the waitlist the price was 1200$. Today they messaged me to make sure I was still interested as they'll be born any day now, and informed me the new price is now 1800$. Is this a common thing to change the price in this instance? I haven't paid a deposit or anything but I still feel it's a little bit scummy to not honor the original price
As I am not a breeder, I will ask, Have you ever met this breeder in person? Or just through internet? Make sure it isn’t a scam! 80% of all pet web sites as well as Craigslist are scams that will offer to have your new puppy delivered to your front door. As you’ll look closer on the web sites, you’ll see clues. Area codes that don’t match where they say they are. Having to deal with multiple people including the “courier “. Please do your research. Right now with Covid, prices for pets are higher then usual. ....David

·
Registered
11 Posts
I wouldn’t pay that. They have nerve. That’s unfair to people. I got my golden in VA for $800, not health screened but I said to myself even if parents are fine I’m sure something can happen god forbid to the puppies.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yea, why bother with health clearances at all, right?
I ageee. I live in NJ and some breeder wanted $5k. Crazy. Not sure where u live but like I said the breeder I used in VA is only $800. That’s a great price for a golden

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
I ageee. I live in NJ and some breeder wanted $5k. Crazy. Not sure where u live but like I said the breeder I used in VA is only $800. That’s a great price for a golden
I hope your gamble pays off for you and the dog because seriously, that's like playing russian roulette.
And SRW I got the sarcasm, and the NCL carrier comment, that'd come back to bite wouldn't it? Sigh. I've spent the last 2 weeks trying to find a home for a totally nothing dog who is sweet and cute (for what he is) with zero clearances for the last 5+ generations- it's hard. O paid like $1600 for him, and had a trainer-he's well behaved- and he's vetted, but anyone w any sense at all doesn't want this sort of risk, even for a minimal price. It's sad when this sort of breeding gets done and people reward the uneducated/idiotic/user breeder by buying the puppies- even for $800. Which is not a good price for a nothing pedigree. It's high pricing for that sort of pedigree. And extremely high risk.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts