Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are several theme of litter threads but I would like more information if feasible. I chose to go with Dreamwork goldens in Canada. Tanya is absolutely amazing and her dogs are really majestic. Very much would recommend her. Anyhow...I did not realize that there would be a theme to the litter of our little girl. So, the theme is May. Any suggestions? I like Mayflower a lot. I also like May West is no Angel. Is that ridiculously stupid?? Lol...

Also, is it typical to have a registered name that is nowhere near what you plan to call your fur babe?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Not stupid at all! Our first Golden's litter theme was James Bond movies. I love that Sheena Easton song "For Your Eyes Only" -- 80's throwback for sure! LOL! So, her name was MGM For Your Eyes Only.

Call name? Ivy

Ivy was not even remotely close to For Your Eyes Only! LOL!

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
We also had to incorporate May in some fashion in the registered name. Another way to think would be to use a derivative like "Mayking", "May'd", etc.

We ended up with "Magic May'ker" ( should have been "Mischief May'ker, lol) with a totally unrelated call name since we had decided on the call name before knowing the litter theme.

Some people here are really good at creating related registered and call names so I am sure you will get plenty of suggestions.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
No, not stupid at all, I like your choices. I take it you have to add 'DreamWork' in front of say 'Mayflower' or ' May West Is No Angel' ?

Our breeder had a theme too, it was the 'heart' litter. So, I went with Harborview Tugging At My Heart Strings - but call name is "Ben" - it does not have to be matching with the registered name.

How exciting, congrats on the new baby :)

·
Noreaster
2,077 Posts
Maybe, Baby.

Maybe, maybe not.

May the road rise to meet you.

Mayhem (hmmm, could be self-fulfilling prophecy!)

Okay, need caffeine. I'm no good at this, but it's fun!

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Nope, call name and registered name do not have to "match" at all.
There are some who find it fun to match them up, I am one of those as you can probably tell by the call and registered name in my signature. ;)
The call name is the more important and of course is the more personal one.
For what it is worth, it seems like a lot of us matchy, matchy folks compete (makes figuring out or remembering the long name easier) and/or are word/puzzle oriented.
So, if you are up for the puzzle challenge, go for it, it can be great fun. If you already have a call name and don't care, I say don't sweat it.:D

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
April Showers bring May flowers-call name daisy, rose, iris, etc ..

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I know a lot of dogs whose registered names have nothing to do with their call names.

If you like the song "Call Me Maybe" you could think about using it.
Or "Dreamworks May The Force Be With You".

·
Noreaster
2,077 Posts
Any chance they were born on May 4?

May the Fourth Be With you!

Reactions: Eowyn

·
Registered
949 Posts
I like to use something from mom or dad - both if I can.

How about

Dreamworks May You Wish Upon a Star - Pick any Disney character for a call name

Dreamworks Maybe Magic

Reactions: mayflower and Eowyn

·
Registered
21,184 Posts
Well, maybe any Disney character except Tinkerbell! I boarded a huge, fat yellow lab named Tinkerbell.

I like to use something from mom or dad - both if I can.

How about

Dreamworks May You Wish Upon a Star - Pick any Disney character for a call name

Dreamworks Maybe Magic

Reactions: Goldens R Great

·
Kate
21,402 Posts
Congrats on the new puppy<: Who are the parents?

To answer you - Bertie is our first whose name has nothing to do with his registered name. And it happened that was because we decided on his actual name and it STUCK, and I decided on a registration name that lined up with Jacks' registration and also fit Bertie's little personality and stuff he did as a puppy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know a lot of dogs whose registered names have nothing to do with their call names.

If you like the song "Call Me Maybe" you could think about using it.
Or "Dreamworks May The Force Be With You".
Such a great idea!!:smooch:

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Ah - congrats<:

Elinor's dad is my Bertie's uncle. I think that makes her Bertie's cousin... or something. :)
Yeah, trying to figure out how dogs are related can get really complicated really fast, lol.

How about "Dreamworks What Dreams May Come" I think it is the name of a movie? I haven't seen it though.
"Dreamworks May Dreams Come True"
"Dreamworks Come What May"
"Dreamworks May This Be Love"
"Dreamworks Mayhem Mayker"
"Dreamworks MayDay"
"Dreamworks MayDay Someday"
"Dreamworks Mayhem Happens"
"Dreamworks Mayhem In The Mayking"
"Dreamworks Mayhem In The Making"
"Dreamworks Song In May"
"Dreamworks May Love Remain"
"Dreamworks Mayflower Setting Sail"