Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have an opportunity to get a puppy from a breeder in Gilroy, CA. The breeders are Tim and Lisa Ballard (Goldwyn Goldens). I'm just not knowledgable enough to understand whether there are pedigree/health red flags here or not.

I would really appreciate it if any of you that knows how to look at these and determine whether this is a possibly a solid option for a puppy. Also, if anyone has any knowledge about this breeder, I would be eager to hear.

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
To make it a little easier can you post the registered akc names of the dam and sire .

I can look up OFA with names alone

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
Here is the bitch's pedigree : Pedigree: Regency Midnight Sky I updated her eyes and input her cardiac. I bred to her brother a couple of times, he is a stellar dog (Up to No Good, Sniper).
You should take the file w her registration cert off the post, the info on the issue date could allow an unethical person to hang a litter on her. Same for Rolex's registration cert. Here's his pedigree page: Pedigree: GCH Regency It's Snow Time OS
He also has all CoE clearances with his eyes being in the grace period for Covid but I see he died last year, so this must be a frozen semen breeding.
They'll be pretty puppies, that is sure!

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GCH Regency It's Snow Time OS "Rolex" and Regency Midnight Sky "Sapphire"

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As always, you are amazing. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.
Here is the bitch's pedigree : Pedigree: Regency Midnight Sky I updated her eyes and input her cardiac. I bred to her brother a couple of times, he is a stellar dog (Up to No Good, Sniper).
You should take the file w her registration cert off the post, the info on the issue date could allow an unethical person to hang a litter on her. Same for Rolex's registration cert. Here's his pedigree page: Pedigree: GCH Regency It's Snow Time OS
He also has all CoE clearances with his eyes being in the grace period for Covid but I see he died last year, so this must be a frozen semen breeding.
They'll be pretty puppies, that is sure!
Thank you for your fast response and for all of the great info. I removed everything but the pedigrees from my original post. Good to know.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
I know Lisa and I am very familiar with the pedigree, as my oldest girl, Smooch (CH Ridgeview's Last Kiss), is a Rolex daughter. Rolex did pass away so this is a very special frozen semen breeding. You would be very lucky to get one of these puppies, as I knew Rolex well and he was an incredible dog. All of my dogs now come down from him and I may go back to him at some point - I liked him that much. :)

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know Lisa and I am very familiar with the pedigree, as my oldest girl, Smooch (CH Ridgeview's Last Kiss), is a Rolex daughter. Rolex did pass away so this is a very special frozen semen breeding. You would be very lucky to get one of these puppies, as I knew Rolex well and he was an incredible dog. All of my dogs now come down from him and I may go back to him at some point - I liked him that much. :)
This is awesome news. I have been networking, researching and looking for a quality breeder and it has been so challenging. We lost our Ryder this past March and he looked so much like Rolex. With COVID, it has been nearly impossible to get on a good breeders list as they are all full. Thank you so much for sharing.

Best,
Leslie

·
Registered
3 Posts
HI Leslie,

Don't know how I landed up on this forum but so glad I did. We are also getting a puppy from Lisa. Found her last week after extensive research on our Troy's pedigree and turns out it is her Rolex that was our Troy's father! Troy just passed away Monday from Lymphoma after a 4 month battle. He was 10 and the most beautiful golden like his dad Rolex. Rolex died at 13 in May 2020 so yes, this is his frozen sperm. The mom is Sapphire. We are so excited to be getting Troy's half brother! Lisa is amazing and well respected.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HI Leslie,

Don't know how I landed up on this forum but so glad I did. We are also getting a puppy from Lisa. Found her last week after extensive research on our Troy's pedigree and turns out it is her Rolex that was our Troy's father! Troy just passed away Monday from Lymphoma after a 4 month battle. He was 10 and the most beautiful golden like his dad Rolex. Rolex died at 13 in May 2020 so yes, this is his frozen sperm. The mom is Sapphire. We are so excited to be getting Troy's half brother! Lisa is amazing and well respected.
Thank you for your message. I’m sorry for your loss, we lost our boy in March and it has been such a difficult process trying to find a good breeder with any possibility of getting on a wait list. A couple of other breeders on this site have reached out and have also said that Lisa is a solid breeder and Rolex was amazing. I am on the list for a boy from Sapphire and Rolex. The one thing that does concern me is if you look on the pedigree for Rolex there has been a lot of cancer. Unfortunately that just may be the case with virtually any line. Thanks again for your message. I imagine we might see each other when the pups are 5 weeks old. Hopefully all goes well with the pregnancy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for your message. I’m sorry for your loss, we lost our boy in March and it has been such a difficult process trying to find a good breeder with any possibility of getting on a wait list. A couple of other breeders on this site have reached out and have also said that Lisa is a solid breeder and Rolex was amazing. I am on the list for a boy from Sapphire and Rolex. The one thing that does concern me is if you look on the pedigree for Rolex there has been a lot of cancer. Unfortunately that just may be the case with virtually any line. Thanks again for your message. I imagine we might see each other when the pups are 5 weeks old. Hopefully all goes well with the pregnancy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

Yes Rolex died of Lymphoma, but he was 13 and it seems like any one of these nasty cancers may have been a problem the older he got. My sweet Troy was almost 10 and also died of lymphoma. He had the B cell type, which is supposedly more treatable but he unfortunately failed 4 protocols. Our oncologist, also a golden owner, said there is a nasty aggressive strain of the B cell recently, which the dogs are not responding to with treatment. I don't know how I would handle it all again as it was tough to see him go through all that, even though he seemed to handle it well until the end and we just knew the cancer had won and it was enough. Hardest day of my life. He was my baby!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi,

Yes Rolex died of Lymphoma, but he was 13 and it seems like any one of these nasty cancers may have been a problem the older he got. My sweet Troy was almost 10 and also died of lymphoma. He had the B cell type, which is supposedly more treatable but he unfortunately failed 4 protocols. Our oncologist, also a golden owner, said there is a nasty aggressive strain of the B cell recently, which the dogs are not responding to with treatment. I don't know how I would handle it all again as it was tough to see him go through all that, even though he seemed to handle it well until the end and we just knew the cancer had won and it was enough. Hardest day of my life. He was my baby!
Hi Karyn,

Have you heard anything about the puppies? I thought Sapphire was having a C-section on the 24th. I know Lisa must have her hands full if all went well but I am concerned that I haven't heard anything as yet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts