Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

161 - 176 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok, is it suitable? Only people who have bought it know that I want to know more information about people who have bought his dog. Please contact me because I don't have money, but I also want to have a Golden Retriever dog. Adult dogs are difficult to domesticate, close to us and take time, but I have children who can't take risks and need more easily trained puppies. Raising from a puppy [email protected]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi..
I am resurrecting this thread as some of us have done in the past when we have come across his kijiji ad with a price next to unbelievable and secondly getting impressed by what he told you over the phone call. I am still trying to do my research before I pay him the deposit. Are there more people who actually ended up buying a pup from him? The pups are priced at 775 on kijiji, a bit higher than his 2019 rate but still a lot less than what other breeders are selling at. Please let me know if you ended up buying from Allen? [email protected]

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
I meant registered names...
there about a million 'sugar's' and I don't see a Ricecake on k9data.. or a dog on OFA with RiceCake in his name.

There WERE many serious ethical issues in the earlier posts. If you are seeing your puppy purchase as a casual thing, then probably all the ethical things won't matter- but if you are looking for a family member for many years, it would pay to do good homework.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I meant registered names...
there about a million 'sugar's' and I don't see a Ricecake on k9data.. or a dog on OFA with RiceCake in his name.

There WERE many serious ethical issues in the earlier posts. If you are seeing your puppy purchase as a casual thing, then probably all the ethical things won't matter- but if you are looking for a family member for many years, it would pay to do good homework.
You will not get registered names, he doesn't believe in registering puppies because he has an issue
with the CanKC. He also claims he produces "seeing eye dogs" for St Johns Ambulance. St Johns Ambulance
provides therapy dog teams 9owner and dog0 in Ontario, not "seeing eye dogs".

·
Registered
1 Posts
A couple months ago I was calling up golden breeders that I found online/through friends. I ended up going with a gentleman named Al Bain in Campbellford, ON. He seemed to know his stuff, provided an 8 year guarantee for hips, heart, eyes and elbows, and claimed to have some 40some years of experience in GR breeding. He also claimed to train guide dogs for St. John's Ambulance and boasts that his dogs are from the states and have no hereditary problems.

I visited them last week and both parents were well tempered and friendly, and he handled the puppies with care and overall it seemed like a good match. Of course, this was before I discovered this wealth of information online and I went ahead and placed a deposit with him. I looked him up online and found a few posts from members of this forum claiming they had good experiences with him as well.

Now that I'm reading all the checklists and such on this forum, I'm feeling a bit nervous because I noticed some red flags. He has no website and isn't registered with the CKC. He also only charges $430 a pup, and at the time of my visit, he hadn't offered any references or proof to any of his claims, but maybe that was because I didn't ask.

Another thing is that he said the puppies should be available for pickup in the first week of February, but when I asked if I could pick up on Friday, he told me to call Thursday to ask again because he said that his vet goes to him, and he won't know until the vet gives the OK. I found this kinda sketchy because I feel like breeders should know when their vet is going to drop by and when their puppies can be rehomed.

Anyhow, this is the most recent information I can find on him:
Als Goldens | Facebook
It hasn't been updated in a while.

Anyway, I was just hoping someone maybe had some experience with Al and could give me some peace of mind, or any thoughts. It's already too late to back out because I've already placed a deposit, but maybe if someone could help me think of what to ask him when I visit him again or over the phone?

Thanks and sorry for the wall of text :p
We sent a $100 deposit for a puppy that was going to be born within 1-2 weeks. It has been a month and I called to inquire and they don’t even know if the dog is pregnant now 🤷‍♀️
No contact but happy to take the money and make us wait for who knows how long. Maybe this is normal for dog breeders, but not how I would run a business

·
Super Moderator
907 Posts
We sent a $100 deposit for a puppy that was going to be born within 1-2 weeks. It has been a month and I called to inquire and they don’t even know if the dog is pregnant now 🤷‍♀️
No contact but happy to take the money and make us wait for who knows how long. Maybe this is normal for dog breeders, but not how I would run a business
Not normal. Most breeders will wait until a pregnancy is confirmed or puppies are on the ground to take deposits..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. Paid Al Bain the deposit way back in March and have heard nothing since.
Hello everyone ! I had make a deposit in may for a pick up between october and january. I have a good friend of mine that adopt his dog there. It's the most lovely, intelligent, beautiful I have ever seen. This guy is not tight with follow up and details but it worth it. It was the same kind of situation that my friend didnt have many news and then he called to say the puppy is ready. I have my trust in this place knowing my friend experience in his dog.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone ! I had make a deposit in may for a pick up between october and january. I have a good friend of mine that adopt his dog there. It's the most lovely, intelligent, beautiful I have ever seen. This guy is not tight with follow up and details but it worth it. It was the same kind of situation that my friend didnt have many news and then he called to say the puppy is ready. I have my trust in this place knowing my friend experience in his dog.
We picked our puppy up from him 2 weeks ago. She is one of the most intelligent dogs I have ever had with such a great temperament. Would highly recommend. We had no correspondence then had a phone call at 7 weeks to say come and pick her up.

·
Registered
284 Posts
We picked our puppy up from him 2 weeks ago. She is one of the most intelligent dogs I have ever had with such a great temperament. Would highly recommend. We had no correspondence then had a phone call at 7 weeks to say come and pick her up.
I hope you didn't pay very much, and bought insurance. Anyone who can't or doesn't register with AKC or CKC and doesn't believe in health exams shouldn't be breeding dogs and you have no idea of what you got in terms of genetics.

161 - 176 of 176 Posts