Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Grommet, our 6 week old Golden Retriever has breath that can kill. It smells like feces. But he is not eating anything poo related. Should I take him to the vet? Is this normal? Has anyone else had this problem? I just want to make sure he is ok. Thank you :)

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
Has he been de-wormed? Worms can sometimes make the breath very stinky, especially in severe cases where they end up in the stomach.

If he hasn't been to the vet very recently for a check up and fecal, I would get him in. Especially because 6 weeks is too young to have been taken from his mother, so it is very important he have a health check.

·
Registered
233 Posts
My puppy had pretty nasty breath as well. It was just "puppy breath" as far as I know...all her vet checks went fine.

One person I know actually liked the smell...but my husband and I thought it was nasty. She's now 6 months old and her breath is "normal".

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
I would definitely call the vet. 6 weeks is really young....actually it's illegal to sell a puppy under 8 weeks old in California under Cal. Penal Code section 597z. Where did you get your puppy? Has he been to the vet for a vet check yet?

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
All the puppies I have had their puppy breath smelled awful to me. I could never understand why people think it smells good - but when in doubt, always contact your vet, especially with such a young puppy.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
All the puppies I have had their puppy breath that smelled awful to me. I could never understand why people think it smells good - but when in doubt, always contact your vet, especially with such a young puppy.
My handler friend thinks all puppies smell like pee and that puppy breath is really pee-breath. And when people oooh and ahhh over puppy smells and puppy breath he always wants to tell them "YOU'RE SMELLING PEE!" lol

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
My handler friend thinks all puppies smell like pee and that puppy breath is really pee-breath. And when people oooh and ahhh over puppy smells and puppy breath he always wants to tell them "YOU'RE SMELLING PEE!" lol
Oh, that is funny!!!

I think WMAG has it right - to me it always smelled a little skunky, I could never put my finger on it, until I just read that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The other day I was taking him out to use the bathroom and caught him actually eating his poop. So, he has poo breath because he is indeed eating it. I keep a close eye on him now. But thank you everyone for your input.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We actually got him at 7 weeks. My husband told me he was 6 weeks old but he was born on 12/26/11. He obviously didn't do the math.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
My pups breath used to stink but I thought it was more of a skunk smell! So glad it didn't last long!
Hank had that "skunky" smell as well when we first brought him home. It went away after I changed his food.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts