Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a huge breakthrough with our 7 1/2 week old Gracie! Since yesterday, 5 different times she went to the back door and scratched at it. I put on her leash, opened the door, and she made a bee-line for her potty area and went pee! The hard work of taking her out every 2 hours for the past 10 days is finally paying off! She did have one accident this morning but that was more my fault for knowing she had to go (she'd been in her crate for 2 hours) and putting her down for a minute while I went to find my shoes. We've basically gone cold turkey and haven't put out pee pads in about a week. I'm trying to make the most out of me being off work for our first 2 weeks with her. She'll pretty much pee on demand now whenever I take her out....pooping is another story though. I'm curious...do you good folks use the same word for going pee and poo (like "go potty!")? Or different words for each? When I know it's been a long time since she's gone #2, I take her to her area and say "go potty" and she pee's. Not sure if I'm confusing her...

Another breakthrough: she only got us up once last night to go potty. I put her in her crate at 11:30 and she woke up at 2:30 and my wife took her out. She didn't wake up again until my wife's alarm went off at 5:45 (and even then we had to coax her out to go potty).

Anyway, just thought I'd share the good news!

·
Daisy-Broken Heart Healer
595 Posts
Congratulations! That is huge progress. We actually use two phrases--and they know what they mean! "Go Potty" and "Find a spot". It really helps that they can "stop, drop and go" on command.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Great news Gracie! :smooch: You are doing a GREAT job with her! That definitely helped with Klondike when he was small. I would take him out often, and always told him...go potty. He trained very quickly, as it sounds like Gracie is doing as well!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts