Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ugh, I dont know what happened to me but i just completely broke down and I feel bad for doing this but I am just looking for some support.

Koda has been acting up and I don't know why or what to do. when I play with her she keeps jumping all over me and biting me. I turn around and she does it to my back. She did this outside while playing and when I went to bring her in. She did while I tried to dry her off. That's when I broke down. I feel like she doesn't listen to me at all roght now.

Of course DH has been out of town this week.

Am I alone in this or does anyone have suggestions...

·
Megan, Moose's Mom
746 Posts
i like to feel it's them going through a phase. moose has decided to completely stop listening to anything we say. we was so good with coming in from outside and if we had to wipe his paws he would listen to our sit.. or even sit on his own. now it's a huge fight. he is also constly jumping up when trying to play almost like to grab my arm and he is constly in my face for some reason. he never use to be like this and i am the only one home with him during the day and when my boyfriend comes home at night moose just listens to whatever he says and just lays on the couch with me and snuggles. i get all the crap all day. i have had many breakdowns.. so your not alone. and i cant even take moose for a walk because he suddenly just wont listen to me! all i can do is correct him.. and even thats not working!

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Omg this makes me feel better. That is exactly what she does and yes if my hubby was home she would be an angel. I was off woek today too so its amplified today. I just felt bad gettimg frustrated with.her but I lost it after a week of this.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 10 month old who is acting like his body has been taken over by an alien pup-he's been that out of control. When I'm getting frustrated I will usually give them (and me) a timeout in the crate. It helps having a few minutes of peace to regain your composure!

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I agree, I should have done that.

I took her outside again, stayed calm and we had much better results. I am going to do my best to keep calm. I have family coming over tonight so at least I will get a break at that point!

Thank you guys for your responses, it always makes the situation a little better when we know we aren't alone. This must be those "teenage years" all the veterans warned us about! :)

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have a 10 month old who is acting like his body has been taken over by an alien pup-he's been that out of control. When I'm getting frustrated I will usually give them (and me) a timeout in the crate. It helps having a few minutes of peace to regain your composure!
I got the giggles picturing you crouched in a crate in your timeout. :p:

As far as the jumping/biting issue- you are not alone. Our pup does this to my husband too (but not me?) all the time and for the life of us we can't figure out why or what to do about it!

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Brady used to do this to me too and turning my back on him and walking away seemed to make matters worse. Never did it to my husband after the first week.

I was told it has to do with a woman's voice. When we get upset, it goes to a higher pitch and that excites them, while a man's goes to a lower pitch and that the will listen to.

Take some empty soda cans, put about 8 - 10 pennies in each. Keep them strategically around the house, when she acts up grab the can and shake it once or twice giving the "Off" command or "No". It will grab her attention.

Also when Brady got this way he usually needed a nap.

I had one really tough month, and then he got better, now he is perfect. With MacKenzie, we never went through that, but she had Brady to bite and wrestle with.

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good point about a nap...she hasn't slept much today..maybe 2 1/2 hours total when she normally is crated during the day. I am sure it is a culmination of things too. I will have to try to the can thing, that sounds like it might work. Glad to hear it gets better..every time we get better something else comes up..such is life!

Thanks everyone! :)

·
Registered
389 Posts
OMG Kasey has turned into a monster the last few weeks! She does not want to listen and she keeps biting me also! I try to walk away and she charges after me attacking my feet. I never used to put her in her crate when I am home but recently she has been getting a few time outs a day! She is 8 1/2 months old now.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Hang in there girlfriends, mine are going through this too especially our 8 1/2 mo old. It MUST be a stage, for so many of us to have this, but darn I'm tired and have to work hard not to let my frustrations show.

Still nice to come here and find I am not alone! If I could fit in a crate to block them out I would do it, but admit I have just gone into my bedroom, turned on the TV and took a time out. Classes start soon, and we work every day, but know I will have the worst ones in class. Uck..

·
Megan, Moose's Mom
746 Posts
it must be those teenage years! now i know what my mom went through with me lol.. i use to think it was the deep manly voice that my boyfriend has is why he would listen, so i tried deeping my voice once.. clearly that didn't work lol

as for classes.. where i live there is like 2. and they have them at the weirdest times. one class wants us to have him fixed at 6 months and the other isnt until march. was had him in a puppy class.. that worked well :doh:

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Wait - were you are our house this morning? Maybe because it was 28 degrees out, the dog was extra peppy. Running around during his usual nap time, jumping around and mouthing me. I felt bad leaving him home with my husband all day, as they were stuck at home waiting for a delivery. Well, hopefully he'll have a quiet day tomorrow.

·
Apollo & Knightley's mum!
279 Posts
My pup is only 5 1/2 months and isn't up to that stage yet obviously... But I would be increasing exercise, training and mental games to make the stage a little easier.

Nose work can be extremely tiring for a dog. I started working on some basic scenting games with my pup today, and found this interesting website.

I'd also recommend something called "Leading the Dance", a set of rules and expectations worked out by the well known clicker trainer Sue Ailsby. It is something you can put in place for a couple of weeks to help reassert your leadership of the household and put some of the bad habits to rest. Follow this link to check it out. It is recommended you do it along with a clicker training program, but I think you can do it with any positive training program.

Looking forward to fun and games in a couple of months time.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I can't remember when but there is a stage at maybe 9 or 10 months that they just grow "brain dead". They forget all their commands and just do not listen, doesn't last long but is frustrating.

·
Registered
586 Posts
sooo feel your pain--and everyone elses here as well! Now I know I don't have the worst dog in the world--just a defiant, "mouthy" teenager!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Brady used to do this to me too and turning my back on him and walking away seemed to make matters worse. Never did it to my husband after the first week.

I was told it has to do with a woman's voice. When we get upset, it goes to a higher pitch and that excites them, while a man's goes to a lower pitch and that the will listen to.

Take some empty soda cans, put about 8 - 10 pennies in each. Keep them strategically around the house, when she acts up grab the can and shake it once or twice giving the "Off" command or "No". It will grab her attention.

Also when Brady got this way he usually needed a nap.

I had one really tough month, and then he got better, now he is perfect. With MacKenzie, we never went through that, but she had Brady to bite and wrestle with.

I have found some truth in this myself. there was a time when Nash would do the "crazy dog" routine. my wife would get upset that he wouldn't listen to her. She mimicked my tone for a little while and he listened. I couldn't believe it worked with all the laughing I was doing :D

Another thing that I found different with voices was the sound of your panicked voice. If nash made a dash for the road and I gave a very harsh (scared) yell for him to stop it looked almost like I kicked his feet out from under him he would stop so fast. my wife's voice is like she's not even there.

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
Max lost his ears a couple weeks ago and has yet to find them. He's four. Maybe when he's six, he'll stop being a baby brain.

Just a note, we tried the "shake the can of pennies" thing when he was a puppy - and it worked fine, till we realized that we couldn't ever shake anything that rattled around him, he would run from it. One of my friends sat and shook a treat can and couldn't figure out why he was going in the opposite direction every time!

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Glad we have the support of each other during this time. And glad to see we aren't alone..this must be the teenage thing for sure!

Since my breakdown yesterday I have tried a couple of things. One I turn my back every time she goes into her jumping fits which has been a few more times since yesterday. She jumps on my back a few times and once she backs off I turn around and calmly ask her to sit...all is well after this. I feel this has worked the best and she realizes the fun stops if she is jumping.

My DH comes home tonight. He tends to get frustrated easier than me so I sent him a warning email tonight laying out what he needs to do if she does this to him. I wouldn't be suprised if she didn't even try it with him as there is more respect there than with me.

We start class on Monday and I will be doing the training with her as now we see she needs to learn some respect with me.

The ears turned off sure has happened around here. She was sooooo good wtih stay's and come and now I will put her in a stay and walk away and she just gets up and starts sniffing around like its no big deal. Or she will be in front of me and I will say "koda come" and she just stares at me with a blank face...talk about frustrating. Back to the basics we go! :)

Good luck to all of you and know I am here to listen to anyone else when they have a breakdown!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts