Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Piper has been home about 7 hours. Here are my questions.

What time do they go to bed at night? She is currently crated in my daughters room. (per my daughters request) They both went to sleep about 30 minutes ago, 730pm. My daughters bedtime. I know I will be taking her out every couple hours tonight, but should I have a play session or anything later before I go to bed? Or just take her out and straight back to the crate?

I did a big boo boo. We fed her around 4, since she missed the noon feed. BUT, I totally forgot to feed her ANY of the food from the breeder and just gave her what we paln on feeding her! Aggghhh! Didn't even occur to me until much later. She seems fine, but what could happen? Should we go back tomorrow and gradually introduce it?

THanks!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I think I would hold off putting her in the crate so early. Keep her out and do a play session before you are going to bed and take her out for her last trip. Then put her in the crate in your daughters room.
Hopefully she wont have any diarrhea from the new food but if she doesnt then I would keep feeding her the new food. If she does get the diarrhea then I would slowly transition the new into the old. About 3/4 old and 1/4 new for first week and then 1/2 and 1/2 for next week. ETC.

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
I can only speak for myself, but I expect Piper will let you see 'her' routine soon enough. 7.30 seems very early to go to bed. Tess is usually pretty tired in the evening, but I just let her lie where ever she likes. I take her out at about 10.30 and then I put her in her crate. Some evenings she likes just to lie around, other evenings she likes to play, or even goes crazy...
Tess sleeps from 10.30 to 5.30, the point where my son has to go to school. I take her out again when he leaves for the bus, and then she goes back in her crate for another hour. From 7.30, that's a very long night...
About the food I'm not sure. Were you planning to switch very soon after having her home? I've always heard it's better to switch very gradually, because puppy stomachs are very sensitive. But anyhow, congratulations!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I agree with the other responses on here, 7:30 is much too early for a puppy to go to bed. Well at least if you expect her to be quite and calm all night minus the potty trips! I also am unsure of the whole crate in your daughter's room thing, seems like that could be problematic for both. How do you get your daughter to bed at 7:30!? I need to take some pointers from you! As far as the food is concerned, my opinion, but I would combine the foods at the next feeding and cross your fingers that she doesn't get diarrhea or upset stomach from the oops. Maybe she didnt' eat enough of it to cause upset. Then, gradually put more of your "new" food in with the breeder's choice food daily for about a week until you are feeding all the new food. Good luck! Where are the puppy pictures of this new little one?

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
If you put her to bed a 7:30 you will miss out on the 9:00 ZOOMIES :p: Puppies are great sleepers but they have very small bladders so it is best to keep a close eye on them for as many hours as you can per day. That way you will be able to take them outside the second they wake for a potty break. The more times you can get them outside before they pee the quicker the will get it.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Definitely put her to bed later, unless you want a puppy wide awake and ready to start the day at 2am LOL

Our basic schedule with Sam when he was little was:

Dinner around 6
Water picked up around 8
Bedtime around 10
Awake around 6

There was a potty break sometime during the night for the first few weeks then he started sleeping all the way thru the night on his own. A great thing is to really tire the puppy out right before bedtime. Play, run around, even do obedience training to tire the little brain out... the more tired she is, the better she will sleep thru the night.

·
Registered
212 Posts
7:30 is pretty early...since you are the one that will be taking her out, i think i'd try to get her to mimmick your schedule i.e. keep her out of the crate until you go to bed. her own schedule will eventually shake out on its own but initially, why not shoot for up when you're up and in crate when you're in bed? and consistency is key.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
We got Jack about 2 weeks ago (he's 11 weeks) and so far his schedule is as follows:

6:00-6:15 p.m. eat dinner
7:30 pick up water
(playtime)
9:30 in crate for quiet time
10:30 or 11:00 - last potty outside, then bedtime
around 3:00 or 4:00 a.m. - early morning potty break
6:15 wakeup

He slept "through the night" once, but I'm pretty sure it's because his last potty break before we went to bed was at midnight.....so he didn't really sleep through the night. :) The first couple of nights I set my alarm at 1:00 and 4:00 to take him out, to avoid any crate accidents. He didn't have any so now he either whines to be let out around 3 or 4 a.m. or if I happen to wake up to use the restroom he generally wakes up too and asks to go out. 7:30 seems really early to me too. We made the mistake of crating him early...around 8:00...once night because he seemed tired. Around 11 we had a puppy doing en pointe ballet routines in his crate because he was AWAKE!!!!!! We learned our lesson to play play play before he's crated!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Okay, I'm going to be the one to confuse you. I tried to keep Josie up past 7:30, I really did. I even called the breeder to ask for suggestions. She said to put her in her crate from 5-6:30,7, then take her out, play and keep her up until 10 or so. So I did that, I tried to entice her with every toy we had, and no matter what, she was out like a light by 7:30 or maybe 8. Now, 4 weeks later, she will stay up, but she gets VERY naughty, biting, digging, chewing, and I just have to put her to bed. She immediately lies down and goes to sleep like "Yes, finally". And, to boot, she slept through the night by the end of the first week. Not that I'm complaining!
So, I guess you just have to get to know her, and you'll figure out what's right for her, trust your instincts.
By the way, I saw your pictures on the other thread, and she's absolutely adorable!!! Enjoy, she will grow sooooo fast!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts