Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really curious.

After reading a number of posts on here, it seems that people seem to have a definite preference for either a male or a female Golden.

Are there really such big differences?

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Lida, had to think about this for a while then come back to give you my best answer.
I must also temper my answer because we have always had a multi dog household and think if it is a single dog family then it may be different.

In our family the females (all breeds) are a bit more independent and at times somewhat bitchy but loving and full of fun. My boys have bonded very close to us, are more needy but work so very hard to please, more showy in the ring but want us in their sight, where as my girls would probably go home with anyone who would spoil them. Both seem to learn the same, both sexes grow to be the best of dogs. I am starting to believe sex doesn't really matter as much as the breeding, whether from high energy lines or more calm.

This is our first time to have a female golden, and she is beautiful, high strung, learns so fast, but pushes the boundries. I love seeing what I can teach her next, but she needs watching and usually into something she shouldn't. I am having a blast with her! Male is more like our old golden, calm, likes laying around and sticks right with you on walks. He is a gentle, snuggle bug, was never mouthy, learns slower but retains learned things more completely. He is our class star and my baby for sure. Male has an off switch, Female doesn't. They are both following their parents in personality. Coop from pet, Kye from field/showing lines.

Our first golden was a smaller deep red-head, he was always on the move, always with us, would naturally hunt and retrieve. Our second golden boy was huge, a couch dog for sure, loved riding in the truck vs running and was our daughters best friend. Each males, but totally 180 degrees different.

I think it would be more what lines would fit into your lifestyle.. ie Conformation or Therapy/Pet, or whether the more higher energy..ie Agility/Hunting/Field and sex of the dog would be secondary. Both sexes make excellent pets.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I've had both and love both but I would choose a male again. Maggie was much more independent and did things on her own terms. She was also a diva. Hank is definitely a 'velcro' dog, very eager to please and a goof-ball. Each were/is a very loving companion but you never have to wonder where Hank is because he's always by my side. Maggie could never be off-leash because she was a runner with selective hearing, Hank never goes far and has great recall. Of course, these could just be personality traits and nothing to do with gender so my preference may not be fair.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
We've only had male Goldens so I can't give you an answer, but I can tell you that all 3 are closely bonded to their people and very loving. In our next search for a puppy I'm open to either gender.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I tend to agree with Deber, breeding will have more effect on the dog than sex. We only have a male right now, but I hope to add a female so I can see for myself. Tucker always wants to be close, and will sigh if my wife is in another room without him for too long. He certainly keeps a watchful eye over all of us. He does not like when we split up as a family on walks and will actually stop and question me if I walk away from the rest of the family with him on lead. I do think males tend to be more goofy than females. Tucker does tend to need to be kept busy, or he will get himself into trouble. This I think is a function of breeding.

·
Registered
13,073 Posts
I had both growing up, but i know the reason I went for a female for my first dog as an adult was because the female I had as a child was perfect in every way. I only had her for a year, when I was 9 and she was 9. So she was calm, and well behaved, and I adored her. Our male I had for 10 years from puppyhood was poorly trained, which was not his fault, but I wanted a replicate of my dear 9 year old memory.

I love other people's big teddy bear, velcro males, but I know for me, I also like the often more independent females, and the slightly smaller size. And, I confess, I like that she doesn't lift her leg constantly!! :eek:

It really just comes down to personality and choice! And some females are velcro, and some are bigger... but none of them lift their legs!! :p::p:

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I had both growing up, but i know the reason I went for a female for my first dog as an adult was because the female I had as a child was perfect in every way. I only had her for a year, when I was 9 and she was 9. So she was calm, and well behaved, and I adored her. Our male I had for 10 years from puppyhood was poorly trained, which was not his fault, but I wanted a replicate of my dear 9 year old memory.

I love other people's big teddy bear, velcro males, but I know for me, I also like the often more independent females, and the slightly smaller size. And, I confess, I like that she doesn't lift her leg constantly!! :eek:

It really just comes down to personality and choice! And some females are velcro, and some are bigger... but none of them lift their legs!! :p::p:
That is not true, I have seen some females lift their legs... it looks pretty funny!

Anyway, I prefer males; Beamer is my first male and he always wants to be where I am. My mom's lab, Sadie is much more independent.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
The phrase that has been repeated here many times is that females are (Love Me, Love Me) and males are (Love You, Love You) In my experience with both sexes that seems to sum it up.

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
It's really about your personality which would suit you better. All the female goldens I know are loving and some are snuggly, but the boys are definitely velcro and to me, more desirous of pleasing their people.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I only ever had female dogs growing up, and when my older brother moved out he adopted a male dog named Spike from our local human society. I absolutely adore Spike, and while I've found my female dogs (only one is still alive) to be just as sweet as him, there's something about Spike that made me want to get a male this time around. I regret nothing!

·
Dexter's Mom aka Kristin
625 Posts
We have always had male dogs growing up, and now I have a male of my own. My grandparents, on the other hand, ALWAYS had females. I spent a lot of time with them after school and during the summer so I got to experience both sides. I agree with others that males are "velcro dogs" or seem more needy and females are more independent.

With Penny, my grandma's dog that I (basically) grew up with, would be SO excited to see you, she'd love you...and then she was done with you. She'd go off and do her own thing..dig, nap, chase squirrels in the back yard. If you wanted to play, she'd play, but you had to initiate it. She was a lab, so it may be a little different with golden girls..but probably not much.

Dexter is 100% stuck on me. Since it is just Dexter and I in my apartment at school during the week, we spend A LOT of time together, so we are very close. If I leave the room, he follows. If I go outside, he follows. If I let him outside to go potty, he wants to come back in if I'm not with him. He is hyper, but not super high strung. He has been extremely easy to train (except for jumping), he is always eager to please. He always wants to play. Always has a toy in his mouth. When I come home, his entire body wags and he makes this funny growling/whining noise like he's so happy he can barely contain himself and he's stuck to my side. He's very "forgiving," if something happens. He knows when he has done something he shouldn't have..guilty little face. He always wants to cuddle with me in bed...which I love :love: He's just so full of love and happiness..and those big brown eyes..it makes me melt inside. He is ALWAYS happy, and that makes me happy. He is kind of the same way with my dad, but it's very obvious that I'm his "person." He chooses me over everyone else.

I say that I'd like for Dexter to have a little sister...but honestly, my next will probably be another boy. I already have names picked out :eek: (Finn or Eli, lol..)

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
I think the females are smarter than the males...they're definitely more independent than the males but the males are dedicated, goofy and really try to please. This is based on having owned one female and one male...so they all must be like mine...right :bowl:

Ps my female did raise her leg to pee from time to time so you can't count on that not happening.

Pete

Reactions: Deber
1 - 12 of 12 Posts