Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love oranges, for some reason my dogs love oranges (through thievery). I just discovered the delicious Cara Cara Sunkist orange and brought 10 home from the store. I laid them on the counter and came to the back of the house. About 15 minutes later Ty seemed to be having too much fun and when I looked he had one of my oranges flinging it in the air like a ball and lunging at it. I really don't think he thought of it as a treat, more of a toy. But I realized the renegade dog (Parker) was missing.....the same Parker that stole my peeled, sectioned orange off the counter and ate the whole thing in 3 seconds when I stepped outside the door briefly yesterday.
I rushed to the kitchen and only counted 8 oranges, I found him under the dining room table trying to figure out how to get the bitter peel off.:mad:

Where is my book "Don't shoot the dog?"

·
Registered
242 Posts
How funny, I had steaks on the counter two nights ago, pushed far enough back, or so I thought. I needed to step away for two minutes, as I came around the corner I see Miaya heading for the living room with something in her mouth... Guess who did not have steak for supper:mad:

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't blame the dogs--those things are seriously addicting!
mmmmm, aren't those things delicious? I didn't know what they were and when I peeled one and saw dark pink meat I was puzzled but now I am addicted. Not cheap either!

How funny, I had steaks on the counter two nights ago, pushed far enough back, or so I thought. I needed to step away for two minutes, as I came around the corner I see Miaya heading for the living room with something in her mouth... Guess who did not have steak for supper:mad:
Ha ha, better yet guess who did? I am thinking of installing iron bars and a padlock on the kitchen door!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
mmmmm, aren't those things delicious? I didn't know what they were and when I peeled one and saw dark pink meat I was puzzled but now I am addicted. Not cheap either!

Ha ha, better yet guess who did? I am thinking of installing iron bars and a padlock on the kitchen door!
Costco sells them here at a fairly decent price. I'm also addicted to the little Cuties and the red seedless grapes that Costco sells. Most dogs don't like orange peels, but if I peel an orange or cutie, Toby is all over me for the fruit. I always tell him I'm NOT sharing!:no:

·
Registered
506 Posts
My sister doesn't allow dogs in her kitchen. Her BF's dog cracks me up when we are in there or there is food on the counter. He runs through the house to the East entrance of the kitchen and barks, then around through the house at 9-0 to the West entrance of the kitchen and barks. It is an excellent diet plan for me because I feel so sorry for the dog I leave the kitchen. It is a great workout for him on snowy days. My dogs just go in the kitchen anyway. They know no boundaries.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
We have an orange tree in our yard and Nugget loves to retrieve the ones that fall on the ground. Anything on the counter - that's different story. That's a work in progress. BTW, I have been led to believe that grapes are a no-no.

Hang in there. Your dog believes that he is being resourceful!

·
Sunnie's Mom
13 Posts
I use a baby gate to keep Sunni out of my kitchen and out from under my feet while I cook! I love my slow cooker and I'm so scared he will get caught in the cord (because the cooker sits on the table and plugs in close to the floor) and dump hot food all over himself and get hurt.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was stupid enough to leave a loaf of sweet onion parmesan (I think) bread out on the counter. Honey ate the whole thing, plastic and all. No newspaper needed, as we very much suffered the consequences later that night...

·
Hi, I'm Wendee
1,733 Posts
Well I see that Ty and Parker are trying to train you, but it's just taking a little longer than they thought it would. Don't give up guys. Training humans is tough, but I'm sure she'll catch on in no time. :bowrofl:

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Ha! Sorry to laugh, but think we have all been there at some time.

Maisie, looks like the score is Maisie 1, Humans 0! My DH just can't remember to push everything back on the counter so kids can't get it. He has lost many a piece of bread and once his meat for supper due to his actions. Mine are sneaky and watch for the best opportunity to grab and run.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
We have an orange tree in our yard and Nugget loves to retrieve the ones that fall on the ground. Anything on the counter - that's different story. That's a work in progress. BTW, I have been led to believe that grapes are a no-no.

Hang in there. Your dog believes that he is being resourceful!
Yes, those grapes are a definite no-no!! I'm very careful when cleaning and picking them for myself. I usually pair them with a teaspoon of peanut butter and I will let him have a tiny amount of the PB. Other items to watch out for--bread dough and onions. I swear my guy would eat anything so we really watch ourselves and even then he steals things like Keurig K cups and individual creamers. :doh:

He can be on the opposite side of the house or even outside and the second I slice into an apple he comes running. I think apples are his favorite fruit treat!

·
Registered
131 Posts
These posts have made me laugh! How on earth do you get your goldens to eat fruit? Ours have never been interested, you can stick fruit under their noises and they don't bite. I'll have to get out an apple and test them again.

·
Gunner and Honey's Mom
5,624 Posts
That's so funny, Chris. I've never offered Gunner any oranges. I'll have to try. He loves apples and banana's....

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
Jack will steel bananas & sweet potatos off the counter. I can out a cooked steak or anything else up there & he'll come & beg for it untill told no but won't touch it! Love this forum there seems to be something on here every morning that brightens my day & reminds me my Golden boy will be waiting when I get home Thank Ya'll

1 - 20 of 24 Posts