Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Well I am outside of the US and bought the Royal Canin lab retriever by mistake for my puppy to be. It is the junior version. So the question is, can I use this for my golden retirever, is there much difference that it would not be suitalbe for an 8 week old puppy for the next few months? I bought 2 big bags:( and the golden retiever version doesnt seem to be available here.

any help much appreciated .

thanks
snowgoldie

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Please make yourself at home here. I would start your pup on what the breeder was feeding and slowly introduce the new food. If the new food doesn't work I would slowly introduce something else. There is no right food for every golden. You may end up trying several before you find the right one for you dog. Good luck and we do expect pictures.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
I wouldn't have a problem using the lab retriever kind. I think breed specific formulas are more of a marketing tactic. Labs and Golden are very comparative to size and are both sporting dogs...so the formula can't be THAT different from a Golden Retriever formula.

Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Is the Junior version like "puppy" version? If its for an older dog....and not a puppy....I would think that is fine but it would be good for more opinions on that.

I believe some people feed adult formulas to their puppies but my memory is vague.....

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
You will want to find out what food your breeder is feeding the puppies and use that for at least a few weeks and then you can gradually switch to something else if you choose to. If you suddenly switch your new puppy to a food that is different than what the breeder has been feeding, you are going to run into digestive issues like diarrhea. Any change in food needs to be done very slowly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks everyone.

yes, I plan on feeding the same food as the breeder for the first few weeks, and slowly switch over. the junior version is for puppies.

I didnt think it would be an issue, but it is best to check with other goldie owners.

thanks again

Snowgold

1 - 6 of 6 Posts