Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have made the appointment for Boomer to be neutered at 11 months. I know many people on this forum think that's too early but honestly, he is still trying to dominate me and my daughter. We took him to training and have also paid $500 to have Bark Busters come three times. I have really tried to be patient but he is still nipping constantly and even with the tricks we have learned from Bark Busters, he continually tries to test us so I have decided I have held out long enough. Hopefully he will settle down as he is a cute big guy, it's just that the nipping has to stop (and believe me I have tried every suggestion offered on this forum as well).

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Run Boomer Run (In memory of Hooch) I'm sure you have waited as long as you can stand. Just remember the neutering doesn't necessarly mean the nipping will magically stop. It may still take some consistent work on your part still.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Neutering will not be a magic fix, as Rob said... but it might help a bit atleast. Good luck!! :)

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
You have to do what you feel comfortable with. Hopefully it will help and he will be less bitey and more fun. Good luck with the neuter.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I hope the neuter went/goes well and improves Boomer's behavior.
My best dog ever was named Boomer.......
Many dogs get neutered even earlier (from the pound) with no bad effects so I hope Boomer does great.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Quinn was neutered at 11 months and he is fine.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Neutering at 11 months it not too early. In fact, our vet wanted to do Tucker at 6 months, but we are waiting a bit longer. I'm hoping to wait until 11 or 12 months. As others have already said, neutering won't automatically "fix" all bad behaviors, but it may help him calm down some. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts