Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy's name is boomer, but I call him booboo he is about a year and 5 months old. Today we were relaxing and I noticed one of his dew claws looked a little weird, when I took a closer looked I noticed that it looked loose/crooked and was red and had pus between the claw and the foot. I put neosporin on it and wrapped it but I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, what may have caused it, and should I take him to the vet?

·
Registered
953 Posts
He probably caught it on something. Clean it with bactine or some antiseptic cleaner use the neosporin. Make sure he does not lick at it . If it is not better in 24 hours see your vet.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Iorek has loose dew claws (some dogs have dew claws that sit tightly against the paw, others have sort of outwardly curved dew claws... his is the latter) so he's done this a couple times. I always notice it just how you described. I've brought him into the vet for this enough times that I feel comfortable advising, haha!

You can start treatment at home. This is what we do :
3x a day, squirt a syringe (needleless obviously) full of warm water and epsom salt into the wound. I generally do two squirts with a decent size syringe.

3x a day, squirt some Vetericyn wound wash onto it, Vetericyn Universal Wound & Infection Treatment Spray (4 oz)

Before bed, rub a good amount of triple strength antibiotic ointment with pain relief into the dew claw and cover with a fleece shoe, sock, or other comfortable guard.

It's actually best to let it breathe as long as you can supervise to make sure he isn't licking it, hence the antibiotic ointment and boot before bed since you can't supervise while you are sleeping. If you can supervise, go ahead and leave it unwrapped. Keep running and other paw-intensive play to a minimum for about a week.

If it's not clearing up within five days, or if you notice a sizeable increase in swelling or pus in the wound, or any swelling in the paw itself, take him in :) Your vet won't do much else other than start him on an oral antibiotic and check to make sure it hasn't abscessed into the toe itself.

As far as what may have caused it... any number of things, really. A small bite, perhaps he accidentally stepped on a stick or rock funny, he may have outwardly pointed dew claws that are prone to snagging and pulling like Iorek's, he could have done it to himself by chewing, and sometimes yeast infections in the paws can soften the nail beds and make the nail more prone to damage. It's hard to say what caused it exactly on the first incident.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
I would head to the vet for treatment especially since you don't know when and how he injured it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts