Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27822309/

Was curious if anyone has access to when & where the shelter scene was shot. During a pan of the dogs there was an older GR in there.

AND guess what kind of doggies the gov adopted.......

·
Administrator
16,472 Posts
I hope Governor Rendell can keep up the pressure. We in PA have a long ways to go but at least he is trying to get things done.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I can't even believe Petland can stay in business. Our poor rescue springer, Cody, was an impulse purchase as a tiny baby from a local Petland. Of course, then he was thrown in the backyard when he turned into a goofy, active springer. Poor thing, he's had much more than his fair share of health issues, but we love him and promised him he would always be taken care of. I hate to think of where he came from or what condition his littermates must be in... if they are still alive.

·
801 Posts
I saw that on msnbc last night. I clicked on the link where you could email Petland and ask them not to but from mills. I did that and more. Can't say I was very polite about it either, I was so mad. Especially seeing the clips. I am not aware of any Petlands here in Colorado or I would be showing up at their front door! This is a very sad and serious situation, something HAS to be done to stop them and the millers they associate with. All need to be shut down.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Its worth reading Petlands response. http://www.petland.com/PetlandInformation/HSUS.htm

None of Petland's response made the story at msnbc except for a slight blurb that tended to make them look even worse. I think something like this story needs to be verified rather then posted as fact and used to put a business out of business.

I know everyone but me has a problem with Petstore pups. I'm pragmatic.....who's going to benefit by putting a petstore's puppy business out of business ......not dogs....but the lowlife backyard breeders and the real puppymills that sell over th internet or newspaper.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
The people selling to Petland ARE "real puppymills," and are a much bigger problem than small-scale backyard breeders.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
The people selling to Petland ARE "real puppymills," and are a much bigger problem than small-scale backyard breeders.
I'm not so sure I'd equate any commercial licensed breeder as a "puppymill". Commercial breeders have guidelines and stipulations they must follow. Smaller-scale backyard breeders don't have any.

So I guess what I'm saying is that the Unlicensed and illegal breeders will profit greatly.

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
I personally would never purchase a pup from a "store". I do think the media may not include all of the facts. It is worth reading Petlands response.

Greedy inhumane people are the ones who have created this problem. Petland to some extent must be held accountable for what their franchise owners do. The video was heartbreaking to watch and I applaud Governor Rendell for his efforts to put an end to this type of animal treatment.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Here is what really enrages me. When a story is manipulated. I'm not saying that we should buy our puppies from Petland.

But I would like to see a REAL video of the ACTUAL commercial breeder that Petland gets puppies from. And then I want to see the evidence and a check on the evidence would be responsible....not take the word from an organization with an agenda.

I don't like businesses shut down because of unsubstantiated accusations and manipulating media. And I certainly don't like legislation done out of emotion rather then using commonsense and clear facts.

That's it. Thank you for listening.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm only the messenger and I'm not trying to "stir the pot". But this is how we become educated by others direct experiences with these issues. I personally have learned much more than I ever expected being a part of this forum. I just post what I see out there for us to pick apart to discover the agendas of all players involved......chips falling where they may.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts