Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard so many conflicting things about giving your dog bones to gnaw on! Cooked, uncooked, not at all, sometimes under supervision. Yikes! Someone set me straight please!

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Raw ALWAYS. I give raw marrow bones. Usually I supervise but not always, however it is up to you to know what your dog is capable of. I would definitely supervise at first until you know.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Raw beef marrow bones are the ones to get. Make sure you get the ones that are 4-6" long. The shorter ones can get caught on your pups lower jaw. Like Bock said be sure to supervise the first few times whenever you give a new type of toy.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I go to the butcher and get Marley a raw femur bone with the ends cut off and some meat left on! I will allow him to chew on it on the balcony for a few hours per day and it will last for about 3 days (when he's not using it I wrap and refrigerate it). He loves it, everytime we pass the butcher shop on our walk he stops and waits to see if I am going to get him a bone!!

·
3 goldens
11,704 Posts
Here I go being paranoid about something,For 40 years my family and then I gave all bones to dogs--cooked chicken, porck chop, quail, squirrel, rabbit, duck, dove, seak, etc etc and never once had an incident and never even thought about it.

Thn severalyears our neighbors lost a husky pup and tho no necropsy was done, the emegerncey vet theyto himt(fudhim bleing ot hi rar, alms comatse on a Sunday afternoon--felt the pupp had eaten a bone and been "cut up" by it, and the family had cooked chops outon the grill the night before and had 3 kids. It wa snever proven one way or another.

But then I was at my vets one day and there a a choclat lab pup in there in the work area--they were removing the splint or stitches from kayCee's klnee after surgery--and it had a fever of 107, was comatose and they knew the problem--a bone had splinter and piecrced his stomach and pritonitis had set in. I later learned it had died. In obht caes these were cooked bones, but knowing two dogs that died/probably died from splintering bone, well, i just got edgy.

HOWEVER when I make the doggy stew I do use chicken thighs, 5 pounds, bones and all, but after cooking in crock pot for 24 hours, the bones crumble easily. And I always check them and once in a blue moon one doesn't crumble as easy as I like so I toss it.

Honey has a nylabone thatshe chews on daily and this time I got he a huge one bcause one she wears on down I toss it--nver know what that girl will do. I hae thought about giving her raw bones an may do it some day--but she will not touch raw meat so not sure she would chew on raw bone.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
There's one thing about all this that has always confused me...

Dogs in the wild eat sticks, tree's, who knows how many bad plants, deer, rabbits, other creatures, hell even each other sometimes.

And generally they do fine.

How is this?

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
There's one thing about all this that has always confused me...

Dogs in the wild eat sticks, tree's, who knows how many bad plants, deer, rabbits, other creatures, hell even each other sometimes.

And generally they do fine.

How is this?
I think it's more of a human issue. We can't imagine our dogs being fed that.

I'm sure they would be just as happy, or more, eating a dead deer then the kibble we give them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts