Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feeding a home cooked boneless diet. Have been using ground eggshells but heard Bone meal should also be used. It's been stated everywhere that dogs should get: 1.2 to 1.4 parts calcium to 1 part phosphorus.

Got the KAL bone meal brand and realized the ratios are not so great:
1,620 milligrams of calcium
540 milligrams of phosphorus
18mg magnesium
a 3:1 ratio of calcium to phosphorus :doh:

And here's an article suggesting against the use of bone meal
The Importance of Calcium in Natural Homemade Dog Food and Natural Homemade Cat Food

For those that use bone meal, how much and how are your pups doing it?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I read about home-cooking quite a bit before trying it for several months for my dogs. It seemed like the majority of my sources if not all recommended getting the calcium through eggshells.

I dried out the eggshells in a low temp oven for about 5 min.; then ground them almost into a powder with a small coffee bean grinder; then stored them in a glass jar. At meal time I simply measured out the appropriate amount. It was a pretty efficient way I found.

·
Faux Wanda
1,528 Posts
It is my understanding that while egg shell are a good source of calcium, they do not have the calcium/phosphorus ratio that bone does.

Mine eat raw so they eat the bones but I do have a little old dog with no teeth and I feed her ground bone.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
It is my understanding that while egg shell are a good source of calcium, they do not have the calcium/phosphorus ratio that bone does.

Mine eat raw so they eat the bones but I do have a little old dog with no teeth and I feed her ground bone.
The majority of foods in a home cooked diet already have quite a bit of phosphorus and adding more (in bone meal) could be a potential problem. Also, depending on the source of the bonemeal, it could contain undesirable levels of fluoride and lead.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. The article I linked does make some sense ... was considering bonemeal because the Dr. Becker and Dr. Pitcairn books recommended it. I may alternate the bonemeal couple days of week only and stick with the eggshells. I have calcium citrate too before I knew about all these recomendations but that I can take for myself :yuck:

• Meat is low in calcium and high in phosphorus.
  • Our pets need twice as much calcium in their diet as phosphorus.
  • The best way to ensure your pets are getting twice as much calcium as phosphorus is by using finely ground egg shells as a calcium supplement.
  • If our pets do not get enough calcium in their diet, then our pets are more susceptible to health problems relating to excess phosphorus in the body including kidney problems.
  • Providing finely ground egg shells as a supplement is the single most important supplement you can give your pet that is eating a wholesome raw meat diet.
  • You can buy finely ground egg shells or you can make your own egg shell supplement by collecting and grinding the egg shells yourself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts