Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after thinking my whole life that dogs should never have chicken or pork bones, now I learn that its ok as long as the bones are raw? Is this correct?

And if that, then at what age can a puppy be given a raw bone? Is there a specific raw bone that is good for a puppy of 10 weeks, or is this just too young for any type of bone?

Thanks for your help!

Kris

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I think that 10 weeks is a bit too young for bones. The only kind of bones that we give our dogs are marrow or soup bones. We never give chicken or pork bones due to the possibility of choking or obstruction. I would wait until your pup is a little older to give any kind of bones.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I agree with Jo. Stick with beef marrow bones, raw from the butcher or meat counter. Make sure they are at least 3-4" long. Those short 1-2" ones often get themselves wrapped around your puppies jaw.

·
Abby-Molly-Sophie-Cooper
180 Posts
Hi...raw bones are wonderful for dogs but not until your pup is a bit older. He doesn't have his grown up teeth yet. I'd wait until his is at least six months old before introducing a raw bone.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
Well if you are talking about for recreational purposes then I would go with a beef marrow bone. You should be able to get at your local butcher. I would ask for it to be cut about 6 inches long.
Chicken and pork bones are NEVER for recreation chewing but are part of feeding a raw diet.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you! I'll wait till 6 months old and then let him have the marrow bones.

Kris

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
I picked up some beef marrow bones yesterday at my local butchers - any time you buy some meat you get 5 big pieces for free.
I let Cocasse smell them and he seemed unsure about them. He has probably never seen them before.
I'm very nervous about giving him these bones, well any bone really. There is some meat attached and grizzle.
Questions:
How do I know that it's clean?
What if he bites off too much grizzle?
Should I trim it of all meat/fat/gizzle?
Should I boil it for 2 minutes to kill off any bacteria?
Suggestions greatly appreciated. (Bones are currently in the freezer).

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
C's Mom;1007373 How do I know that it's clean? [/QUOTE said:
If you trust your butcher to have a clean establishment, and seein you buy your meat there, I am sure they are fine.

C's Mom;1007373 What if he bites off too much grizzle? [/QUOTE said:
He will just chew on it. It will not hurt him.

C's Mom;1007373 Should I trim it of all meat/fat/gizzle? [/QUOTE said:
No, that is the best part along with the marrow in the center. He will get a taste of the marrow and you will find yourself watching him use his tingue to get it ALL out.

C's Mom;1007373 Should I boil it for 2 minutes to kill off any bacteria? Suggestions greatly appreciated. (Bones are currently in the freezer).[/QUOTE said:
No again. Cooking it in any fashion will make the bone brittle and then pose a danger to your dog. Brittle bones are prone to splinter and can get stuck in their throat, stomach or intestines. The bacteria on it will not harm him and if you leave the bone with him 24/7 he will get it so clean the first day that there will not be time for any bacteria to grow. If you decide to give it for certain intervals then when you take it away wrap it up and place back in the freezer or frig till the next time you give it. If it makes you fell better you can rinse it off under the faucet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts