Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to post about my 8 year old Golden (male) JJ which has a sister Ginger.
We do 2 long walks in the wash on my days off and right before Christmas 2019 I noticed a limp.
Thinking sprain we slowed down on the walks drastically hoping it would go away but it went on for a few weeks then I noticed a small lump just above his right wrist joint. It had just appeared for i was always checking him to find the cause or area of affect. I noticed a slight wince when i would test/squeeze the right wrist ... then I noticed the slight lump appeared. Inside part of the top wrist joint.
So i took him and his sister which they do everything together to a vet close by. (Not our regular Vet).
After the X ray they came in and said my dog has bone cancer. Big slap in the face where i said you have to be kidding me i brought him in for a sprain i thought. they suggested biopsy of the bone and i said no. they mentioned removal of the leg and chemo and i said no. Don't get me wrong i love my Dogs.
After this i went to my main Vet for his opinion and he confirmed what the first Vet said with said X ray.
My Wife and i discussed this and decided to go the Holistic route, change of diet to Chicken breast, Broccoli, Cauliflower, red bell pepper, (cottage cheese and blue berries) mixed in at feeding.
Increased his vitamin to twice a day.
added K9 Omega fish oil 1 x 3 time a day
APOCAPS 3 X 3 times a day
CuraMed 1 X a day
K9 immunity plus 2 x 2 times a day
and a Pain Reliever twice a day (Vet provided Carprofen) or Curamin extra strength we been using the curamin but thinking of switching back and forth?
I saw here in the Forums someone used Flax seed oil with cottage cheese for other cancer.
I wanted to post here to have a place to talk about this.
Ever since this began i been on Youtube and google learning all i can.
Most significant part of my search would be an American Billionaire on the cutting edge of discovering a cure that has to do with our immune system fighting it.
We're into our 2nd week of of his new diet and began short walks which he loves. His limp has changed to only signs when he goes faster then a walk.
There are no signs of swelling just the small lump as stated.
"We cannot make our loved ones last forever but maybe longer"
He's seems pretty normal and Pray that god may keep him here with us longer.
Considerations were our budget and age of our Goldens.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
I'm sorry about your dog's diagnosis and hope for as much time as possible for him. Sounds like you're doing all you can. Kind thoughts to you.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
I am so sorry for this diagnosis. I think everyone has their own personal guidelines about age, prognosis, impact from treatment, and treatment costs. It's a hard road and easy to second guess your choices. Spoil JJ and treasure all your days with him and Ginger. I hope there are lots of them.

·
Super Moderator
1,195 Posts
All of my hopes for lots of healthy and happy times ahead with your pup!

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
I also meant to say you could see if there are any veterinary medicine colleges near you that are doing research studies on osteosarcoma

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,780 Posts
I'm very sorry about JJ's diagnosis.
Sending good thoughts your way and I hope you have many days to come.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts