Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 9week old puppy and a 14 month old Golden. Our breeder told us that we really need to spend tons of one on one time with Sam as he needs to bond with us the most. I totally agree and we have made every effort to play, train and give him time away from Cash. Of course, the two want to play and I do allow that with monitoring as Cash is quite large.

My question is for all of you multiple dog owners out there.... when you brought your puppy home what types of things did you do to make sure the new pup bonded with YOU and your family. I already see the two dogs are buddies and I am definitely seeing Sam thinking he is Mr. Alpha already. I just want to make sure we are doing things right as I know the first 4 months of his life are critical! I don't want to isolate Cash too much but need tips!

Thanks!

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
Don't worry- as special as their bond will be as doggie brothers, both will still love you and your human family!

Some things I DO suggest are:

Separate crates and beds and bowls (except water)
Separate walks, even if only short ones
Separate training sessions/classes. If both dogs go the same evening or evening, it's fine, but try to have them in different classes, so that they're focused on the handler (you or other family member) and not watching eachother/trying to play
Groom each dog with the other dog put away. Brushing, combing- even only ten minutes each day.

I think you'll be just fine! :)

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
While Sam is worn out and in his crate, that is when you can take Cash out and have lots of one on one play time with him!

That's the great thing about puppies! They wear out fast and need lots of naps.

I don't know the general rule on who is the dominant dog etc. but with fosters , we always treated our own dogs as NO 1 and the fosters had to wait ther turn.
With a puppy, I would try to give Cash much attention first, like when you get home, before acknowledging Sam. When giving both treats, give Cash's first. That way, Sam will know Cash was there first and Cash hopefully won't be resentful of Sam's attention.
Please advise trainers if this is incorrect. : )

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
We found if we made ourselves the center of their universe, we had no bonding issues. I did this with Bailey as a puppy two. When my niece would bring him over I would have freeze dried liver treats ready. I wanted to be sure he thought I was, oh so wonderful, and would focus on me. It worked like a charm. Even now, 5 years later, Bailey is my boy when he visits!

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I make sure to have separate time with each of mine. They are together practically all the time, so when I get home from work I give them their own time in the backyard to pee and sniff around and have one inside that gets 100% cuddle time and belly rubs and everything they love so much. Then they switch and the other gets the attention and lovies. I think they both really enjoy it.. when I put one outside the other immediately comes over to me knowing they're about to get loved on. I usually walk them together in the interest of saving time, but I do also give them separate walks a few times a week... other than that, they are basically always together, and I haven't found that they've bonded with eachother more than me and my boyfriend AT ALL... they are both very people oriented dogs, but love eachother very much too.. and that's such a great arrangement :)

·
Registered
16,391 Posts
We have three goldens, and always go on a central adventure/hike all together every day. Then, I make time during each day for about 30 minutes of training individually , and each one has a class one night a week. Also, I try to rotate various dinners at people's houses/outings etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts