Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Remy's Mom!
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if many of you have been through this but it is exciting so I wanted to share. I have always loved Remy... I was the one who wanted a dog so badly and researched the breed for over a year before taking the plunge into puppy parenthood. And like I said... I've always loved my boy. But... I haven't been very bonded to him. It seemed like he immediately bonded to my boyfriend (who I live with) and although I spent more time with him, walked him, fed him... we just didn't have that connection that I wanted.

Well it seems like these past few days he and I have suddenly developed that bond. He wants to lay with me on the sofa, follows me around incessantly, and gives me kisses... Things he used to only do with my boyfriend. He used to jump off and leave the area if I tried to join him on the couch. Now he wants to cuddle.

The other thing I see is that he is being protective of me. The other day on our walk a man started following us. I'm 20 but look 13 and it freaked me out. Remy sensed me getting nervous and growled and barked at the man. The man turned and walked away rather quickly.

Anyway, I just had to post about how happy I am and how in love I am with my boy. There were days I thought about getting a new dog and rehoming Remy because he didn't seem happy around me. I'm so glad I didn't... It has been worth the wait!

Anyone else have Bonding stories?

Reactions: Orchid

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
It has been my experience that dogs bond best to the one who gives them the most time, food, love, etc. Though my dogs love my DH, they are 100% mine. Funny though, they mind him better (think it is his voice), but when they want love or snuggle/play time, it is to me they come.

On my toy breed, it was taking them to shows. The newness of it, staying in hotels and all the new people and dogs really pulled us together and from the first time they bonded to me. Made a special relationship with each that I treasure.

Remy was so young, he was running on his birth puppy brain cells. Now he is older and just got over a bad illness, he knows of your love and care and is bonding to you, which makes you bond to him. Just keep the work going and you will be rewarded 100 X over. Dogs don't want much, just food, a good place to keep warm and dry and lots and lots of love. They wake with a smile and enter each day as their first, they do not hold grudges nor pass judgement on our actions..they just LOVE. We humans could learn a lot from this.

Reactions: mayapaya

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
I suspect Remy has been operating on dog pack mode ... your DH was the alpha male and he just naturally kowtowed to him. It looked like bonding but maybe was more survival instinct.

I think at this age, the dogs have found their place in the pack and are more comfortable. Tucker is constantly looking for me--if I change places in the dog park, he has to find me and know where I am (just like a human toddler). But again I think that's more survival and that I'm the "leader of the pack."

Yesterday I took him when I picked up DD at school, and he went on alert looking for her. As she climbed the stops to the parking lot, she could hear him barking for her. Pleased her immensely...

It's great that Remy is loving you and protecting you. Especially after all the love and care you have poured into him for the past months...

·
Registered
200 Posts
So happy to hear that you are developing the bond you wanted with Remy. There is nothing more wonderful than the bond between dog and owner! It must have been so frustrating not to have the instant bond.

My girl loves my boyfriend, but she is very much my girl!! I am constantly proud and honored that I have such a strong bond with my girl.

·
Remy's Mom!
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was frustrating! But all worth it... he is my baby. I was so excited when he knocked some stuff down the other day, got scared, and ran and jumped in my arms. Guess that's a weird thing to get excited about but he's never done that before!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Males tend to stick with the family and bond a little more consistently than females do, but oddly, some dogs just prefer a male or female to bond with. We have had four GR's and two of them stuck to my husband like glue and two of them seem to have bonded to me. Remy still knows that you are the alpha in his life.

I agree with OutWest - it is also posssible that he may have tried to raise his position in the pack. As Remy matures he will sort it all out - it's part of the growth process.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think in my case, Ada was always kind of bonded with me because she would follow me around the house...but it was really hard to feel any kind of bond because she didn't like to cuddle (with either me or my husband) and the added stress of defiant puppy hood didn't allow for many warm fuzzies.

In the past couple weeks though she's started to enjoy sitting by me and being pet for a little while and has given me some cuddles. A couple nights ago she was laying down by the couch while we watched TV and I got up to go to the kitchen and she followed me. When I came back into the livingroom I was standing in the middle of the room, talking to my husband and Ada had followed me back into the room and laid down pressed up against me in the middle of the room, haha. Also, we've just started checking out the dog park and she'll occasionally stop doing her own thing and come over to see me which is cute.

So I've just recently started feeling more bonded with her and I can understand your excitement:).

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Remy

So glad for you and Remy!!

·
Phoebe's Dad
99 Posts
My wife and I have a Bichon Frise as well as our GR Phoebe. We had our Bichon first and she was attached to my wife. She would not sit with me or cuddle. She only wanted my wife.

I joked around with my wife saying that our Golden was going to be just like that to me and it will know I have always wanted one.

Sure enough, my Phoebe lays on the couch with me or lays on the floor by my feet.

She does not lay or sit near my wife most of the time as she has our Bichon lol

·
Registered
13,067 Posts
I wonder if Remy's new-found bond to you has to do with the wonderful care and love you showed him all those days and nights when he was so sick? I bet it does... :)

I've seen little reminders of my dog's bond to me through the years - a couple that come to mind:

When my dogwalker comes, my dog goes NUTS. She adores her walker. But this summer, when I was home with broken wrists, and my walker would come, the first couple times, my dog would go NUTS, but then come and sit with me, as if to say, "Oh, no. That's okay. I'll just stay here with her." Melted my heart.

Also, my never-barked-in-her-life dog suddenly started to bark at people who approached me when I had the casts on this summer. People we knew, people we didn't know, other dogs. I didn't get why she was suddenly barking so much - until I got the casts off, and realized she wasn't barking anymore. I found that really interesting.

·
Dog Lover for Life
220 Posts
My dogs love my Husband too but they do hang around me at all times.
I feed them, walk them and do training classes and normal day to day training with them. I'm the one that plays with them too.
So I'm the one they do listen to most.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts