Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Bolted and ran, and ran.....

569 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Baileysmom 
#1 ·
My four year old son let our Sam out today. It was chaotic trying to get her back as she just bolted out the front door and ran. I was panicked that she would get run over or something. Lucky for us she didn't ! Sam only bolts when my son is on his own with her, and he tries to go outside, she will push past him and run like their was no tomorrow!. probably cos' he is the youngest and smallest! pecking order huh? Anyway,she won't run and will stay on command with me or older children just my four year old. How do I change this behaviour? teach Sam that just because I am not there she can't bolt out the door? She didn't come back when called either. Obviously more training needed here I think! Any training tips for this situation would be helpful thanks.
P.s She gets lots of exercise and outdoor play, it's not that she is pining to go out and play!!!!!

#3 ·
The only issues we had with our first golden was with my youngest son as well. I think he definitely thought he was alpha over my son. We did have him practice "commanding" the dog while we were around and that helped a little bit. We had him practice the sit, down, stay, come commands and then had him run him through his tricks. The trainer for Bailey's obedience classes encourages the kids to come and learn the commands. She had some of the kids work last week with a "wait" command -- used at the front door. They were told to practice in a doorway at home before trying it at the front door!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.