Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Boiling whole turkey (with skin) stew safe for dogs?

787 9
I substituted a turkey instead of chicken for the Whole Pet Stew I'm trying. I took out half the skin, and later removed the rest when deboning the meat.

Searched the Internet if turkey makes dogs sleepy and ended up finding articles about - turkey dangerous to dogs or - turkey can cause pancreatitis.

The stew is her meal, no kibble and the skin is in the broth to supply fat. Is that too much fat? Is turkey really dangerous for dogs?
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
7,599 Posts
The skin is the fattiest part of the turkey, throw it away. Then to get the fat out of the rest of the stew, put your pot of stew in the fridge overnight. The fat will rise to the surface and solidify and you can just lift it off and throw it away.
I think the fat is what would cause pancreatitis.

· Banned
464 Posts
I substituted a turkey instead of chicken for the Whole Pet Stew I'm trying. I took out half the skin, and later removed the rest when deboning the meat.

Searched the Internet if turkey makes dogs sleepy and ended up finding articles about - turkey dangerous to dogs or - turkey can cause pancreatitis.

The stew is her meal, no kibble and the skin is in the broth to supply fat. Is that too much fat? Is turkey really dangerous for dogs?
No its not dangerous. That is the trouble with getting information from the internet. Turkey has a fraction of the fat in chicken. If I remember correctly chicken has twice as much fat as turkey per gram.

The skin of both birds will have much more fat than the meat but turkey has far less.

Does the recipe say keep 1/2 the skin?

· Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The recipe said 5lb chicken bones skin and all because dogs need some fat. Not sure how much fat in kibble and from what.

Recipe from Halo, also some dog claimed to live over 20 on the canned version of this food. Figured worth a try making it myself.

Spot’s Chicken Stew
2 ½ pounds whole chicken
¼ cup chopped fresh garlic
1 cup green peas
1 cup coarsely chopped carrots
½ cup coarsely chopped sweet potato
½ cup coarsely chopped zucchini
½ cup coarsely chopped yellow squash
½ cup coarsely chopped green beans
½ cup coarsely chopped celery
1 tablespoon kelp powder
1 tablespoon dried rosemary
11 to 16 cups spring water

Dog Food Company Shares Spot

· Registered
2,567 Posts
I always thought the skin from poultry was not good for dogs, but again something I just heard. I'd boil it with the skin if you want a little fat in it, but I think I'd take the skin off afterwards.

· Love my two goldens!
205 Posts
There is L-tryptophan in turkey so maybe that's where some of this myth lies. Most people don't realize that chicken has just as much L-tryptophan as turkey. I think you should feed the whole bird.

I buy my green tripe from mypetcarnivore. They sell a big variety of frozen meats. They sell turkey as the whole bird ground up minus the feathers and intestines.

· Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all. Just needed reassurance :) She loved it of course haha. I'm thinking the actual skin if fed to dogs is too high in fat...but if it's rendered in the broth it may be ok (I discarded the rest of the skin that dind't render and scooped out excess fat floating on top). Dog food probably has lots more and we don't know from which parts...

I'll update the thread if this homemade stew has made any difference in a few weeks. There's so much supplementation involved with homemade

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.