Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I took Bogey to one of the nature preserves in town and let him play with the pumpkins. I also tried to test out some of the techniques I am learning in my SLR Photography class. Unfortunately, I came home with some of the worst pictures I have ever taken, so I apologize for the quality, but he's too cute not to share.

For those of you who shoot with an SLR, manual is much harder than it sounds, eh? Yikes! I hope I'm not the only person who gets worse before they get better.

Attachments

·
Mom to 9 :)
2,383 Posts
I would be SO happy if my pictures came out that good--he's posing so good for you!

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Beautiful picture!! He is so handsome :)

I've had days where I take my camera our for hours and come back with NO good shots.... its always when I'm getting adventurous and trying out new camera settings. LOL Don't worry it does get easier to figure out!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks - I hope I figure out the manual settings soon. It is harder with a squirmy subject who doesn't give you time to really figure out what you are doing before he moves! I've been taking some photography classes/seminars at the local community college. I am hoping by next summer I'll have the talent (and the money!) to upgrade my gear.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I pulled a little of the redness out of the original, what do ya think?
Actually, what's bugging me is that if you look close you can see little circular rainbows all over the place. It looks like he's in a bubble - there are weird purple glares. I have no idea what I did to cause that.

Maybe I needed a higher ISO? It was at 200.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The sun was in front of me at about 10 or 11 o'clock. And it has been raining all week. This is also the first picture I've ever taken without the filter on. I actually had no idea there was a filter on my lens - I thought it was just glass to protect it. I bought all my stuff from a friend, so he must have had it on there. Maybe I should put it back?

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I would put the filter back on for sure. Most folks keep one on to protect the lens if nothing else.

Not sure what caused that though but it almost looks like there was some moisture in the air or something along with the sun coming through it.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
He looks gorgeous and I like the effect even if you didnt mean to do it.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, Carol.

Okay - I am putting the filter back on! Thanks!

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
I don't know the first thing about the camera stuff, but I love the photo!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, Barb! I'm still learning, but most days it's fun. When I come visit Tito and I will do a photoshoot!

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
He's as cute as can be. I'm sure there's a technical explanation for the little purple flares, but I'd like to think it's his happy aura captured on 'film'.

Beautiful!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After talking to some pros, it turns out the rings are likely from the aperture being set too wide and the shutter speed being too slow. I think that actually makes sense.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts