Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are going on a cruise in a little over a year. I’m curious, how do you choose someplace to board your dogs? Do you board them together? I basically have 2 pairs of dogs. All to the same place or different places?

Winx - she is fine with anything.
Pilot - fine with pretty much everything but he’s a softy.

Roxanne - sounds fierce but has never offered to hurt anyone. She’s a nervous dog.
Emmy - as long as she’s being fed, she’s good.

I know that I don’t want them let out in a yard with other dogs and I’ll have to look for a place that will accept an intact dog. I’m seriously considering looking for in home care for them.

I know I have a while but I worry about their safety. A dog was accidentally given to the wrong family at a local boarding place recently and then there’s K9 Karson, who was missing from a boarding place for over a month in the dead of winter.

I’m thinking about checking out a place that has Chesapeake Bay Retrievers and does boarding. I believe the owner is a field trainer.

2 1/2 weeks without my dogs is kind of bothering me a little I think.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
Why don't you hire a housesitter instead?

I don't go often but when I do, the house sitter is the only way it is manageable.

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,141 Posts
I prefer to use a House sitter too on the rare occasions I go somewhere without my dogs.

I feel they are more comfortable being at home, I don't worry about whether or not they are getting the care I want them to have, are being put in situations I wouldn't want them to be in and having someone staying in my house is a bonus.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Another vote for in house care. I am a little leery of services so I try to find reliable older teens whose family I know. Homeschooled teens are often a good choice or teenagers in the neighborhood. You can usually get someone good if you are offering to pay the same rate you would pay a kennel.

·
Maegan
580 Posts
If you don't want to go the house-sitting route, call Jenny Resendez. She lives in Bellville. I know it's not that close to the Cleveland area (it's an hour north of Columbus), but she's a golden person and understands dogs. Her rates are also very reasonable. https://www.facebook.com/Jrsgoldenangels/

The Lodge

AND she doesn't go for the bull crap of "Pay more and your dog gets more attention and extra treats". Anyway, Jenny's awesome and my dogs had a wonderful time when they stayed for almost 10 days early in the summer. Eevee was only 12 weeks at the time and she did great!

Reactions: Megora

·
Registered
250 Posts
I prefer to use a House sitter too on the rare occasions I go somewhere without my dogs.

I feel they are more comfortable being at home, I don't worry about whether or not they are getting the care I want them to have, are being put in situations I wouldn't want them to be in and having someone staying in my house is a bonus.
I recently did a post. Definitely agree. With my senior in a prior state I had a senior friend also, that always took her. Here now that we’ve moved, I have an excellent boarding place for HER. I just don’t think now with Tucker that it works at this stage. Currently looking for a permanent solution for a sitter. Thankfully my trip was canceled so I have some time.

For us my husband is in oil so we have both the benefit and the challenge of his schedule (home a month. Gone a month) and I travel on occasion. Plus work from home largely. We are so active with them it sure feels balanced but the resolution for those times our schedules cross... currently being researched.

Home for the pups had my vote too. Or a super trusted loved ones home that they’re super familiar with.

My search continues ?

·
Kate
21,295 Posts
I have to travel for work for 1 week every month.

While I'm gone, the dogs stay home with my family. It would never in a million years occur to me to board my dogs anywhere.

HOWEVER.

If I did not have family who I trusted to take care of my dogs right there at home, I would board my dogs vs relying on housesitters. :(

My baby sister and her family had to go down to Mississippi for 2 months. Rather than bring the pets (St. Bernard and 2 cats) with, they made arrangements with their neighbors to watch/feed them + had another family take the St. Bernard home with them.

Everything was OK until the other family had to go on leave and brought the St. Bernard home to leave him in the care of the neighbors.

St. Bernard broke out of the house and was found wandering on base. If he were not chipped, probably would have been much worse.

The window that he broke through was open the whole time (over 12 hours) and my sister lost one of her cats. The cat is still missing. And they have been searching desperately for her for 2 months. The cat is chipped, but has not turned up anywhere.

W/R to boarding - the dangers of boarding is you have to recognize that all of the really bad viruses that have rocked the dog world recently... had their start at boarding kennels. Which is probably a biggest reason to really search around for the most conscientious kennel you can....

Up here in MI there is a golden breeder who just opened up a boarding kennel and it really looks very clean and nice. <= That's probably the direction I'd go if I had no other choice.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Another vote for house sitting! I used to house sit quite frequently when I was in college/ recent grad living at home. The situation that Megora is describing is really unfortunate, but in my experience when someone is staying in the house, those types of situations are very rare.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Yet another vote for a house sitter. The hard part is to find someone you like and trust. Personal recommendations are the way to go. One of the technicians at our vet's office does house sitting. A friend of mine hires the responsible teenage kids of fellow agility competitors (my 17-year-old, who has worked part-time at a kennel for the last three years as her weekend/summer job) has done this. I also have a friend who lives locally and has been house-sitting for years. If your town/community has a Facebook page, you might find someone through that. And training clubs are a good source of information too.

It's comforting to know that the dogs are safe, in their own home.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I've only ever used house/dog sitters!
I like knowing that my dogs are comfortable in their own home and maintaining their same routine!

My last golden was way to scared of kennels and my current older golden doesn't do well with a large amount of dogs. The puppy would probably be fine as long as her sister was with her, but I just feel more comfortable with a dog sitter!

We are also going on a cruise in February...so we will be in the same position!

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Ask around at your local training place, someone has probably used a house sitter and had good luck with them.

I do a little bit of pet-sitting on the side, and almost all of my "clients" are people I know through my training center or people who were referred to me from people at my training center. That way too they're probably savvy enough to know how to handle a nervous dog.

Reactions: cwag

·
Registered
484 Posts
I used to work as a groomer at a vet clinic that also had boarding services. I would never dream of leaving my dog at a boarding facility. The dogs in boarding at my clinic were fed, medicated, whatever; but they only took them out to potty twice a day and it can be ridiculously loud back there with all the dogs barking and carrying on-very intimidating to many dogs. I remember one particular little yorkie named Gracie-we all dreaded when she was in boarding, shrill loud yipping that you could hear throughout the entire clinic literally non-stop. I kept wishing she'd lose her voice but that never happened-lets just say you went home with a headache after listening to that all day. Plus, we once had a kennel cough outbreak in the boarding facility-this despite the fact that all dogs are required to have an up to date bordetella vaccine and all the runs are scrubbed down daily with disinfectant.

Before I was married I did a little house sitting on the side, often for people who had dogs and horses since I am experienced with horses as well. The dogs are much more comfortable and happy at their own home. I have also dog sat friend's dogs at my own house-the dogs also seem pretty happy with that type of thing too. My sister still does some dog sitting at her house on the side-she had one golden that loved coming to her house so much the owner was a bit jealous, lol! Right now, we hardly ever go anywhere that the dog can't come too, but when we do need to leaver her behind my family takes her. Or if they can't take her, I have a friend who is retired and she does dog sitting-she doesn't stay overnight, but she comes about 3x per day to take them out and loves on them lots-plus she knows horses and can take care of the horses too!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts