Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to the forum. My wife and I are looking to get a GR and at this time we are having trouble finding a breeder in the greater Seattle area with available puppies in our time frame. A friend suggested and recommended we try GRCBC. My question is, is there anything specific that needs to be done in order to get a puppy in BC and drive home with said puppy. Do we just drive across as if we came and went with the puppy the whole time? Thank in advance.
Doug

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
We had a dog (older dog) cross from the States into Canada, so I'm not sure how different it is to go the other way, but what we needed was an up to date rabies certificate and I'm pretty sure they had to give the amount they "paid" for the dog (they adopted the dog we rescued as a stray so they didn't buy her, we just made up an amount, SHH!) and that was about it.

Here's a link to the CDC.

CDC - Bringing an Animal into U.S.: Dogs - Animal Importation

It says dogs that are too young to be vaccinated for rabies (under 3 months old) have to be confined at home until they're old enough, then vaccinated, and then confined for another 30 days.

I'm not sure what they mean by confinement... like, the dog can't leave the property or something? That would be a bummer because the first three months are prime socialization times.

I would try to find a puppy in the US before going this route, if at all possible.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
all you need is a health certificate and something ie. contract that gives the puppies age so that there is no need for a rabies cert because it will show the pup is to young. I have done this several times from Ontario and its not a big deal. The last time we went we got stopped at the border and we had to go inside but only cause the staff inside wanted to see the puppy. It was not a big deal. With an adult dog you will need a current rabies cert done no less than two weeks prior to crossing but with a pup you just need the health cert. as is my understanding.

I think its a good idea to check the Canadian Club

1 - 3 of 3 Posts