Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the second morning in a row, Duffy's had diarrhea in his crate overnight. I can only assume its the Blue Buffalo I've been transitioning him to. I've read that it can be too rich for some dogs.

I'm going to try the Purina Pro Plan lg breed puppy and see if that helps.

What are you all feeding your pups?

Please send get well wishes to my poor boy.

Kris

·
Registered
643 Posts
Oh I am sooo sorry to hear that - I just gave her a handful of Blue Buffalo with her lunch, since I am planning to transition her off Iams. I guess I'll go extra slow with it, maybe skip it for dinner altogether. What has Duffy been eating so far?

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Duffy came with Purina lg breed puppy chow. I wanted to put him on something a bit higher quality and researched and researched and decided on Blue Buffalo. I have since read that BB can be too rich for some dogs. So maybe your pup will be ok with it.

I'm disappointed because BB seems such a great quality with good ingredients.

How old is your pup? And what are you transitioning from?

Kris

·
luv my goldens
481 Posts
I am in the processo fo transitioning Sierra to Blue Buffalo and so far things seem to be going good. We are taking it nice and slow. We started the transition a week ago and so far things seem to be okay.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Duffy came with Purina lg breed puppy chow. I wanted to put him on something a bit higher quality and researched and researched and decided on Blue Buffalo. I have since read that BB can be too rich for some dogs. So maybe your pup will be ok with it.

I'm disappointed because BB seems such a great quality with good ingredients.

How old is your pup? And what are you transitioning from?

Kris
She's 13 weeks, and I'm transitioning from Iams puppy. From what I've heard its not the greatest for them. I haven't done much research, but I saw the Blue Buffalo recommended in a couple different sources. I also want something that is available at the pet store - I'm just not going to be able to travel to a specialty store, or count on mail order (I know I'd forget and wait until the last minute). I just know myself and want to be practical.
I'll keep my fingers crossed!

·
Registered
86 Posts
We use 'Hills Science Plan' from day one, Daisy is great with it, never had problems with it - Unfortunately it just happens to also be the most expensive food here, but we read up on it, got recommendations etc, so we're sticking to it. Her coat,skin etc looks really good from this diet (it's balanced with the protein - too much protein will send a puppy totally hyper! and my ,oh my, they are hyper enough lol).

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
I'm sorry the BB isn't working. I tried it with my cat, she got diarrhea too! I've heard of a lot of animals being unable to tolerate it. If you just started the transition- give it some time... Sometimes it seems like we should let the pets stay on what they do best with, not what we want them to be on. It's hard though, when we want the best for them.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hear you on that, Melissa. He was on Purina One large breed and nice firm stools. But I felt the nutrition was not 'there' on that food. I'm going to try Purina Pro Plan, same manufacturer but better quality of food.

One thing to watch for is the amount of calcium and also the amount of protein. Neither should be too high. Around 25% on the protein and 1% or below on the calcium.

Kris

·
Registered
227 Posts
I took off my dog from Purina Pro Plan last month. For over a month he had a diarrhea from it. He was on Purina for 8-10 months before diarrhea, never had good stool. Once he stopped eating Purina, everything went fine. He's now on Trainer Natural and cooked chicken meat with vegetables.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We just made the switch from BB to Purina Pro Plan. Marley is doing much better-kinda feel bad because BB ingred. list sounds better. Was recommended Pro Plan line by a vet that has been feeding his dogs that brand for a while now. After the next puppy large breed bag goes we will try the shredded lamb and rice mix.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Best of luck on the Pro-Plan. I'm fairly certain that I will feed our new puppy Pro-Plan when we her him/her in the summer. Our cat does well on it too, I guess we'll be a Pro-Plan family! I also like that I see Pro-Plan coupons all the time. In my email directly from Purina, in the Pennysaver, online.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For the second morning in a row, Duffy's had diarrhea in his crate overnight. I can only assume its the Blue Buffalo I've been transitioning him to. I've read that it can be too rich for some dogs.

I'm going to try the Purina Pro Plan lg breed puppy and see if that helps.

What are you all feeding your pups?

Please send get well wishes to my poor boy.

Kris

Guinness my nine month old puppy had diarrhea for awhile. He was on blue buffalo chicken and rice. We switched him to the lamb and rice which helped. Sometimes Goldens have a hard time digesting chicken protein and that causes the diarrhea.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I just switched Murphy to Purina Pro Plan and it's going great. His stools are finally firmer and it seems to agree with his stomach. I would definitely recommend it.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
To everyone that is feeding ProPlan I would not do the shredded blend of foods. The shredded pieces have alot of soy in it with can cause some skin issues in some dogs. When the new blend came out I started feeding that to my dogs and Bama started chewing his feet, the vet said some dogs can have a problem with soy. I go with the ProPlan all life stages chicken and rice with the golden retriever on the cover and purple label.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We just made the switch from BB to Purina Pro Plan. Marley is doing much better-kinda feel bad because BB ingred. list sounds better. Was recommended Pro Plan line by a vet that has been feeding his dogs that brand for a while now. After the next puppy large breed bag goes we will try the shredded lamb and rice mix.
Carrie,

Just wanted to warn you....I had my other dog on the shredded mix and he LOVED the shreds. However, the gas was horrible! Someone here on the forum told me that the shreds contain soy which can cause gas. Not saying Marley will get gas from it, too, but in case he suddenly does you'll know the cause - lol!

Kris

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
A lot of the so-called "premium" foods are too rich for some dogs. 30% protein by weight is a pretty substantial amount, so the ones that are even higher often cause more problems than they might solve.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I actually feed Toby Blue Buffalo (puppy feed) and have been doing so from the day we got him. Maybe it's the transition that's causing the problem, anyway good luck with your golden.

·
Registered
306 Posts
we just switched from iams puppy to blue buffalo puppy. i honestly wouldn't sweat the loose stools when swapping foods, especially after two days.

layla had HORRIBLE gas but is fine now. her stools are firm and she absolutely loves the food.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts