Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Chelsea
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week it was nice and warm out and she was outside from around 9-7pm while we were outside. I was wondering if that could have kicked her into blowing her coat.

The past few days she is shedding like crazy. She is almost 13 months old. Healthy dog, nice coat. I brush her and get several huge handfuls of fur each time.

Also, I read something that around 12 months or so, the dog will blow their coat and get their adult coat in? Could this be what is happening?

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Jaro is almost a year and when I brush I get handfulls of fur. It they are blowing there will big puff balls all around even without brushing, and i mean big. I have also heard that this is about the time they blow a puppy coat, so I am expecting it soon too.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Shedding is starting here as well.

I've read that the longer daylight hours is what triggers shedding rather than temps.

·
Chelsea
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jaro is almost a year and when I brush I get handfulls of fur. It they are blowing there will big puff balls all around even without brushing, and i mean big. I have also heard that this is about the time they blow a puppy coat, so I am expecting it soon too.
Yes, there are HUGE balls of fluff all over. Inside her crate on her blanket and around the crate was full of hair. Her blanket was COVERED in hair.

How long does this last? :doh:

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Brady started blowing his coat last Thursday, right after his bath.

The birds are going to have some very warm nests, I put it all outside for them.

·
Chelsea
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brady started blowing his coat last Thursday, right after his bath.

The birds are going to have some very warm nests, I put it all outside for them.
Good Idea! Do you see the birds taking it?

·
Registered
424 Posts
And here I was thinking that I was just being lazy leaving hair on the backyard lawn. Now I can say that I am helping the birds :)

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Jack blew his coat in a major way at about 1 year. It was a mess, literally! The only thing that helped was when his handler used a coat king on him to get all the dead undercoat out. That and lots of swiffering and vacuuming!

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Both of our boys are blowing their coats right now. They had baths last weekend and I took a ton of hair off of them and it's still coming out. It's the usual end of winter/beginning of spring coat blow. It happens every year around this time. I'm just grateful that we have a good dog dryer to blow out their coats and get a lot of the dead hair out.

·
Maggie Mae's Mom Too!
597 Posts
Tucker began coat blow about a month ago..... Since we only guess he's a year old, it makes sense. this was NOT just seasonal shed..... His hair came out in LOADS. He looks naked now! :(, and I hate the comments of " What's wrong with your dog?" that you get at the park etc..... I answer " He's on his way to his big boy look". My vaccum cleaner has been out for a month. I don't even bother putting it away! I am SO excited to see what Tucker's real coat will reveal! REALLY REALLY REALLY EXCITED!

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Oh no! I just warned my mom :) Haha I havn't noticed Joeys shedding any MORE than usual.. but hes in need of a bath so maybe.. hm.
You might get lucky! Mojo hardly blows his coat at all. He didn't last year and hasn't this year so far!!

·
Registered
541 Posts
can very puffy fur be a sign Jackson is ready to blow his coat?

I don't notice him shedding much more than usual, but he seems to be a little itchy up above his bum....and the hair up there is SUPER SUPER thick, seems thicker than usual....and it's getting puffy back there too. This is the area on his back just before the tail and above his hips. So just wondering if this hair is getting ready to come out and shed?

He's 7-1/2 months old so this would be our first "coat blow" if it's happening right now.....but between the seasonal change and him just getting older I can't really tell if it's the winter-to-spring changeover happening or just him getting his adult hair in :confused:

Thanks!

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
can very puffy fur be a sign Jackson is ready to blow his coat?

I don't notice him shedding much more than usual, but he seems to be a little itchy up above his bum....and the hair up there is SUPER SUPER thick, seems thicker than usual....and it's getting puffy back there too. This is the area on his back just before the tail and above his hips. So just wondering if this hair is getting ready to come out and shed?

He's 7-1/2 months old so this would be our first "coat blow" if it's happening right now.....but between the seasonal change and him just getting older I can't really tell if it's the winter-to-spring changeover happening or just him getting his adult hair in :confused:

Thanks!
Brush him back there and see. That's where Missy sheds the heaviest.

·
Coley - my cuddle bug
2,336 Posts
I think that's what Coley was going through in January. I finally made an appt. at Pet Smart and they have a special package where they actually brush him prior to and after the bath for a total of an hour. They also use a special shampoo that aids in releasing the dead hair.

Prior to that I was raking TONS of hair however not quite as much as the picture! lol Now he's just shedding normally I think. Duke never blew his coat so I just wasn't sure.

Sunday was the first day I vacuumed him. He did fine with it so that might be an option for us anyway. We never had to vacuum Duke but Cole's coat is like a carpet underneath. Beautiful but hard to manage. Thankfully it doesn't mat at all and I do rake him quite reguarly. Well, for me anyway - about 2-3X/week. Is that pretty normal?

I also keep his feet trimmed nicely as they are beautiful feet although big. He uses them like clubs. He's so funny. He'll box with his dad - what a nut he is!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts