Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see some goldens described as 'blocky'. What exactly does this mean? And what would be the opposite of blocky??

I new to the golden world, this is probably a basic question. Inquiring minds need to know!

Kris

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
And although it's not quite the opposite, if you had to find a description that is the opposite of "blocky," I would use the word "snipey," since that describes a dog with a narrow, pointed muzzle, and dogs like that generally don't give the appearance of having that "block-type" of headpiece. (JMHO)

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, they are both so beautiful. I think Duffy is going to be a blockhead.

I love the snow noses....see I know something!

Kris

·
Registered
215 Posts
My dog Zipper I would describe as blocky. My husband who knows little about dogs and even less about dog lingo nicknamed him blockhead:) If you click on my albums, he is the one on my profile picture.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Our boys are both pretty blocky. Tyson is only 8 weeks old, but he already has a pretty square head.

This is Tucker, who has a block head:

Here is Tyson (who we just got today) who is probably going to be pretty blocky like his parents. He already has a wide snout and a pretty big head.

·
Dog Lover for Life
220 Posts
I love the Block heads also. Short, wide mussle, or short stop. My first Golden was a female and she had a long narrow mussle and her head was more narrow.
All the best,
Elke, ZsaZsa and Bogart

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Rookie is kind of in the middle. His head is not particularly blocky, but it's blocky enough that people who know golden retrievers would know he's a male.

It's also interesting how different he looks from different angles. I think in the first photo, his head looks a fair bit blockier than it does in the second photo. The third photo also looks a bit blockier.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Here is Vito as a puppy and Vito now (almost 2 years old). As a puppy he seemed to have a block head. However now, his head is more narrow.

puppy4-12-08 016.jpg

IMG_3743.jpg

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
A blocky head can definitely be explained in technical terms by someone smarter than me. It has to do with the amount of backskull, the proportion of muzzle length and width, and the "stop" or angle between muzzle and forehead. Some dogs are so blocky they lose breed type and are called "coarse" or "overdone; at the other extreme are goldens with pointy noses or flat collie heads with no stop. Tally has a blocky head; Finn does not have a blocky head

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv72/finn8811/IMG_3838.jpg
FINN.1.jpg[/IMG]http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh287/ljilly28/Lake0409/IMG_2466-1-1.jpg

·
Registered
97 Posts
My vet was nuzzling Piper on Thursday and murmured "Oh, you blocky girl" So I guess I have a blockhead.

Attachments

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Another question...

Does the blocky head have to do with
-male vs female (male having wider skull, female narrower)
-male being neutered later (male hormones contributing to wider skull)
-field lines vs show lines
-genetics

1 - 20 of 57 Posts