Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reaason my laptop is blocking me from accessing this site. I have used my laptop here for at least a year with no problem. One day when I clicked on this site the page kept coming up repeatedly over and over again. The only way I could stop it was to shut down my computer. Now I can no longer access this site. I am using an old and very slow computer to type this tonight. I miss being able to communicate with the group. I have tried resetting everything and cleaning out my history and temp files without success.
Any suggestions? I hope someone can help...

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Just taking a guess...Try adding the site to your contact list in your email application. And reset your browser, as in flushing the cache. This will slow some things down, but not for long.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Do both pc's use the same ip address? Does somebody else in your house have an id on GRF?

I remember a few years ago they put a block on more than one id per ip address. They asked us if there was more than one member to contact Joe so he could unblock the ip address. It was to prevent people from making up multiple personalities. Just a thought.

·
Administrator
16,472 Posts
I am not really sure on this one. If you can access it from one computer but not another, from the same location, it sounds like a computer issue with your newer lap top. I wonder if your computer, or a virus program, you have blocked this site as a safety precaution since it reloaded so many times that one day and would not stop?

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
One more thought: Try using a different browser on the same computer, which will tell you whether it's a browser problem. I suggest this because sometimes changes to a site cause my usual browser to malfunction and I switch to a different browser for a day or two while the problem is resolved.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I am using Google Chrome now because it will block more annoyances like rolling ads. I recommend Google Chrome or Firefox with AdBlock Plus added on (in the tools menu). If it is your work laptop and it only allows you to use Explorer, I believe Golden Camper suggested in another thread you can get a USB drive and run Firefox through it. I don't see why you couldn't download Chrome and/or Firefox and just tell the prompt that you want to keep Explorer as your default browser for your work, then you simply click on the desktop icon for FF or Chrome to go online for GRF.

Otherwise--get a Kindle Fire if you can afford it ($199) and use it. We MISS you!!

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am using Google Chrome now because it will block more annoyances like rolling ads. I recommend Google Chrome or Firefox with AdBlock Plus added on (in the tools menu). If it is your work laptop and it only allows you to use Explorer, I believe Golden Camper suggested in another thread you can get a USB drive and run Firefox through it. I don't see why you couldn't download Chrome and/or Firefox and just tell the prompt that you want to keep Explorer as your default browser for your work, then you simply click on the desktop icon for FF or Chrome to go online for GRF.

Otherwise--get a Kindle Fire if you can afford it ($199) and use it. We MISS you!!
Well...this is my work laptop which I use about 99% of the time and there is absolutley no way I can download another browser. I have tried everything and I think I am stuck. I need to look into getting a new personal computer or kindle or some other device. In the meantime guys I won't be able to post as much... : (

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Could your work be blocking you from coming here? I know some work places dont allow people to go to certain sites if they worry about spam or viruses.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, my sub company...I actually have two layers of companies, thinks my computer has a virus or malware or something that has affected some of my key sites because I am now unable to access my work email. :(
So I need to take the laptop in to IT and have them take a look at it.
Hopefully I will get this resolved soon and be up and running again. I am so careful about the sites I visit with this laptop but I guess it doesn't matter how careful you are...

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, this is a mystery. I tried dozens of things unsuccessfully. I called IT and made an appointment to have them look at my computer but before I could even take it in it started working again. I can now access this site...YIPEE! I don't know how long it will last but for today it is working.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Well, this is a mystery. I tried dozens of things unsuccessfully. I called IT and made an appointment to have them look at my computer but before I could even take it in it started working again. I can now access this site...YIPEE! I don't know how long it will last but for today it is working.
Ya scared it into compliance and I sure am glad you did!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts