Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sisters GSD has had the early stages of bloat twice now. Luckily my sister recognized the symptoms right away and took action and it never got to the point where she had to take him in but scary nonetheless. The part that I am not sure about is last night when it started happening she gave him hydrogen peroxide to make him throw up the meal he just ate to prevent the torsion. I don't think that was the right thing to do...

My understanding was that the reason for bloat to happen was too much air in the stomach and getting the dog to belch is what you are aiming for. I had heard before to give them a gas-x to get them to belch but giving peroxide to get them to throw up doesn't seem like the solution.

She acted in a state of panic. He has licking the air, dry heaving, his stomach was a hard rock and he wimpered when she touched it so she did what she had to do in that moment of panic. I just want to know what the right action to take is when you start to notice symptoms of bloat.

It was very odd to have happened twice now and she is very concerned. It apparently is more common in GSD, and he is male, but he hadn't done anything to have that happen. He was just sitting around. It is my biggest fear so I just want to always be prepared...

Any input on this?

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A lot of the symptoms are what I described above, licking at the air, trying to vomit but nothing is coming up (biggest sign), stomach gets very hard, usually they show they are uncomfortable when you touch it (whimper), sometimes they get an arched back, restlessness...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Thanks - those at least sound like they would be obvious, especially trying to vomit with nothing coming up. I've always worried that the signs would be very subtle until it's too late.

Also, I thought I had read in a past post that hydrogen peroxide could potentially cause bloat?? Is there any truth in that???

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,080 Posts
Somewhere on this Forum, and on the internet, there is a Bloat chart that describes the symptoms and the course of action to take. I would suggest printing this chart off and posting it somewhere in your house. There is lots of information on the internet about bloat......it's good to familiarize yourself with it in hopes of preventing it.

I lost my Phoenix to bloat in March, 2009. He had the surgery but wasn't able to recover and passed away 2 days later. I don't need to tell you it was one of the worst days of my life!!!!

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,080 Posts
Thanks - those at least sound like they would be obvious, especially trying to vomit with nothing coming up. I've always worried that the signs would be very subtle until it's too late.

Also, I thought I had read in a past post that hydrogen peroxide could potentially cause bloat?? Is there any truth in that???

They are.....you may think they have a tummy ache, which is what we thought as Phoenix was the picture of health. As soon as we realized it was something more, he was at the vet. I'm paranoid now so if I see one of my guys showing even one symptom, he's at the vet!!!

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Laurie, I am SO sorry to hear that. It breaks my heart. I can imagine paranoia would take over! I am paranoid and never had it happen.

I have the bloat chart printed but I think I will print another for my sister. It doesn't say anything about gasx or hydrogen peroxide though so hopefully someone has some insight on if either/neither/both are okay to give.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
The bloat chart is in the health section and is a sticky. I always keep on hand the gasX strips and would definitely give those at any sign of bloat. I wouldn't make the dog vomit. With all his symptoms, I probably would have headed off to the ER. Time is very much of the essence with bloat. She may want to talk to her vet about the pros and cons of having his stomach tacked.

Reactions: CAROLINA MOM

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I dont think any of the phases take long to pass through once it has begun. That is why it is so urgent to get them help. I have heard the whole process can take as little as one hour.

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
It doesn't take long at all. My girl bloated and torsed in less than an hour. If it weren't for a pro handler who forwent showing his string and got his bloat kit instead, she would have died. She had the surgery and luckily survived. Another, young dog bloated at the same show and was put down-it was his 3rd time.

My girl's stomach was tacked and she never bloated again, although she would sometimes fill up with gas. I would massage her stomach and she would pass the gas-I have never smelled anything so bad! Wish I had known about the gas-x back then.

Definitely look into the tacking thing-it can be a life saver.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts