Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
What's the opinion on the gastroplexy. Is it a good thing to have done while they get fixed? I seen so many things on bloat and I'm so up in the air about what to do and I have some time to decide I just wanna make the right choice.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
What's the opinion on the gastroplexy. Is it a good thing to have done while they get fixed? I seen so many things on bloat and I'm so up in the air about what to do and I have some time to decide I just wanna make the right choice.
Our local Weim rescue does gastroplexy with every spay/neuter. My understanding is they can still bloat, but not twist. It is still an emergency though.

·
Dog Lover
42,036 Posts
These were the signs for our Snobear

These were the signs for our Snobear:

Penny and Maggie's Mom

Thank you so much for posting this BLOAT CHART and everyone should look at it and get your dog to a vet IMMEDIATELY if you suspect bloat!!

bouviers.net

P.S. FOR US SIGNS were: Snobear was trying to throw up and poop at same time but nothing was coming out, he seemed ancy and anxious and was pacing and finally he just laid down exhausted. We checked his gums and they were VERY PALE, ALMOST WHITE!
Snobear had BLOAT!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just read this thread and I'm so glad I did. I knew not to feed just before or after exercise but did not know water could be a problem. Indy always wants to drink a lot when we come back from our walks. I'm sure he is still adjusting to climate change, coming from Indiana to south Florida. I usually interrupt him to slow him down because he would sometimes drink fast and then throw it up. I'm going to be watching him like a hawk.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Bloating in puppies?

hello! we asked tanjobi's vet before if it was possible for puppies to have bloated tummies, she said no. all my life i believed her, until tonight. this evening, we went out for 30mins to eat and we left him home alone. he overturned the table, defecated, peed, spilled his water, and most of all.. he ate all the food in the pan that was supposed to be his lunch (but was not given to him) and dinner. right now, i happened to touch his belly and it was hard like a balloon about to pop! i drew my ear close to his tummy, it seemed like it had to digest a large amount of food. i was worried. i researched about this then the sites told me that it could have worms. when i think about it, its been a while since he hadnt taken the dewormer. right now, he's sleeping soundly. i checked his gums, observed him whether he was restless or not, massaged his tummy, etc.

he played with us before sleeping, peed, and his gums were normal. its too late to go to the vet now. help? thanks

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
He probably just over ate. It is very uncommon for a puppy to get bloat. It is caused more from them getting to much air in their belly when eating to fast. If you notice your pup trying to vomit and nothing coming up or pacing ect take him to a emergency vet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is most useful my friend has sadly just lost a dog to bloat and I have to admit I had never heard of it and it scared me that something so awful could happen and I wouldn't no what to do.

Thank you for this, I now know what to look for

61 - 73 of 73 Posts